• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yard sale rants
1 1

60 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

I'm 6'3ish and he was a good bit taller....looks like he could be a linebacker....and is here to give me a list of recalled items I shouldn't be selling. 

You should have looked him square in the chest and told him to get bent.

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

What were the items? Will you stop selling them?

I wasn’t selling any. It’s things like old cribs and car seats. Mostly old baby stuff.

Only thing he warned me about was the old pre war lead soldiers but they are marketed to adults.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

So I get to my property about 11:15AM and one of my guys tells me a guy in a suit was here and just left.Said he was from Consumer Affairs.  Imthinking I cant believe the woman complained and especially cant believe they responded so quick.About a half hour later this man walks in that looks like he could be a linebacker. Im 6'3ish and he .was a good bit taller.

He introduces himself and says he is the  Field Agent for the US Consumer Agency in the Tucson area and is here to give me a list of recalled items I shouldn't be selling. 

Says he gets down this way once every few months but gives me a number to call if I have questions about a specific item and left behind a couple of pamplets.

That is crazy :roflmao:

Just now, Deadpoolica said:

That is crazy :roflmao:

If we want to put on our tin foil hats, the old lady's grand son is the 6'4"+ that lives with her and can't say no, and bullys his way to please grandma because she's the boss and he'll keep her happy dontchaknow..... and now said duo will appear in this thread to demand slander or libel 

giphy-2.gif

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If we want to put on our tin foil hats, the old lady's grand son is the 6'4"+ that lives with her and can't say no, and bullys his way to please grandma because she's the boss and he'll keep her happy dontchaknow..... and now said duo will appear in this thread to demand slander or libel 

giphy.gif

48 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

giphy-2.gif

she can do what she wants!

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

he was from Consumer Affairs

I bet you that he was only going through the motions and did not want to cause you any concern, he can go back to the office happy that he read you your rights as such of do's and don't.(thumbsu I don't believe you'll ever hear from them again, in Ireland we believe that if someone curses you, that the curse befalls the giver seven times worse.:download:

He was from something like the Consumer Protection Agency. I'm glad he came by, I never had given safety much thought.  Fire protection and exits, yes, but not thinking about selling something unsafe. Swords, knives, brass knuckles, baseball bats, etc all, can be sold no problem, as they never hurt someone, but that 1970s crib ......

The weather looks good for a sequel this weekend.

Edited by shadroch

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

I bet you that he was only going through the motions and did not want to cause you any concern, he can go back to the office happy that he read you your rights as such of do's and don't.(thumbsu I don't believe you'll ever hear from them again, in Ireland we believe that if someone curses you, that the curse befalls the giver seven times worse.:download:

leprechaun.jpe

You have to have some thick skin to have a yard sale as you'll be dealing with the public and all of their idiosyncrasies.  I've had some profitable ones, but to get there I've seen people offer fifty cents on a marked $20.00 item, I've seen (or rather, missed seeing) people shoplift items marked at fifty cents and I've had someone gather up 10-15 items from all over, offer $1-$2, then leave them in disgust when I wasn't enthralled with the offer.

But the one that sticks in my mind was this well-dressed lady in her mid-40s who tooled up in a Mercedes.  She struck me as a nouveau riche type and was one of those "touch" browsers that had to pick up every item, only to put it down again and usually in the wrong place.  One such item was a small, cheap ceramic palm tree S&P shaker with 2 ceramic coconuts that hung at the top with small holes for the salt and pepper.  I had it marked at $1.00 and laid it down flat so the small coconuts would not roll off or make the tree tip and fall with any wind.  Sure enough, she picked it up and one of the two fell on the concrete, shattering it and making it now a unilateral salt shaker (or pepper... I don't remember which).  Of course she sought me out, apologized for breaking the item, paid the buck and went on her way...... Nahhh, I'm just kidding. No apologies, she put it back like nothing happened, left the broken piece on the ground and started walking to her car.  I guess if it would have been anyone else I would have just shrugged and put it down to breakage accidents and let it ride, but it bothered me to have someone stroll over to your property, break something, and because of a sense of entitlement, a feeling that they're better than you or simply bad manners they would just walk away as if nothing happened without even an apology or at least an acknowledgement.       

