• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi i just purchased a comic book cgc graded

13 posts in this topic

Hi i just purchased a comic book cgc graded, and i irdered the graders notes, on the notes i couldnt find any mention of a red color smudge on the top back of the cover.

I attached pictures of the notes and of the back cover, can anyone explain this please?Screenshot_20200124-082656_eBay.thumb.jpg.22c9d6224e0fcfebf86fa683a23f088d.jpg

Screenshot_20200124-082849_Drive.jpg

22 minutes ago, faster friends said:

It’s distributor ink. Nothing to worry about.

Distributor Stripes - Color brushed or sprayed on the edges of comic book stacks by the distributor/wholesaler to code them for expedient exchange at the sales racks. Typical colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Distributor Stripes are not a defect.

2 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

Should note that especially with 80's and 90's books you're hard-pressed to find a book WITHOUT distributor ink.

Are you sure about that? I thought they started printing them on the pages at this time, instead of actually spray painting them like this book

On 1/24/2020 at 5:45 PM, Empower said:

Are you sure about that? I thought they started printing them on the pages at this time, instead of actually spray painting them like this book

Yeah that statement is totally inaccurate.  Most distributor spraying happened in the late 60's and 70's.  I rarely see it on 80's and 90's books. 

On 1/28/2020 at 5:59 PM, The Lions Den said:

With the date for this book, it would make perfect sense for this to be distro ink. And CGC probably didn't mention it because they had to note the flaws that actually affected the grade...

this..

45 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

this..

I just got a book back that mentions distributor ink. I believe the book was dinged for it as the grade was .4 lower than expected. The amount of ink on he top edge is less than the OP's book.

Wonder if they are starting to ding for this now, or a newbie got a little aggressive. 

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

I just got a book back that mentions distributor ink. I believe the book was dinged for it as the grade was .4 lower than expected. The amount of ink on he top edge is less than the OP's book.

Wonder if they are starting to ding for this now, or a newbie got a little aggressive. 

really wow.. can you post  pic and what as the grade? was it maybe because it was a 9.8 and they didn't want to give that much distro ink a 9.8? just theorizing.. 

4 hours ago, joeypost said:

They do have some newer folks in the grading room... hm

From what I've seen, a book with a small amount of distro ink can still attain a 9.6...