• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corner bend

11 posts in this topic

Hi folks.  I don't have a pic as its a very subtle thing and hard to capture so I don't know if anyone can help.

Is there a general rule for a mild corner bend through the cover and 2/3 inner pages..?  Absolutely definitely no colour break on cover.  Would you expect that to knock a whole grade off..?

Again sorry no pic but its invisible head on - if you angle the book you can see it but I can't get decent pic.

7 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Hi folks.  I don't have a pic as its a very subtle thing and hard to capture so I don't know if anyone can help.

Is there a general rule for a mild corner bend through the cover and 2/3 inner pages..?  Absolutely definitely no colour break on cover.  Would you expect that to knock a whole grade off..?

Again sorry no pic but its invisible head on - if you angle the book you can see it but I can't get decent pic.

Basically impossible to advise without an image to reference. Sorry.

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

23 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Thanks - tough to get a pic of it.  From a scan it wouldn't show at all which is a bit worrying as you could get scans on a book and it could have bends/factory dings and you'd never know till it arrived - and the book might have cost £10 000.

1 minute ago, mike devon said:

Thanks - tough to get a pic of it.  From a scan it wouldn't show at all which is a bit worrying as you could get scans on a book and it could have bends/factory dings and you'd never know till it arrived - and the book might have cost £10 000.

Let's pretend that the comic is otherwise a 9.8 grade.

It seems like something, because it not only impacts the cover - but multiple pages, may might bring it into 9.4 range.
If we're pretending it's anything below 9.2, then it may bring it a 0.5 grade lower.
If it's this visually obscure, but there upon inspection, that's usually the criteria for me.

Again, this is all uncertain without photographic evidence. Just trying to help the best that I can.

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Let's pretend that the comic is otherwise a 9.8 grade.

It seems like something, because it not only impacts the cover - but multiple pages, may might bring it into 9.4 range.
If we're pretending it's anything below 9.2, then it may bring it a 0.5 grade lower.
If it's this visually obscure, but there upon inspection, that's usually the criteria for me.

Again, this is all uncertain without photographic evidence. Just trying to help the best that I can.

Thanks thats really helpful - in other words in theory its not a big big drop like a rip or some bodge retouching.

It begs the question to me about any kind of dings/non-breaking creases:  how the heck do you know if its factory stuff or not and what do you do if you buy from scans but when you inspect it its got dings - couldn't the seller claim you did it..?

13 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Thanks thats really helpful - in other words in theory its not a big big drop like a rip or some bodge retouching.

It begs the question to me about any kind of dings/non-breaking creases:  how the heck do you know if its factory stuff or not and what do you do if you buy from scans but when you inspect it its got dings - couldn't the seller claim you did it..?

Non-color-breaking creases/bends are definitely not as bad. You can have this pressed out.

You can't discern when/where the flaw happened. It could have arrived from Diamond with a bend like this, but that doesn't make it a "manufacturing error" as it wasn't printed like that. If you can't see a flaw in images, of course a seller could say that it wasn't in that condition pre-shipping, but then as the customer, you could say "item not delivered as-described". A seller should always ship comics in a method that maintains the condition as-owned. That doesn't always happen, though.

14 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Non-color-breaking creases/bends are definitely not as bad. You can have this pressed out.

You can't discern when/where the flaw happened. It could have arrived from Diamond with a bend like this, but that doesn't make it a "manufacturing error" as it wasn't printed like that. If you can't see a flaw in images, of course a seller could say that it wasn't in that condition pre-shipping, but then as the customer, you could say "item not delivered as-described". A seller should always ship comics in a method that maintains the condition as-owned. That doesn't always happen, though.

Is this perceived to be a minefield..?  what if you buy a nice looking collection from an amateur who honestly describes them but then find on close look they have these kinds of issues..?  A 'normal' person would think you were a bit batty..?

I understand only buy graded but if everyone only ever bought graded then this whole enterprise would dry up wouldn't it.?

Just now, mike devon said:

Is this perceived to be a minefield..?  what if you buy a nice looking collection from an amateur who honestly describes them but then find on close look they have these kinds of issues..?  A 'normal' person would think you were a bit batty..?

I understand only buy graded but if everyone only ever bought graded then this whole enterprise would dry up wouldn't it.?

Do not "only buy graded". Please, just don't.

Small flaws shouldn't dissuade anyone from buying anything. Or large flaws, for that matter. Are you only looking to re-sell? If so, then you need to learn grading, and how to get deals etc. If you're looking for personal collection, then do small flaws like these really bother you?

If you're buying from an "amateur", then yes, it's almost certain that you will find small flaws that were not disclosed. Even more-so if you're buying "collections" and not single books or small lots. It's just the nature of the beast.

If you buy collections, and want to submit them for grading and make sure you get the best results, then pressing prior to grading is always your best bet on comics with press-able flaws like this.

11 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Do not "only buy graded". Please, just don't.

Small flaws shouldn't dissuade anyone from buying anything. Or large flaws, for that matter. Are you only looking to re-sell? If so, then you need to learn grading, and how to get deals etc. If you're looking for personal collection, then do small flaws like these really bother you?

If you're buying from an "amateur", then yes, it's almost certain that you will find small flaws that were not disclosed. Even more-so if you're buying "collections" and not single books or small lots. It's just the nature of the beast.

If you buy collections, and want to submit them for grading and make sure you get the best results, then pressing prior to grading is always your best bet on comics with press-able flaws like this.

Thanks again.  Probably looking to re sell yes to flip to get higher grade books.  But even if you buy from a dealer they may honestly not spot these kinds of issues.  I restore toy boxes so I can spot the tiniest issue.

I guess at my level averaging a few hundred pounds/dollars per book its not such a huge issue but its still an issue.

Does EVERY dealer know about holding books up to the light at a 'rake' angle in order to see surface issues..?  I do it next to a window so everything is highlighted.

Edited by mike devon

5 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Thanks again.  Probably looking to re sell yes to flip to get higher grade books.  But even if you buy from a dealer they may honestly not spot these kinds of issues.  I restore toy boxes so I can spot the tiniest issue.

I guess at my level averaging a few hundred pounds/dollars per book its not such a huge issue but its still an issue.

You're putting a massive task in front of yourself if you're trying to enter the dealer/"flipper" game right now.

There are so many decorated, 'all-knowing' guys out there in the business already, who basically consume and churn all of that business.

I wish you good luck, but must advise that it's a bad idea if you don't know all of the ins-and-outs prior to putting your foot in the ring.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're putting a massive task in front of yourself if you're trying to enter the dealer/"flipper" game right now.

There are so many decorated, 'all-knowing' guys out there in the business already, who basically consume and churn all of that business.

I wish you good luck, but must advise that it's a bad idea if you don't know all of the ins-and-outs prior to putting your foot in the ring.

Thanks Capra - I think I'm thinking I can make a bit buying at local auctions.  I nabbed that Spidey 6 at auction and its likely a 7.5 (hasn't arrived yet).  I didn't buy it to flip but if I can make a bit I might sell it to fund something else.  As you do :)