• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

These are not your kids' comics . . . 1990's Comics that are Selling and in Demand
4 4

108 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, manetteska said:

What's with all the BO? :kidaround:

Got tired of paying attention, and if it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell. And it encourages many buyers who don't care to get in a bidding war. :bigsmile:

4 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Only 106 months off on that 100 Bullets

Oopsie, a typo at best :bigsmile: Still qualifies for my thread - A 20-year old book is not a "modern!" :sumo:lol

23 hours ago, divad said:

Oopsie, a typo at best :bigsmile: Still qualifies for my thread - A 20-year old book is not a "modern!" :sumo:lol

I dunno. I think a book like 100 Bullets has more in common with books from 2020 than it does with books from 1992. 

There’s no easy answers to “age” breaks. But I find I can group my walk-in back issue customers pretty well by years. And the folks who buy 1982-1994 back issues tend to not be the same customers who buy Pre-1982 stuff or post-1995 stuff. I’ve rung up hundreds and hundreds of back issue customers who get piles from specific time periods with very limited spread into other eras. 

Folks who buy books from 1983 are very likely to buy books from 1989 and very unlikely to buy books from 1979. Folks who buy books from 1990 frequently want books from 1985 and rarely want books from 1995. 

There’s a break somewhere around 2008-2009. But it isn’t as clear as the 1982 and 1995 breaks. Those two are incredibly strong. The GI Joe Age, if you will.

2 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

Ive found high grade dollar books in the dollar bins. 2099 books are dollar books. They shouldn't be worth more because some kid thinks embossed covers are cool

They’re not worth more because of some kid, they’re worth more because there’s two (or more) kids who think the covers are cool.  :grin:

3 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

Ive found high grade dollar books in the dollar bins. 2099 books are dollar books. They shouldn't be worth more because some kid thinks embossed covers are cool

Spider-Man 2099 was the standout. Miguel O Hara has appeared across multiple media's such as video games, and animation. The costume has serious staying power. This is the tip of the iceberg for the character. The toybiz variant of #1 is quite expensive already. 

Although I agree most of the 2099 characters were trash to be thrown away. 

6 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:

Spider-Man 2099 was the standout. Miguel O Hara has appeared across multiple media's such as video games, and animation. The costume has serious staying power. This is the tip of the iceberg for the character. The toybiz variant of #1 is quite expensive already. 

Spiderman was definitely the juggernaut. The story was really good at the start. Then of course the gimmicks that defined the 90s kicked in and the series faded

The Spidey, Ghost Rider, and Hulk 2099s move well at $3-5 an issue. Doom moves decently well. The rest of them, inexplicably including X-Men, do not. Hulk is second only to Spidey in how much fans love “that one time where Hulk was QQQQ”. 

Ravage 2099 doesn’t even move at 50 cents. I keep a couple runs worth in the stock we sell for warehouse sales. Any more that come in get recycled. It’s like Deathblow or Ripclaw. I’d rather trash them than give them away and risk a kid thinking all comics are that terrible. 

4 hours ago, maidenmate91 said:

Dr Doom 2099 is not one to be overlooked!

I know some dealers charging top dollar on Spider-Man 2099 Annual 1

10 hours ago, divad said:

Unless they're signed by Stan! :banana:

I guess if you had him sign over every word balloon that would definitely improve the writing. He could be the 2099 version of Groot. Just saying "STAN LEE" in response to everything.

On 6/13/2020 at 9:51 AM, lighthouse said:

The Spidey, Ghost Rider, and Hulk 2099s move well at $3-5 an issue. Doom moves decently well. The rest of them, inexplicably including X-Men, do not. Hulk is second only to Spidey in how much fans love “that one time where Hulk was QQQQ”. 

Ravage 2099 doesn’t even move at 50 cents. I keep a couple runs worth in the stock we sell for warehouse sales. Any more that come in get recycled. It’s like Deathblow or Ripclaw. I’d rather trash them than give them away and risk a kid thinking all comics are that terrible. 

I agree. I rarely find Hulk 2099 books, but Punisher, GR and Spidey are the ones to have. Last issues are very difficult finds and sell well.