• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yard sale rants
1 1

60 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I decided to blow out a bunch of merchandise in a sale in my side yard this weekend.

I did alright but had two very strange encounters.

I've owned this property since the end of May so when someone showed up looking for the old owner, I explained this to the seemingly normal fifty year old women. To my shock, I'm hit with an F bomb and called an Fi g insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Woman says she was here last week and wants to return something  that doesn't work. I explain the store wasn't open and she starts chanting something  under her breath and tells me my store is now cursed.  Tells me she would have settled for a refund but now I have earned her scorn and she is going to go on Facebook and tell the world her story.

Other one I kind of feel bad about. I had a bunch of Barbies on a lower shelf, marked $5 each. On the upper she were some collectible Barbies with a sign asking people not to handle them. So this grandmother type is looking at the $5 ones,and reaches up to bring two of the upper shelf ones down.  I see this and tell her the ones in her hands are expensive. She gets all indignant and tells me she is a collector and knows what they are worth.

It's been a long weekend and I was a bit impatient with her so when she asks how much they are, I tell her $50 each, figuring that will end it. She counters at $40 but I don't feel like dealing with her so I tell her I can't do better as they are on consignment. She goes into this rant about how it is illegal to sell consigned items at a yard sale and how I need special permits to sell consigned items in Arizona. I don't have time for this and pick the items up and say then I guess they aren't for sale then. She pulls out a $100 Bill and asks if I have change, that she will take the one for $50 but if I wasn't such a bully she'd have bought both for $100. At this point I was done and refused her money telling her if she wasn't such a pain, she could have had both for $50.  Let's just say neither of us were happy.

All in all, a reasonably successful first sale.

These women seem to know you better than I thought.

😂

Just kidding shad, .....well sorta kidding.😆

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

At this point I was done and refused her money telling her if she wasn't such a pain, she could have had both for $50. 

To be honest, I had to laugh, cuz I really wasn't expecting that word

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Woman says she was here last week and wants to return something  that doesn't work. I explain the store wasn't open and she starts chanting something  under her breath and tells me my store is now cursed.  Tells me she would have settled for a refund but now I have earned her scorn and she is going to go on Facebook and tell the world her story.

There are people out there who are into some weird sh*t.  Whether you'll notice anything or not depends on how much power she has. Most likely, not much. 

4 minutes ago, Senormac said:

There are people out there who are into some weird sh*t.  Whether you'll notice anything or not depends on how much power she has. Most likely, not much. 

Check to see if you have any buttons missing.:fear:

5 hours ago, shadroch said:

I decided to blow out a bunch of merchandise in a sale in my side yard this weekend.

I've owned this property since the end of May so when someone showed up looking for the old owner, I explained this to the seemingly normal fifty year old women. To my shock, I'm hit with an F bomb and called an Fi g insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Other one I kind of feel bad about. I had a bunch of Barbies on a lower shelf, marked $5 each. On the upper she were some collectible Barbies with a sign asking people not to handle them. So this grandmother type is looking at the $5 ones,and reaches up to bring two of the upper shelf ones down.  I see this and tell her the ones in her hands are expensive. She gets all indignant and tells me she is a collector and knows what they are worth.

It's been a long weekend and I was a bit impatient with her so when she asks how much they are, I tell her $50 each, figuring that will end it. She counters at $40 but I don't feel like dealing with her so I tell her I can't do better as they are on consignment. She goes into this rant about how it is illegal to sell consigned items at a yard sale and how I need special permits to sell consigned items in Arizona. I don't have time for this and pick the items up and say then I guess they aren't for sale then. She pulls out a $100 Bill and asks if I have change, that she will take the one for $50 but if I wasn't such a bully she'd have bought both for $100. At this point I was done and refused her money telling her if she wasn't such a pain, she could have had both for $50.  Let's just say neither of us were happy.

A little something for a new york guy not in noo yawk.

3nab0k.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

Sucks @shadroch, we have a community yard sale in our neighborhood twice a year. Sold some DVDs for $1 a piece, a person bought 10, and I told them to pick out 5 more for free to get rid of them. They came back 6 months later wanting to return the 15 DVDs because they watched them, and wanted to trade for 20 more??

O.o— Don’t even want to participate in this event, but we have too  😕

2 hours ago, tv horror said:

He was clueless even in Jeepers creepers.xD

Oh Honey...You're wanted at the door I think it's some sort of Demon!

Oh honey I found your button here ya go-

13 hours ago, shadroch said:

Hah. And you thought you were leaving difficult people back in New York? They followed you!

I get the people offering 25 cents for an item marked $2 that is an unopened $20 item. Or being sneaky... My wife sold vintage costume jewelry. Each item was in a clear bag with a marked price. Guy comes, takes them all out of their bags, making it impossible for me to figure it out, and then asks how much, and is offering about 10% of what they had been priced, so 50 cents for thing she had marked $5"that would be $25 in a store. But yeah, I love the 25 cent offers, as if I desperately need 25 cents. Some of it is cultural I guess given that I live in a melting pot.

Edited by the blob

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

I get the people offering 25 cents for an item marked $2 that is an unopened $20 item. Or being sneaky... My wife sold vintage costume jewelry. Each item was in a clear bag with a marked price. Guy comes, takes them all out of their bags, making it impossible for me to figure it out, and then asks how much, and is offering about 10% of what they had been priced, so 50 cents for thing she had marked $5"that would be $25 in a store. But yeah, I love the 25 cent offers, as if I desperately need 25 cents. Some of it is cultural I guess given that I live in a melting pot.

"Yo mama so poor she have to switch stickers at a yard sale"

18 hours ago, the blob said:

Otoh our annual neighborhood yard sale is generally good for $2-300. This year I hope we are ready for it. Usually I run around like crazy for the hour before we open trying to find stuff.

Honey where's the children?xD

On 1/26/2020 at 7:46 AM, shadroch said:

I get freaks like that from time to time when I set up at flea markets. I just take them away, turn my back and talk to someone else. 

Here’s one. I set up at Terry’s con every year. I have various boxes of half price Marvel & DC GA/SA/BA. I also have boxes of higher priced similar books. I got some kid mix ‘em up and tell me they were all half price stuff. Come on, like I’m some dumb old geezer that doesn’t know any better? I ended up just taking them out of his hands and told him to get lost. 

This year, I got smart and put a tiny red dot on the higher priced ones. Guess what? Two kids tried the same thing and looked all astonished when I pointed it out. Away they slinked with their tails between their legs like bad puppies...:roflmao: