• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First time grading - Canada
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Have boxes of copper age comics - lot of Spiderman and Wolverine, X-MEN, Captain America. Spiderman 300, Wolverine 1-4, then his own title, McFarlane's early Spiderman, etc. Early 80s stuff is rough - I read them more than once. Later 80s and early 90s stuff much more careful. All have been boarded and bagged since 1990. Live in Ottawa, Canada. Any idea if it's worth it to send the important ones for grading?  Will I need to spend a mess-ton of money?  Options?  Advice?

Hi and welcome!

Couple questions...

1. Are these to keep or to sell? If to sell, ASM 300 and maybe the Wolverine mini series (assuming it is the Frank Miller one) are the only things listed there worth value IF in higher grade. If to keep, you can grade whatever you want!

2. Cost can be expensive mainly due to shipping. Again, if selling, you could up the value of a book by $100-150 maybe more but you would likely put in $50-75 per book to get there. You have to decide whether it is worth the time. If you are unfamiliar with CGC, here is a link to authorized dealers in Canada who you could contact about sending your books and they can worry about sending to CGC  if you do not wish to sign up and do it all yourself.

https://www.cgccomics.com/services/dealerlisting.aspx?state=canada

If it all seems too much, shoot me a message, I might buy some stuff raw (ungraded) off of you. Hope this helps!

On 1/24/2020 at 1:12 PM, gercat14 said:

Have boxes of copper age comics - lot of Spiderman and Wolverine, X-MEN, Captain America. Spiderman 300, Wolverine 1-4, then his own title, McFarlane's early Spiderman, etc. Early 80s stuff is rough - I read them more than once. Later 80s and early 90s stuff much more careful. All have been boarded and bagged since 1990. Live in Ottawa, Canada. Any idea if it's worth it to send the important ones for grading?  Will I need to spend a mess-ton of money?  Options?  Advice?

try gocollect.com where's there's a free price guide for slabbed comics based on grade level.  Not every comic may show associated grades (depending on #sales for that particular grade).It's always fun to look! 

mycomicshop.com doesn't have a price guide but they sell a lot of slabbed comics so that is another free resource. Of course there's Ebay sold listings

You need to factor in shipping costs, to CGC & back (if you don't go thru a LCS), plus grading fees, plus any fees  charged by a service if you intened to put them up for sale (Ebay or other auction houses),Paypal etc and compare that that against a poss selling price for the grade you'd expect.    There's a "Buddy Can you spare a grade" forum where you can get opinions on the condition of the comic. A lot of times it's prob not worth the expense to get it graded once you factor in all of that 

There's also a selling forum here which has the advantage of no fees like Ebay has - though it may help to buildup an "online reputation" here fiirst

good luck!

it really depends on what your planning to do. 

If your selling I would recommend creating a list and you kind of seem to know what some key books are and go through your collection make a excel if needed and look at the valuable books and check prices sold on eBay or GoCollect and see if its worth it to Slab.. but it will depend on your grading skills and costs associated with it. 

you could potentially sell raw to local people.. 

But I would recommend generally finding out what books you have and value they have most 90's stuff isn't worth big bucks but if you have some 80's keys you could have some decent money there, but this is if you want to spend the time research and cataloging and selling or if you want a quick buck you can sell in bulk but wouldn't get as much for the return.

Being in Canada, you will be spending a mess ton of money and probably not gain anything from it. The shipping to and from the states is brutal for canadians and you have to incur those shipping fees twice. So you'd be spending a minimum of 50$CAD per book you send in. The only stuff worth grading from that era has to be in really great shape, like looking near flawless to you. Because or else, anything with noticeable flaws (like ticks along the spine and beat up corners or folds) can be sold for similar prices on ebay or kijiji without being slabbed.

What I recomend you do is buy 2 books:

Overstreet Price guide

Overstreet grading guide

The first will show you what is worthwhile while the second will help you know just how good or bad the condition is. And then you can decide otherwise.