I intercepted, pointed out that she had broken this item which was no longer useful and asked her to pay-up.  She said she didn't have money.  I looked pointedly at her Benz, raised an eyebrow Spock-like and noted that people usually don't go to yard sales without money (at this point I knew I was never going to get a cent out of this creature, so I decided to see how far to extend the ridiculousness).  She insisted she had none and continued to walk to the car, when I again interjected to point out what had happened and what she intended to do about paying for this broken item which I could no longer sell.  She didn't break stride and said she would just have to go to an ATM and return with the money.  I repeated everything again, emphasizing the absurdity and with an incredulous tone.  "Let me get this straight:  You broke a $1 item, you don't have $1 in your posession (not even in change), you're going to track down an ATM, get the dollar then return and pay for this shaker?"  She continued to mutter that she would, then just drove away, leaving me in a cloud of diesel.

2 hours ago, SeniorSurfer said:

You have to have some thick skin to have a yard sale as you'll be dealing with the public and all of their idiosyncrasies.  I've had some profitable ones, but to get there I've seen people offer fifty cents on a marked $20.00 item, I've seen (or rather, missed seeing) people shoplift items marked at fifty cents and I've had someone gather up 10-15 items from all over, offer $1-$2, then leave them in disgust when I wasn't enthralled with the offer.

But the one that sticks in my mind was this well-dressed lady in her mid-40s who tooled up in a Mercedes.  She struck me as a nouveau riche type and was one of those "touch" browsers that had to pick up every item, only to put it down again and usually in the wrong place.  One such item was a small, cheap ceramic palm tree S&P shaker with 2 ceramic coconuts that hung at the top with small holes for the salt and pepper.  I had it marked at $1.00 and laid it down flat so the small coconuts would not roll off or make the tree tip and fall with any wind.  Sure enough, she picked it up and one of the two fell on the concrete, shattering it and making it now a unilateral salt shaker (or pepper... I don't remember which).  Of course she sought me out, apologized for breaking the item, paid the buck and went on her way...... Nahhh, I'm just kidding. No apologies, she put it back like nothing happened, left the broken piece on the ground and started walking to her car.  I guess if it would have been anyone else I would have just shrugged and put it down to breakage accidents and let it ride, but it bothered me to have someone stroll over to your property, break something, and because of a sense of entitlement, a feeling that they're better than you or simply bad manners they would just walk away as if nothing happened without even an apology or at least an acknowledgement.       

I intercepted, pointed out that she had broken this item which was no longer useful and asked her to pay-up.  She said she didn't have money.  I looked pointedly at her Benz, raised an eyebrow Spock-like and noted that people usually don't go to yard sales without money (at this point I knew I was never going to get a cent out of this creature, so I decided to see how far to extend the ridiculousness).  She insisted she had none and continued to walk to the car, when I again interjected to point out what had happened and what she intended to do about paying for this broken item which I could no longer sell.  She didn't break stride and said she would just have to go to an ATM and return with the money.  I repeated everything again, emphasizing the absurdity and with an incredulous tone.  "Let me get this straight:  You broke a $1 item, you don't have $1 in your posession (not even in change), you're going to track down an ATM, get the dollar then return and pay for this shaker?"  She continued to mutter that she would, then just drove away, leaving me in a cloud of diesel.

Oh this is so priceless.  There are sooo many ways you could have made her feel more uncomfortable than she already was but what you did was probably the most excruciating.  You could have also asked her to paypal you the dollar.

Sounds like she was a real nut crusher.

I would have picked up the ceramic palm tree with the remaining salt/pepper coconut and made her take it but handing it in such a way that it caused the last remaining coconut to fall and break leaving her with a useless ceramic palm tree then sadly look up at her and ask her why she had to come into my life and smash my nuts like that and leave?

8 minutes ago, justafan said:

Oh this is so priceless.  There are sooo many ways you could have made her feel more uncomfortable than she already was but what you did was probably the most excruciating.  You could have also asked her to paypal you the dollar.

I would have picked up the ceramic palm tree with the remaining salt/pepper coconut and made her take it but handing it in such a way that it caused the last remaining coconut to fall and break leaving her with a useless ceramic palm tree then sadly look up at her and ask her why she had to come into my life and smash my nuts like that and leave?

21 minutes ago, justafan said:

I wish I could say she was uncomfortable.  Among the sorry, sordid parts about this episode though was the obvious, dismissive "I don't care/I can't be bothered" attitude in her demeanor.  There wasn't the slightest bit of remorse or shame or guilt.

It would have been great to step into the movie world for a moment and pull a Rodney Dangerfield at the end of "Caddyshack" as Ted Knight wants to stiff him and not pay up, whereupon Rodney exclaims:  "Yeah, that's what I thought.  Hey Moose... Rocco... help the judge find his checkbook."