• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's hear about a lost and forgotten part of your childhood...
1 1

34 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

I hadn't thought about ANY of this until a few weeks ago when a random and capricious search for '50s Batman comics on eBay returned an image of the cover for Bats #109, and then it all came flooding back.

The book...the flea market...my mom...the era...the fun...the discovery...the innocence...and everything else -- all long gone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the comic itself means nothing; but what it represents means everything.

(worship) 

4 hours ago, jools&jim said:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the comic itself means nothing; but what it represents means everything.

What a great post to start the day :)

3 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

My Saturday mornings religiously revolved around: waking up at 7 am, lugging this down the stairs to the basement.  Flipping on Bugs Bunny, and setting this up.  Eating breakfast (after my mom begrudgingly got out of bed so early to make), and after breakfast a battle broke loose.  If I ever find one, unopened, I am paying dirty money. 

marx.jpg

marx1.jpg

I had this too! It was so awesome! My mom sold it in a yard sale when I was older and didn’t care at the time :/

1 hour ago, kav said:

I built this sub, looked at it for a while, then proceeded to blow it to smithereens with firecrackers.  First ordinance went into the missile tubes.

Image result for 1970s submarine model

Is this an American Polaris submarine?

They were the ones comic readers (including myself) were eager to own, back in the 70s.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Is this an American Polaris submarine?

They were the ones comic readers were eager to own, back in the 70s.

No its just a revell model-the polaris sub of fame is a cardboard box, basically.

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

Prefer the model.

there's only one known polaris sub still in existence-it's value is undetermined but it could net say 5K easily.

5 hours ago, bentbryan said:
8 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

My Saturday mornings religiously revolved around: waking up at 7 am, lugging this down the stairs to the basement.  Flipping on Bugs Bunny, and setting this up.  Eating breakfast (after my mom begrudgingly got out of bed so early to make), and after breakfast a battle broke loose.  If I ever find one, unopened, I am paying dirty money. 

marx.jpg

marx1.jpg

I had this too! It was so awesome! My mom sold it in a yard sale when I was older and didn’t care at the time :/

Oh yeah, Navarone playset. Awesome toy. I think I still have the two cannon somewhere but the set is looooong gone.

5 hours ago, bentbryan said:

49 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Oh yeah, Navarone playset. Awesome toy. I think I still have the two cannon somewhere but the set is looooong gone.

About 10+ years ago, I saw one on Ebay.   It was here in State (other coast, but I was even going to offer to pick it up if I won), and looked to be un-played with, all of the soldiers, gear, cannons were still in their un-opened bags.   It even had the little comic book story that came with it.  The play-mat appeared to never have been unfolded.  Anyway, I lurked on it at about $150, then I started to bid with about 5 minutes left, I got outbid, then things went fast and furious as I kept upping my bid to $600.    As the time expired, the final sale price was about $650.   So close. 

Edited by Mercury Man

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

About 10+ years ago, I saw one on Ebay.   It was here in State (other coast, but I was even going to offer to pick it up if I won), and looked to be un-played with, all of the soldiers, gear, cannons were still in their un-opened bags.   It even had the little comic book story that came with it.  The play-mat appeared to never have been unfolded.  Anyway, I lurked on it at about $150, then I started to bid with about 5 minutes left, I got outbid, then things went fast and furious as I kept upping my bid to $600.    As the time expired, the final sale price was about $650.   So close. 

Now try and guess when the next time will be when one in this condition will be seen again on ebay (or anywhere else for that matter).  If the one you saw was complete, with this many pieces, box, and literature, some unopened, still in the pouches? That was lightning and about as unlikely as lightning to strike again in the same place, unless the same set is resold.

5 hours ago, kav said:

I built this sub, looked at it for a while, then proceeded to blow it to smithereens with firecrackers.  First ordinance went into the missile tubes.

Image result for 1970s submarine model

I did the same thing with most of my Rat Fink and car models...:sorry:

I remember my dad coming home and driving over plastic pieces in the driveway. He was none to happy...

13 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Now try and guess when the next time will be when one in this condition will be seen again on ebay (or anywhere else for that matter).  If the one you saw was complete, with this many pieces, box, and literature, some unopened, still in the pouches? That was lightning and about as unlikely as lightning to strike again in the same place, unless the same set is resold.

One on ebay right now. 4+ days to go and at $155. I’m interested to see what it ends up as. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F184142472896