• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Identifying an Artist

17 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, vodou said:

That's signed by David Quinn (writer) and Tim Vigil (artist), best known as collaborators on Faust (Northstar, Rebel Studios). Assuming this is 11x17", it's maybe worth $250. If 9x12" then $150. Or less in both cases, but not likely more.

Thanks, Vodou.  Much appreciated.  It's on 11 x 14 paper. 

5 hours ago, Stefanomjr said:

Yep @vodou nailed it.  Here's a commission I picked up from Tim Virgil back in 1991.

Your friends commission is Princess Zena Tragem,  from his Indie comic Omen. Sorry for the loss. 

Tim Vigil 1991 commission - X-Men Rogue "skinny dipping" in the sky

And thanks for IDing the character Stef. 

21 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

This would be a good idea for an ongoing thread!

Well... how about this thread? I have one that I've asked about in a couple of places, but no one could place it. May be an unpublished artist. Probably not worth much.  Piece is below, as well as the signature glyph. Can anyone place it?

cIcLKL7.jpg

fuhLpFG.jpg

2 hours ago, Will_K said:

Scarlet Witch by Chris Rich-McKelvey (last name is hyphenated)

See??  It works !!

Wow, that is quick service! I am impressed. I couldn't find any published work, just pin-ups. I did find his employment as janitor though.

https://www.fpm.iastate.edu/maps/buildings/building.asp?id=13

Edited by RBerman

You guys are indeed impressive so I will give this a try. 

I friend of mine got this at SDCC back in '96 and gifted me with it (he knew I liked the character and OA in general). He didn't get the artists name and I didn't follow up...a gift is a gift. So who knows...maybe one of you might know who the artist is. 

IMG_2041.jpg

fullsizeoutput_691.jpeg

Edited by davidtere
additional image

Hi Everyone,  back again with another query.  I chair a fundraiser every year to benefit an order of Catholic nuns.  We received the following piece for our silent auction.  Two questions:  1.  Is this an original drawing or a print?  I wasn't aware that Disney stores sold originals.  2. Can someone identify the artist?

DD Drawing.jpg

DD Sig.jpg

On 1/31/2020 at 3:25 PM, davidtere said:

You guys are indeed impressive so I will give this a try. 

I friend of mine got this at SDCC back in '96 and gifted me with it (he knew I liked the character and OA in general). He didn't get the artists name and I didn't follow up...a gift is a gift. So who knows...maybe one of you might know who the artist is. 

IMG_2041.jpg

fullsizeoutput_691.jpeg

This piece was done by Jacinto (Chachi) Hernandez. He and his brother Gabe were at SDCC for many years, and as it turns out, we went to the same high school in Lima, Peru although at different time periods. Talk about six degrees of separation. I haven't gone to SDCC in years, but it was always a pleasure to talk with the Hernandez brothers and admire their pen and ink work. You can google Chachi Hernandez.

9 hours ago, Brenmark said:

This piece was done by Jacinto (Chachi) Hernandez. He and his brother Gabe were at SDCC for many years, and as it turns out, we went to the same high school in Lima, Peru although at different time periods. Talk about six degrees of separation. I haven't gone to SDCC in years, but it was always a pleasure to talk with the Hernandez brothers and admire their pen and ink work. You can google Chachi Hernandez.

Thank you Brenmark for solving an over 20 year mystery. :tink:also thank you...this is my 100th post. 

Edited by davidtere
incorrect name

2 hours ago, Moondog said:

Apparently it's an original drawing since CAF wouldn't allow prints, right?

CAF doesn't enforce an "art only" rule or ban on prints.  It looks like the one on CAF dates from the late 70's.  I've heard that Disneyland/Disney World had authorized artists that would draw for kids at their parks.  So maybe that is one of them. 

Also, it seems like your drawing came in some kind of Disney matte.  I'd guess that yours is also from the same period.  Does yours have a Disney logo like the one on CAF ??

Is it original ?  You should be able to tell if the pencil lines are original. 

1 hour ago, Will_K said:

CAF doesn't enforce an "art only" rule or ban on prints.  It looks like the one on CAF dates from the late 70's.  I've heard that Disneyland/Disney World had authorized artists that would draw for kids at their parks.  So maybe that is one of them. 

Also, it seems like your drawing came in some kind of Disney matte.  I'd guess that yours is also from the same period.  Does yours have a Disney logo like the one on CAF ??

Is it original ?  You should be able to tell if the pencil lines are original. 

There's a logo, but it's different than the one in the CAF image.  It's framed (and I don't want to remove the frame) so it's difficult to tell if the blue pencil is printed or drawn.  I found Jerry Stout on Google and as you said, he was a DW sketch artist.  I believe this was purchased there in the gift shop.  Thanks again for your help.  I truly appreciate it.