• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

These are not your kids' comics . . . 1990's Comics that are Selling and in Demand
4 4

108 posts in this topic

Was flipping through the CL auction results looking for a particular book and noticed this book here:

RAD3633B202019_16827.jpg

Astonished that it sold for something like $2,300 since it certainly isn't rare or anything like that with already 20 graded copies and virtually all of them in CGC 9.0 and above.  :whatthe:

Just wondering if this is the going rate for all of the pre-hero Valiant books or is this considered to be one of the "special" pre-hero Valiant books?  ???

12 hours ago, divad said:

Personally, I've never seen the "Sneak Preview" but I am going to keep my peepers open . . . :bigsmile:

Apparently, it's only 8-pages . . . Wow!

Well, from what I can see then, this appears to be much more like a free giveaway promo book to promote their upcoming Nintendo line of comics.  (thumbsu

Not sure if I would agree with CL's description of this book as being "extremely rare" as this sounds much more like their standard hype more than anything else.  :p

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Was flipping through the CL auction results looking for a particular book and noticed this book here:

RAD3633B202019_16827.jpg

Astonished that it sold for something like $2,300 since it certainly isn't rare or anything like that with already 20 graded copies and virtually all of them in CGC 9.0 and above.  :whatthe:

Just wondering if this is the going rate for all of the pre-hero Valiant books or is this considered to be one of the "special" pre-hero Valiant books?  ???

The buyer is putting together a set of the earliest Valiant books in CGC 9.8.  There's only one CGC 9.8, graded back in 2016, so he either had to buy this one or wait for more to be graded.  He said he was willing to go higher.

This 8-page preview book is the "first Valiant comic book" as well as being the first of the Valiant Nintendo (fundraisers) series.  Valiant needed money to build their universe, so they took licensed work for Nintendo and WWF (Wrestling).  There are a few books for Spaghetti-O's, KFC, and Kraft Mac & Cheese as well.  They're not Valiant universe/superhero comics, but they're an interesting part of comics history just prior to the explosion and crash of 1993/1994.

Having overlap with the current spike in video game nostalgia (and high-priced, slabbed, unopened video games) probably won't ever hurt this book.  A bunch of new copies being graded will likely hurt the value of the single highest graded, so it'll be interesting to see who has them, in what grades, and how quickly they show up at CGC.

5 hours ago, david20009 said:

I was the buyer of this book. 

Anyways I am over the moon with my purchase so am fine if others think I am crazy.  This is a book going into my collection and it will not be coming out until my heirs have to deal with all my books. 

Since a raw copy described as having "minor dirt and bends" sold for $80 shipped, it's not too crazy to pay $2,300 for the only CGC 9.8.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Comics-System-Sneak-Preview-Comic-Valiant-Mario-Video-Games/352952928359

I once paid 100 times the regular raw price for the single highest CGC copy of a 1992 Valiant comic.  I've had offers of 50 times my buying price (which would be 5,000 times the raw price at the time). lol

On 2/26/2020 at 11:46 PM, lou_fine said:

RAD3633B202019_16827.jpg

http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53126

13 hours ago, valiantman said:

Since a raw copy described as having "minor dirt and bends" sold for $80 shipped, it's not too crazy to pay $2,300 for the only CGC 9.8.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Comics-System-Sneak-Preview-Comic-Valiant-Mario-Video-Games/352952928359

I once paid 100 times the regular raw price for the single highest CGC copy of a 1992 Valiant comic.  I've had offers of 50 times my buying price (which would be 5,000 times the raw price at the time). lol

Yeah, but there's a movie!

8 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
21 hours ago, valiantman said:

Yeah, but there's a movie!

Not in 2003 there wasn't. At that time the only live action for a Valiant comic, ever, was a show with Captain Lou Albano as Mario. :baiting: :grin:

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

Not in 2003 there wasn't. At that time the only live action for a Valiant comic, ever, was a show with Captain Lou Albano as Mario. :baiting: :grin:

The best Nintendo power hour ever 

On 2/28/2020 at 5:09 AM, david20009 said:

I was the buyer of this book. 

Valiantman is correct I am trying to put together all of the original Valiant in CGC 9.8.  Besides the hero books this includes the early WWF, Nintendo, KFC, Cheesasaurus Rex and Spegehetto books.  There are 52 Valiant Nintendo comics (inlcuding variant covers but excluding TPBs and HCs).  I have 29 of them so far in 9.8.  This is far and away the most important book in the collection and was one of my whales.  My final bid was $7,000 as this fell into the category of book that I had to have at any cost.  As a major Valiant fan it was important for me to have the first book they made.  I already have a raw copy.

One concern I had for this auction is I would set the price and then there might be a flood of this book becoming available (and remember someone bid $100 less than me). If it was a regular Marvel book from 1990 I wouldn’t have done it but I do not think there are many copies of this thin preview floating around in perfect condition. I know it was a risk to pay up for the book but I am ok with it as there may not be another copy in this grade. If more come out of the wood work and they start selling for $500 I would be ok with that too as other guys I know who want one could pick one up. I doubt that would be that case.  I was also thinking about how crazy some Nintendo video games go for and didn’t want to risk early Nintendo comics falling into that group of collectors. (I would have sold this in a Heritage comic book / video game auction myself personally and I think it would have gone for more than I paid.

I am not a video game collector but I did save money from my paper route to buy an original 8-bit Nintendo with Mario Bros/Duck Hunt when it came out to I have fond memories playing the original Nintendo games.

I do take issue with the statement it is not rare and there are many high grade copies around.  How many 1989/1990 books have more copies graded 9.0 and below than 9.2 and above.  There are 20 copies of this book graded. 

9.8 - 1

9.6 - 2

9.4 - 4

9.2 - 2

9.0 - 4

8.5 - 1

8.0 - 1

7.5 - 2

7.0 - 2

6.5 - 1

There are a few other Valiant fans that have been looking for a high grade copy, many of whom are very good at scouring esoteric places to find high grade copies of books to send off and grade.  None of them have ever found a 9.8 of this book despite looking.

Anyways I am over the moon with my purchase so am fine if others think I am crazy.  This is a book going into my collection and it will not be coming out until my heirs have to deal with all my books. 

Glad you found the book you were looking for, I was the seller.  

On 1/26/2020 at 9:07 AM, Mercury Man said:

Hmmm....I always thought and still think, the Spiderman run by Todd McFarlane (issues 1-16) is still undervalued, and everywhere.  Aside from the #1's of all colors, most issues can be had for a buck.   It was his last significant Marvel work before jumping to Image. 

IMHO, Most of McFarlane's work is undervalued. Discounting ASM 299-301, I think his best Marvel work was on Hulk, and and, of course, the classic ASM 328.

Image.jpg

Image.jpg

Image.jpg

Image.jpg

Image.jpg