• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie with a box of Silver age
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I inherited a box of Silver age comics and am having trouble figure out best step forward.

I know step one is to get them out of the box and into some selves, most of them are in fantastic condition but have slight curls along the spine as a result of being stacked in a box. 

1. Will pressing solve the spine curl issue? 
  2. Should I get the more valuable ones graded?
  3. If the grading comes back not perfect, do people then opt for restoration?
  4. When is restoration a good idea? 
  5. Does restoration usually increase the grading?

I'm not interested in selling these right now, but want to do what i can now to maximize their value whenever the times comes.

Thanks, 

Its a mix of Flash, Worlds Finest, Justice League America, Action, Green Lantern, Superboy...

This Green Lantern comic is one of the better shaped ones, while the Action Comic shows this spine role/curl i was talking about. 

Green.jpg

Scan_20200127.jpg

Edited by apeg

What are your plans for these books?, Are you planning on keeping them or selling them.

If you plan to keep them, do you plan on reading them, if so you do not want to have them graded, if you are selling then Yes, a CGC graded book will probably bring you more $ than a Non Graded (Raw) book.

If you are keeping them whether graded or Raw they will need to be stored properly, a CGC case does not offer any more protection for a book than a Mylite and Acid Free Board.

Both need to be stored in the proper conditions, away from ALL Light/Heat Sources, Controlled Temp/Humidity (no attics/outdoor sheds/garages or unfinished basements)in Storage Boxes, Raw books need to be placed in Mylites with Acid Free Backing Boards, if you want to display any books, even CGC graded books, they need to be placed in frames that offer UV protection.

Just as an example of value, just for example purposes we will hypothetically say your Green Lantern 40 is a FN 6.0, Raw GL 40 in FN 6.0 have sold on eBay auctions for $50.00 - $60.00 while a CGC FN 6.0 sold for $134.00, your experience may differ.

To answer one of your other questions, as far as I know Restoration is never a good idea,(would really depend on the book) it will get you a "Purple Restored Label" from CGC and folks refer to that as (Purple Label Of Death because it drastically affects its value).

CGC Label Designations

https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/labels/

5 hours ago, apeg said:

Its a mix of Flash, Worlds Finest, Justice League America, Action, Green Lantern, Superboy...

This Green Lantern comic is one of the better shaped ones, while the Action Comic shows this spine role/curl i was talking about. 

Green.jpg

Scan_20200127.jpg

I probably wouldn't be sending these type books to CGC. The Green Lantern 40 has a subscription crease and could just as easily be a VG grade as a Fine. With shipping and CGC fees you could be better off selling it raw. A box of mid grade silver age books is going to have some value to it, but getting them graded could easily eat into your profits. Put them in a mylar with a nice backing board and they will present well.

19 hours ago, apeg said:

Thanks for the tips, I dont have plans to sell them anytime soon so i'll get them in plastic and back into a dry location. 

Good to know regarding restoration.

Thanks again,

When you say "Plastic"...

Just a little clarification...

Poly Bags are fine for short term storage and are not expensive, however, they break down over time and produce acids that will/may damage the books over time, it is recommended to replace Poly Bags every 5 years.

Mylar is an Inert Archival Safe material that does not break down and contains no acids, Mylar is more expensive than Poly but will last a lifetime.

With both you should be using an Acid Free or Buffered Backing Board.

https://www.egerber.com/

giphy.gif

On 1/26/2020 at 2:06 PM, apeg said:
  • Will pressing solve the spine curl issue? 

Yes

• Should I get the more valuable ones graded?

Yes

• When is restoration a good idea? 

It's NEVER a good idea

On 1/28/2020 at 12:10 PM, marvelmaniac said:

When you say "Plastic"...

Just a little clarification...

Poly Bags are fine for short term storage and are not expensive, however, they break down over time and produce acids that will/may damage the books over time, it is recommended to replace Poly Bags every 5 years.

Mylar is an Inert Archival Safe material that does not break down and contains no acids, Mylar is more expensive than Poly but will last a lifetime.

With both you should be using an Acid Free or Buffered Backing Board.

https://www.egerber.com/

giphy.gif

Thanks for the link, that's probably the best pricing I've seen for Mylar2. 

My plan was to take the advice from this post:

But since i have no gold, only silver, i was going to use 750FB / 775M2 

Edited by apeg

Thanks Deadpoolica,

This forum has been a great resource, i think i'm best concentrating efforts on specific gems that are in decent condition rather then worrying about the entire collection. 

Mylar bags for all. Pressing, cleaning & grading for the outliers: