• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any theories on why prices seem to be dropping with a lot of books?
5 5

194 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, thehumantorch said:
On 1/31/2020 at 4:32 PM, lou_fine said:

Any tips on how to easily copy quotes from multiple pages?  ???

It was relatively easy to do on the old boards here before their big changeover, but haven't been able to figure it out on the new boards here yet.  :facepalm:

hm thought it would be easy to figure out but I'm having problems.  I can select it and quote and then right click to select all but when I paste it in it doesn't format the same.  I'd ask RMA as he seems to be an expert on multi quotes

That's a good idea.  (thumbsu

So, let's see if @RockMyAmadeus can provide us with an answer here or not?  

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I cannot make a properly formatted quote from other pages, no. Apparently, some people can, and others cannot. If it's not on the same page, I cannot copy-quote it, like I quoted your post here. I can quote any posts...but only if I'm on the same page that they are on.

On the old board, you used to be able to quote from anywhere else on the board. Here, the quote function only works (for me) when it's on the same page. Otherwise, I have to copy what I want, and use the generic "quote" function in the toolbar, which doesn't identify any details about the original quote, like this:

And yet, other users, like @BlowUpTheMoon seem to be able to do just that: make a properly formatted quote from any thread simply by copying it and pasting into the reply window. 

The workaround (which, admittedly, isn't very good) is to use the "Share this post" feature.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I can quote any posts...but only if I'm on the same page that they are on.

You mean the same thread they are on or just the same page? Maybe the mods killed the ability to quote someone from another thread to avoid derailing?

3 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:
1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I can quote any posts...but only if I'm on the same page that they are on.

You mean the same thread they are on or just the same page? Maybe the mods killed the ability to quote someone from another thread to avoid derailing?

Same page. And the thought certainly crossed my mind, though it's a little out there (tin foil) to be doing for individual members...

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

On the old board, you used to be able to quote from anywhere else on the board. Here, the quote function only works (for me) when it's on the same page. Otherwise, I have to copy what I want, and use the generic "quote" function in the toolbar, which doesn't identify any details about the original quote, like this:

Well, greatly appreciate your response and giving it the old college try. (thumbsu

Yes, with the old boards, I used to be able to copy and nest quotes from other pages, and then go in to insert the board member's name so that it would identify who the quote came from.  With the new boards, no such luck.  :frown:

Maybe it's something that we should ask the Mods about and see if they have an answer for this quandary we seem to be in?  hm

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, greatly appreciate your response and giving it the old college try. (thumbsu

Yes, with the old boards, I used to be able to copy and nest quotes from other pages, and then go in to insert the board member's name so that it would identify who the quote came from.  With the new boards, no such luck.  :frown:

Maybe it's something that we should ask the Mods about and see if they have an answer for this quandary we seem to be in?  hm

Hello Lou :)

There is a way of doing this, quoting from other threads / pages,  if I'm understanding you all correctly. 

If you look at the screenshot below you'll see that when you click on the little boxed plus sign to the left of the 'quote' command it will turn into a green tick and then bring up a little box bottom right to show that the post selected has been saved for quoting elsewhere  ('quote 1 post'):

Screenshot_2020-02-02-10-01-12.thumb.png.9b89366b8e39ae667bb899207573802d.png

If you then come out and go to the thread you want to quote it in, select quote as normal and then click on the little 'quote 1 post' box which will have reappeared at the bottom right of the screen. That will then quote the saved post from the other thread / page.

You can add your comment as normal from that point (or before it if you want to write something first).

If you want to test it out, remember that the test area is set so that only you can see it. So you can muck about in private. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/11-testing-1-2-3/

There are scenarios where functionality differs by user. Nothing sinister I think, just a combination of glitches and / or arrangements made with admin, e.g. for those running competitions or virtual cons etc.

Give it a try and let me know if it works. You can use the tick box to quote as many threads as you like. Good luck

@lou_fine

Lou, I just ticked four posts of mine in four different threads and my screen shows this:

565424660_2020-02-0210_48_24.thumb.png.618b803d4c7e23f57e942a2cb33dddd2.png

Here...

