• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Article on increase of fake prints

5 posts in this topic

“In a statement, eBay said it swiftly reviews and removes items it suspects may be fakes when it receives a complaint. “Counterfeits and unauthorized copies are illegal and not welcome on any of eBay’s sites,” it said.“..........yeah.......right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/arts/design/fake-art-prints.html

1 minute ago, suspense39 said:

“In a statement, eBay said it swiftly reviews and removes items it suspects may be fakes when it receives a complaint. “Counterfeits and unauthorized copies are illegal and not welcome on any of eBay’s sites,” it said.“..........yeah.......right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/arts/design/fake-art-prints.html

They talk tough but simply refuse to act. They are too big with Rubbish oversight. Fraudulent activity seems to surprise them. Time after time we’ve had to point out fraud and hijinks to eBay
If they move at all it’s at a snails pace.

Fakes are not always so easy to spot. There are hundreds of collectors with years experience collecting who have been taken by fakes.

What's the solution? Have eBay employ an expert in every field of collectible to research and validate claims?

Heritage actually DOES have people like this in-house and it seems even they get a couple things wrong in every signature auction. (They're often able to correct them because the auction listings are up for several months, whereas eBay auctions are generally 7 days.)

If you're eBay, do you just remove a listing every time a person complains? I think that's a bad idea as well. 

On 1/25/2020 at 1:50 PM, J.Sid said:

Fakes are not always so easy to spot. There are hundreds of collectors with years experience collecting who have been taken by fakes.

What's the solution? Have eBay employ an expert in every field of collectible to research and validate claims?

Heritage actually DOES have people like this in-house and it seems even they get a couple things wrong in every signature auction. (They're often able to correct them because the auction listings are up for several months, whereas eBay auctions are generally 7 days.)

If you're eBay, do you just remove a listing every time a person complains? I think that's a bad idea as well. 

Well J Sid you’re right. It sounds simple. Someone claims an auction contains a fraudulent item. TAKE IT DOWN !!!

Not so fast.

Imagine your worst enemy interfering with your auction, making a false claim just to ruin your auction.

Imagine eBay shutting down an auction and it turns out the information is wrong.

With all of that eBay still needs more oversight. They are complicit if counterfeit items or fraudulent activity takes place. 

Perhaps a review process before items are allowed to be listed on eBay. I am thinking of a process where a seller creates their auction item just like they do today, with pics and info. But before it can be listed it is submitted for review. A panel of e-dorks reviews the submission with a deep level fraud/counterfeit detection process. To cover the expense buyer and seller agree to split an additional 4% inspection fee,

Once the item is approved the seller can request the date and time to start auction and eBay will enable the auction.

I know a bunch of “this would never work” posts are coming. Please try to be a part of a suggestive solution. What would make things better?
I think we have to help with innovative suggestions (demands) for eBay and the auction houses to make BS fake art, comics, sports cards go back underground. They are slow to respond so we need to make our voices heard.

R I P # 2 4

🍇🦍