• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any theories on why prices seem to be dropping with a lot of books?
5 5

194 posts in this topic

2008-2019... pretty much every major character has already made it way to the movies or tv shows and they've been recycled/rehashed too many times to be hot or spec'ed on... that and a bad economy/global pandemic doesn't really give anyone any hype or reason to buy/invest in books... even b4 this started.. Black Widow and WW84 were the main movies for the year... yeah Birds of Prey came and went and it sucked... so not a big movie release year... seriously who actually liked Eternals b4 they announced they were making a movie?

One guy was doing a thesis paper or something on the Kirby Eternals arc in the Bronze thread - before the movie announcement.  I read it with fascination over such a crappy title.  

I grew up on 1980s comics so I saw the 70s DC and Marvel as such .  Kirby's Eternals being one of the many problem titles or the time.  It's jaded me against his better 60s stuff ever since.

1 hour ago, ft88 said:

One guy was doing a thesis paper or something on the Kirby Eternals arc in the Bronze thread - before the movie announcement.  I read it with fascination over such a crappy title.  

I grew up on 1980s comics so I saw the 70s DC and Marvel as such .  Kirby's Eternals being one of the many problem titles or the time.  It's jaded me against his better 60s stuff ever since.

2.5-3 years ago I passed on a stack of maybe 20-30 original owner Eternals 1 high grade copies for $6 each........ somehow in that moment I knew I should have attempted to buy the whole lot but it was hard to for such a meaningless book at the time

11 hours ago, littledoom said:

2008-2019... pretty much every major character has already made it way to the movies or tv shows and they've been recycled/rehashed too many times to be hot or spec'ed on... that and a bad economy/global pandemic doesn't really give anyone any hype or reason to buy/invest in books... even b4 this started.. Black Widow and WW84 were the main movies for the year... yeah Birds of Prey came and went and it sucked... so not a big movie release year... seriously who actually liked Eternals b4 they announced they were making a movie?

...but the movies keep coming, like "reality" tv. Quality sure doesn't matter. The superhero films keep dropping out of the studios' anus and into the open mouth of the consumer who then complains it's not good while keeping their mouth open for more. I dunno, man.

It. Just. Never. Stops.

Prices may be dropping because a lot of us don't have work or money.

Edited by NoMan

16 hours ago, ft88 said:

Ed, "problem title" is the best, most precise description I have ever heard for the Eternals! That was EXACTLY it reading it for the first time off the stands in 77 or 78. Suddenly, there's a new ancient, immortal race in the marvel universe, and not Thor, Dr Strange, Black Bolt, the Surfer, Reed Richards, Prof X, Dr Doom, no one has ever encountered them. And then in issue 2 you get a dozen giants who make Galactus look like a twerp. It was a LOT to shoehorn in at once, all because Kirby either didn't think of Celestials or couldn't get them past (more likely) DC editors in the early 70s. 

I love the King and consider him the single most important creator in comics, but that series was full of ideas he loved but just a few years too late. It was very "Chariots of the Gods" almost a decade after that book's cultural moment.

52 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

And then in issue 2 you get a dozen giants who make Galactus look like a twerp.

And it just kept going and going like that. Every new team had a strongman who was more powerful than Thor, the Thing or Subby, and then you got more and more cosmic beings like the Beyonder, Kubik, the Fulcrum, then a juiced-up Franklin Richards, the Sentry and who knows who else since I stopped following closely. Galactus became barely a B-grade baddie by that time, and that was a bitter pill to swallow.

p.s. As if two-thousand foot tall space gods weren't enough, don't forget that Exitar the Exterminator was himself ten celestials high!!  :roflmao:

It's interesting that I posted this topic before the Covid situation really hit.  Prices seemed to be drifting a bit lower prior, mostly on a lot of SA keys.  The BIN prices for keys on ebay still since like fantasy numbers far above gpa.  With the auction houses, clink, HA and cc are all rolling on like normal.  Probably some good opportunities to buy there, or just ride it out.   

On 4/14/2020 at 2:26 PM, atomised said:

It's interesting that I posted this topic before the Covid situation really hit.  Prices seemed to be drifting a bit lower prior, mostly on a lot of SA keys.  The BIN prices for keys on ebay still since like fantasy numbers far above gpa.  With the auction houses, clink, HA and cc are all rolling on like normal.  Probably some good opportunities to buy there, or just ride it out.   

Ebay BIN prices just keep getting worse and worse.  Primarily fueled by flippers who didn't get a deal in the first place and therefore have to jack up the price to account for fees and additional room for profit. 

I got back into collecting about 9 years ago after a 18 year hiatus from collecting and although eBay has always had outlandish Bins there did seem to be a lot more great deals mixed in.  I can't imagine how much better it would have been if I had gotten back into collecting like 15 to 20 years ago. 😫

Anyways, back to the topic. I agree with others that Dec and start of the year are downtimes for sellers and the lull in Marvel movies has driven away a lot of fringe buyers. I'm currently in the hunt for some big keys and although prices do seem to have dipped with COVID I'm still personally having no luck 🤔.  

On 4/13/2020 at 7:26 PM, Readcomix said:

Ed, "problem title" is the best, most precise description I have ever heard for the Eternals! That was EXACTLY it reading it for the first time off the stands in 77 or 78. Suddenly, there's a new ancient, immortal race in the marvel universe, and not Thor, Dr Strange, Black Bolt, the Surfer, Reed Richards, Prof X, Dr Doom, no one has ever encountered them. And then in issue 2 you get a dozen giants who make Galactus look like a twerp. It was a LOT to shoehorn in at once, all because Kirby either didn't think of Celestials or couldn't get them past (more likely) DC editors in the early 70s. 

I love the King and consider him the single most important creator in comics, but that series was full of ideas he loved but just a few years too late. It was very "Chariots of the Gods" almost a decade after that book's cultural moment.

It's been a while since I've read them, but I don't think there was any indication Kirby intended them to be part of the Marvel Universe at all.  If I recall correctly, he even went out of the way to use a Hulk robot rather than the actual Hulk.

Later creators shoehorned them into the Marvel Universe, but it took years of fiddling to make it really work.

54 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

It's been a while since I've read them, but I don't think there was any indication Kirby intended them to be part of the Marvel Universe at all.  If I recall correctly, he even went out of the way to use a Hulk robot rather than the actual Hulk.

Later creators shoehorned them into the Marvel Universe, but it took years of fiddling to make it really work.

The Hulk in the run was definitely a robot. I don't know that there were any crossovers during or within the 19-issue run (it's been a while for me too) but Thor 300 wasn't too much later and they were integral by then. 

Sorry to take the thread off track-- my sense on the original topic is that the health and financial crises (they have separate roots, but the pandemic has exacerbated the financial rot, and the Saudi-Russia oil price war contributed too) have created extreme opinions among collectors as to what will happen to the comics market as a result of financial turmoil. I think there's some fear selling, there's some sitting on the sidelines, and there's opportunistic buying -- and some of those buyers are also sellers looking to free up funds for that buying. I think the various behaviors in the market reflect diverse and strong opinions about how this thing plays out in an economic sense.