• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

These are not your kids' comics . . . 1990's Comics that are Selling and in Demand
4 4

108 posts in this topic

They're now over 20 years old and the hobby continues to identify them as Moderns - the ink is freakin' dry already! I'm tired about reading about spec comics. This thread is for an age that hasn't been named yet (and may never be.) Post your thoughts on books that were once common as dirt, but now command their due respect. :sumo: Perhaps, we should call it the Pre-Variant Age. hm

Edited by divad

Hmmm....I always thought and still think, the Spiderman run by Todd McFarlane (issues 1-16) is still undervalued, and everywhere.  Aside from the #1's of all colors, most issues can be had for a buck.   It was his last significant Marvel work before jumping to Image. 

On 1/26/2020 at 9:07 AM, Mercury Man said:

Hmmm....I always thought and still think, the Spiderman run by Todd McFarlane (issues 1-16) is still undervalued, and everywhere.  Aside from the #1's of all colors, most issues can be had for a buck.   It was his last significant Marvel work before jumping to Image. 

its not so much that they are undervalued, its that they are so plentiful, millions of copies in great condition. The were released in a time people were already bag and boarding all their comics.

On 1/26/2020 at 9:07 AM, Mercury Man said:

Complete sets of that run will sell. Not for a ton, but considering that most of the books can be picked up for a buck or less, sets can be easy to assemble and are equally easy to move. Or I should say, there WERE. I haven't run across the books as much in the last year or two. Word is out, I believe.

Image and Dark Horse had some fantastic stuff in the 90s. Hell even today. 

Maxx, Gen13, Aliens, Predator, Terminator, The Thing, Star Wars, Flaming Carrot, The Mask, Bone, Pitt, on and on

On 1/26/2020 at 6:07 AM, Mercury Man said:

They made an average of a million copies an issue. They're the definition of "not rare."

Even his ASM run...which was 1/10th to 1/5th the production...doesn't sell for much if it's not #298-301 and #316.

Not sure why you would say they are "undervalued" if they are everywhere, be most issues being available for a buck (or possibly even less)?  ???

Sounds more like the definition of "overvlaued" to me.  hm

In my head moderns are anything after the market fell out following all the overprinting/holofoil age.  Although at some point I concede that might be its own age.

Copper

Overprinting/holofoil/terrible art  (might be too short to get its own age)

Dark ages (bad sales age? downturn age?)

Modern

I'm sure this will debated ad nauseum until the NEW MODERN AGE, whatever that is.

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure why you would say they are "undervalued" if they are everywhere, be most issues being available for a buck (or possibly even less)?  ???

There's always the sense they're undervalued, because classic artist, fondly remembered time and run - but, no, as you say, they're everywhere...

That's why value is always a function of supply AND demand.  In this case, the supply will keep these books' value down.

5 hours ago, 500Club said:

That's why value is always a function of supply AND demand.  In this case, the supply will keep these books' value down.

+1

Yes, it's always a balancing act between supply AND demand as you have correctly stated.  (thumbsu

That is why although we have a huge and seemingly never-ending supply of Hulk 181's out there, the price continues to move up as the demand for this book during the past couple of years was even higher.  :flipbait:

The comics that may matter are late run vertigo, like the last few issues of the dreaming, and late run marvels, like the last few asm, daredevil and avengers before rebooting. The print runs were at a low and they do attract some interest now.

Edited by shiverbones

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess it's more 'surprise' they don't do better $ sales wise, but if they are print runs that are in the million according to @RockMyAmadeus, then that would help explain.   Still think it's a great 16 issue run,  and a steal at $1 each.

8 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I guess it's more 'surprise' they don't do better $ sales wise, but if they are print runs that are in the million according to @RockMyAmadeus, then that would help explain.   Still think it's a great 16 issue run,  and a steal at $1 each.

Yeah, it's certainly a lot of fun. The buildup to this series was phenomenal. It's a nice way to get McFarlane Spidey art on the cheap.

On 1/28/2020 at 10:46 PM, lou_fine said:

HG copies of #1 (all types) and #13 do quite well in the open market . . . and as cd4ever says: if they are worth more to me in my personal collection than the market will pay . . . then so be it. There they will remain. :grin:

I’ve been pulling some of this stuff out of  50 cent and 3/$1 stuff lately.  

Some Gen 13 Campbell covers.  
Silver Surfer Warlock Resurrection (  1st 2 issues )

X-Factor 

New Mutants

A few Spawns ( I’ve never read a Spawn comic.  Now I have a few to try out )

A few Spideys of the various titles 

Most of it is early 90s.  I don’t expect it to ever really be worth much, but it fun pick up all of this stuff that came out just after I mostly quit collecting for almost nothing.  I bought the two Silver Surfers out of a 3/$1 box and their original cover price was $2.50 26 years ago.  I figured for Starlin Warlock stories at that price I can’t lose.  I read them and they were pretty so-so, but if I find the last two at a similar price I’ll finish the story.

It’s fun to put the runs together out of the cheapo boxes.

Here is a question-

What kind of print runs did these Gen 13 books with Campbell covers have?  The Gen 13 issue 12 seems to be the cover with at least a little demand.  It occasionally sells on EBay for $5-10.  

I’m guessing it’s got a pretty big print run, but if anyone has ballpark figures I’d be interested in some confirmation.

I was completely out of comics at the time these came out.

I have a question for everyone that thinks the McFarlane Spider-Man run is worthwhile:  have you read those books?  They’re complete garbage from a writing point-of-view.  Even big fans of McFarlane at the time, were disgusted when those books came out.  It was just incoherent page after incoherent page of Todd’s artwork and the stories were awful.  The only reason they sold as well as they did was because of the McFarlane craze at the time that was at its peak.  Every collector just bought a copy by reflex.  

Kind of like when John Byrne did Namor.  People bought the book just because it was John Byrne and everything John Byrne was hot at the time.  Except Byrne could actually write comics.  Still, those books aren’t worth much and are fairly average reading.

As RMA pointed out, these McFarlane books aren’t hard to find and most comic stores had long boxes of each issue in their back room for decades.  Probably still do.

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

I have a question for everyone that thinks the McFarlane Spider-Man run is worthwhile:  have you read those books?  They’re complete garbage from a writing point-of-view.  Even big fans of McFarlane at the time, were disgusted when those books came out.  It was just incoherent page after incoherent page of Todd’s artwork and the stories were awful.  The only reason they sold as well as they did was because of the McFarlane craze at the time that was at its peak.  Every collector just bought a copy by reflex.  

Kind of like when John Byrne did Namor.  People bought the book just because it was John Byrne and everything John Byrne was hot at the time.  Except Byrne could actually write comics.  Still, those books aren’t worth much and are fairly average reading.

As RMA pointed out, these McFarlane books aren’t hard to find and most comic stores had long boxes of each issue in their back room for decades.  Probably still do.

I can’t remember much beyond the first five issues.  I remember thinking that it was a 1-2 issue story expanded into five.  I pretty much lost interest in the series after that.

The covers are cool though.  I’ll probably put together the run as much as I can out of 50 cent boxes.  🙂