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

A comic or three may indeed have had the scissor treatment, but it's of its time Kevin. That's what we were supposed to do back then. And it's not like each comic doesn't have thousands of other examples in existence. I just watched a video of Alan Class explaining how he ripped the cover from a Fantastic Four #1 to give to the printers as a colour guide for one of his old sixties reprints. This is what we did back in the day. I think the full up stamp book is fantastic. Thanks for showing it :cloud9:

....are....

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Cor, I really enjoyed that Bob, thank you for posting it. What a nice chap Alan is and some very interesting background there on how things used to be. The sort of bloke you could talk to all day I'll bet. Funnily enough I was in 30th Century talking to Will this last Monday. Best 'proper' comic shop in the world really. The last man standing.

Anyway, you know what's coming next Bob don't you...

....the four...

14 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Best girlfriend I ever had :cloud9:

....posts.

On 2/1/2020 at 9:47 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

It was. Gone are the days, alas, where you could pick these non-super hero books up relatively quietly and cheaply...

:)

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

It's definitely a story with a happy ending when everybody concerned does well.  :applause:

Based upon previous readings of your story, I initially thought the whole thing had gone to your son as a down payment for his home.  It's good that you was also able to take personal advantage of the AF 15 windfall to make some additional money for yourself plus pay Uncle Sam at the same time.  (thumbsu

I assume your son's portion must have only been for a portion of the down payment or is some of your good fortune also ruubbing off on him and he was able to luck himself into a good deal for his home.  Not sure what part of the country you live in, but I was at this big Lunar New Year Festival event last week where they were trying to hawk some pre-build condos and you could spin the wheel to win prizes like a Bentley SUV, Porsche SUV, $280K gift card rebate, etc. if you signed on the dotted line.  :screwy:

I was thinking even though the place was jam packed and there were quite a few $280K "winners", that still wouldn't even cover the down payment for the condo.  It's still good to see the real estate market falling though, otherwise, they wouldn't have had such a big party with all the free food and door prizes for the attendees.  If this was 3 years ago, the entire complex would have been sold out without the developers giving you any discount at all, and with anxious buyers still left standing in line to get in the door at the end. :mad:  :censored:

Well, it was a bit more than double that to the boy but he had money put away as well.  His car on the other hand is about 13 years old and in need of replacement. Then he got married and we covered most of that event. Buying a house has really changed and he's in a hot market outside Boston. The list price is not what it sells for. That's the base for a bidding war.  Step across the state line into New Hampshire and the prices fall dramatically. 

It's really hard for some people to see that if you have money, it's far easier to make money. Otherwise, you can simply be shut out and pressing your nose against the glass looking in. My sweetie and I both grew up in families that shared what they could.  The downside? My mom threw out all my .10 cent stuff. 

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Although this is probably true for the time frame after Bob sold your copy for you, it definitely was not true for the months prior to Bob's sale of your CGC 5.0 graded copy of AF15.  :gossip:

After all, how can any of us forget about CC's record setting price of $57K for this CGC 5.0 graded copy of AF15 back in March of 2017:

ama12.630a.jpg

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/700363?tzf=1

I strongly believe this particular sale here along with the CGC 9.0 graded Hope copy for $395K along with CGC 4.5 graded copy for just a shade over $37K all in the exact same auction paved the way for the acceleration in the red hot AF 15 market for the rest of the year going forward.  hm  

Similar to how the sale of the CGC 3.0 graded copy of 'Tec 38 for just over $54K (or possibly double the then market rate on a PPP basis) in the same March 2017 CC auction apparently facilitated the almost instantaneous sale of Bob Storm's CGC 3.0 graded copy of the same book for $36K mere minutes after the CC auction had closed on the 'Tec 38.  Especially since another boardie informed me that the book had been on Bob's website for several months at a substantally higher price before it was lowered to the $36K price point where it had continued to sit until CC's auction result. (shrug)

It's definitely a small world when it comes to the comic book market and the speed of information is very fast in today's marketplace with the technology that we have on hand.  (thumbsu

well, I can' t argue with those facts. That's an exceptional looking 5.0  I continue to enjoy listening to Bob's explanations of the comings and goings of the tuna fleet off line. He's quite a wheeler dealer. 

