• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some advice before sending 1939/40 comics off to CGC

8 posts in this topic

I recently picked up several delightful books with a few issues at the edges. You'll see photos below of Future Comics 1 # 4 and the Sand Hog cover from Amazing Mystery Funnies.

The books are from 1939 and 1940. Good page quality. I want them slabbed, and possibly pressed, as soon as possible. I also want them treated with TLC in the process.

Thus, my questions for the Golden Age veterans out there:

Should I tackle the folded cover piece on the right edge of Future Comics 1 ... or trust CCS/CGC to do it?  Will they do so automatically in the pressing/slabbing process, or only on my instructions?

The Sand Hog cover is extraordinary ... but, yes, that corner has issues. Does that corner mean pressing is impossible? Or simply problematic? 

Finally, that tiny edge blip on the Future Comics 4.  I get more nervous about it each time I handle the book, especially if I'm dealing with Mylar. How much TLC can I expect from the folks in Florida ... or is it highly likely that edge will chip off, and I need to deal with it.

Appreciate some advice based on your experiences. Thanks.

IMG_8613.jpeg

IMG_8612.jpeg

IMG_8614.jpeg

you would ask for pressing to resolve flattening out the bends.

Not sure which book is the second picture, but it looks like the book has some brittleness and if so I wouldn't bother getting it graded.

31 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

you would ask for pressing to resolve flattening out the bends.

Not sure which book is the second picture, but it looks like the book has some brittleness and if so I wouldn't bother getting it graded.

Second book is the Amazing Mystery Funnies. Page quality is quite good, but for that corner. Thanks for the reply

57 minutes ago, SteveDuin said:

Second book is the Amazing Mystery Funnies. Page quality is quite good, but for that corner. Thanks for the reply

It’s not uncommon for just an edge or corner to become brittle.  I agree, don’t submit, sell raw if you’re selling.  If you’re not selling, not really any point to encapsulation.

1 minute ago, Randall Dowling said:

It’s not uncommon for just an edge or corner to become brittle.  I agree, don’t submit, sell raw if you’re selling.  If you’re not selling, not really any point to encapsulation.

agreed

If sending any books to CGC or CCS, I would pack them extremely well and put a note on each bag with a warning about the specific areas you're concerned about. It never hurts to raise the awareness of the folks in each area of the grading process...

Whatever you decide, good luck!   

3 hours ago, SteveDuin said:

I've seen books with otherwise ow-w pages get a slightly brittle designation due to localized brittleness in a corner, sometimes if there is just a tear through the pages, not even chipping. Conversely I've seen books that appear to have a chipped corner with a cream page quality designation on the label. (shrug)