• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Amazing Spider-Man #129 CGC 9.2 - $2,020 shipped
1 1

22 posts in this topic

No probies or HOSers.  First :takeit: in thread wins over any PM discussions or takes.  US only (no international), PayPal or Zelle preferred, will also take check if you don't mind waiting for it to clear before I ship.  No returns.  Thanks for looking. 

Amazing Spider-Man #129 CGC 9.2 with OW/W pages

$2,100 $2,020 shipped - FIRM - brand new slab - GPA data 90 day average is $2,185 and 12 mo average is $2,351

asm129f92new.thumb.jpg.be9f487d8347bc0d5f9732f5b7f306bb.jpg

asm129b92new.thumb.jpg.cc464cad33d385f64887d1350d6b8748.jpg

Edited by RedGiant

24 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

A very nice copy and it would have been a screaming deal at this price only six months ago, but it seems as though the bottom has fallen under from this book.

good luck with the sale (thumbsu

I don't think that necessarily the case. Its more that many of these books are being affected by the sales tax which is now being included on sales for many sites. Many customers are factoring this in to the price. If you take the last few GPAs on several of these books, apply the applicable sales tax and the numbers are about the same.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

A very nice copy and it would have been a screaming deal at this price only six months ago, but it seems as though the bottom has fallen under from this book.

I wouldn't say the bottom has fallen out, last 4 sales average right around $2,100.  Regardless, I feel this is a solid deal for someone looking for a 9.2.

1 hour ago, Dale Roberts said:

I don't think that necessarily the case. Its more that many of these books are being affected by the sales tax which is now being included on sales for many sites. Many customers are factoring this in to the price. If you take the last few GPAs on several of these books, apply the applicable sales tax and the numbers are about the same.

@Dale Roberts want to make sure I follow here, are you saying ebay and GPA prices reflect total price for book plus taxes paid?  I thought they published just the price of the book.  I live in Oregon, so sales tax to me only comes up when I travel.

Edited by RedGiant

8 minutes ago, RedGiant said:

I wouldn't say the bottom has fallen out, last 4 sales average right around $2,100.  Regardless, I feel this is a solid deal for someone looking for a 9.2.

@Dale Roberts want to make sure I follow here, are you saying ebay and GPA prices reflect total price for book plus taxes paid?  I thought they published just the price of the book.  I live in Oregon, so sales tax to me only comes up when I travel.

FWIW, the sales tax should be applied at the moment of processing the eBay payment, and thus not included in the eBay asking price, but mayve Dale was speaking of other venues?

11 minutes ago, RedGiant said:

I think I follow now @Dale Roberts - and thank you @vaillant

He probably meant that people, when they know they’ll have to pay the sales tax, they are willing to spend less than before.
Yes, that sales tax thing sucks, especially for foreign buyers which tried to save on shipping.

8 minutes ago, vaillant said:

He probably meant that people, when they know they’ll have to pay the sales tax, they are willing to spend less than before.
Yes, that sales tax thing sucks, especially for foreign buyers which tried to save on shipping.

Yep, I get it.  If you were willing to pay $3,000 for a book when you weren't being charged sales tax, maybe you might now only be willing to pay $3,000 minus 6/7/10% (whatever your sales tax rate is) - effectively dropping the value of the book.  Doing a quick search of GPA for 'liquid' books, I agree with @Dale Roberts - seems to line up almost precisely.  

Edited by RedGiant

2 hours ago, Dale Roberts said:

This is a very true statement.

in California where I am whether it be eBay it other auction sites there is now a 10% sales tax. That’s like another buyers premium.

so if I am will to pay 2200 for a spider 129 9.2 my max bid would be 2k. I actually paid 2200 for the book but gpa records the sale at 2k 

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

This place may be tax-free for the buyers.  All auction houses except one is Pedigree Comics (I recently paid one book included the shipping without the sales tax), eBay and Etsy are automatically using the sales tax under the laws. I intend to check the shipping rate in eBay to see if I am required to pay the tax.

9 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

This place may be tax-free for the buyers.  All auction houses except one is Pedigree Comics (I recently paid one book included the shipping without the sales tax), eBay and Etsy are automatically using the sales tax under the laws. I intend to check the shipping rate in eBay to see if I am required to pay the tax.

On eBay what is worse for overseas buyers is that you do not know beforehand whether the US state you’re buying from has the tax, and how much the tax is. So to guess-estimate you have to simulate the checkout and see if it applies the tax, and then decide.
This is a burdensome thing, especially for costly purchases.

3 hours ago, vaillant said:

On eBay what is worse for overseas buyers is that you do not know beforehand whether the US state you’re buying from has the tax, and how much the tax is. So to guess-estimate you have to simulate the checkout and see if it applies the tax, and then decide.
This is a burdensome thing, especially for costly purchases.

It was Global Shipping Program via eBay.  Many international buyers complained about it so I removed it in a long time ago.  I haven't sold a single copy to the buyer who lives oversea since 2012.  I could imagine the costliest of all is the custom. They ususally asked to reduce the value before shipping internationally.

Edited by JollyComics

GPA and GoCollect need to start reflecting TOTAL price paid less shipping, to include sales tax where paid.  It's a no brainer.  THAT is the price that was paid, i.e., what the buyer was willing pay and what should be reflected on those websites.   Does anyone know if they are incapable of reflecting that, or simply haven't to this point because it was such a minority of purchases that were subject to sales tax (b/c folks were better able before, than now, to avoid sales tax venues)?  

In the end, all should expect sales tax anyway so prices will be adjusting upward to absorb that, because folks still want the books.   It may soon not be practical to wait for a non-tax venue to offer the book you want...that could be a long wait, in vain in the case of some hard to find books.  For me as a collector, a long wait could prove unbearable!   :) 

Woops, RedGiant sry for jumping on this hijacking of your sales thread.  But my last point is saying, if someone WANTS that ASM 129 the tax shouldn't be a long-term concern.  For the flipper, whatever.  But not for the collector so much.  If I had cash (I'm waiting to hear on particular different title/book in another sales thread), an ASM129 would be something I happen to need.   :/

Edited by Pantodude