5 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

Buying a house has really changed and he's in a hot market outside Boston. The list price is not what it sells for. That's the base for a bidding war. 

Sadly, we lived through that exact same experience here for quite awhile a few years ago when one of my kids was trying to buy a place for herself.  I believe she made something like over 10 offers on places (all at above asking price) before she was able to land a house of their own.  Turned out to be an absolutely beautiful place for them to raise a family, even though it is half hour drive away from my place.  (thumbsu

It's good to actually see prices seemingly geeting back to normal with them coming in slightly below asking prices now with all of the new government regulations in place.  But then again, you new know as a house 3 doors down from my place was listed last week and there is already a SOLD sign on it after just one showing last weekend.  (shrug)

Reminds me a bit about the time back in the mid-90's during the big GA comic book rush when dealers were offering collectors multiples of guide for their HG books, with some of them even sight unseen if a pedigree.  It was certainly different from when I originally started collecting vintage comic books when they would be offering you discounts to guide and then selling them to you for a slight premium to guide.  hm

21 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Same page. And the thought certainly crossed my mind, though it's a little out there (tin foil) to be doing for individual members...

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I wonder whatever happened to that Bjorn Heyn guy...he was a pretty good inker.....

:whistle:

12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Forgettable? It was horrible, unreadable garbage. It's purely an art title, and it doesn't even hold up to the classic art from #307-314 or so.

So that’s weird. I just posted quotes from you from 2 other threads to here. I can quote posts from other threads or other pages on the same thread with no issues usually. I’m using Safari though. Must have to do with how CGC boards are set up with different browsers. I do find slight “issues” that crop up from time to time with using Safari on a phone vs another device like an iPad. Usually just requires a different approach to get the same results.

On 1/30/2020 at 3:02 PM, VintageComics said:

A similar thing happened just over 10 years ago.

The market had been on fire for a decade.

The world economy had crashed and hadn't recovered.

Several new pedigrees were discovered within a year of each other.

Pressing for the masses was starting and people were afraid of what it would do to the market and slowed down spending.

Winter season was upon us.

A few major players pulled OUT of the hobby at the same time.

Perfect storm of depressed prices.

It's just a cycle and has been happening since the beginning of time...and the mid 1930's for comics.

As for the threads original topic I generally agree with the cycle position which everything from collectibles to stocks to real estate goes through. Various factors apply each time to cycles so there’s no exact same reason each time things go up or down although there are regular general factors that contribute to these cycles.

Edited by N e r V

On 1/31/2020 at 3:41 PM, Glassman10 said:

The thread has officially mutated. 

Maybe so but as others said your story was fun to listen to. Unexpected finds aren’t the norm but not unheard either so finding “buried treasures” makes for great stories. Probably why I was always a fan of Antiques Roadshow on PBS.

Hulk 181 showing some good strength in 2020 - a good sign.  In tonight's HA Sun auction the 9.8 went for $37,200 and the 9.0 for $5,750.  If I was the consignor I wouldn't want that book sold while a lot of people are watching the super bowl but that's a good price realized.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/122005-11292.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

31 minutes ago, atomised said:

Hulk 181 showing some good strength in 2020 - a good sign.  In tonight's HA Sun auction the 9.8 went for $37,200 and the 9.0 for $5,750.  If I was the consignor I wouldn't want that book sold while a lot of people are watching the super bowl but that's a good price realized.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/122005-11292.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Yeah very strong showing for Hulk 181, I guess not all books are crashing. The GPA 90 day avg. for this book is around $31K.... sold at $37K is amazing in this current downturn climate. 

On 2/2/2020 at 7:46 AM, Glassman10 said:

Buying a house has really changed and he's in a hot market outside Boston. The list price is not what it sells for. That's the base for a bidding war.  Step across the state line into New Hampshire and the prices fall dramatically. 

What town?