• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Personalized Books and Value
1 1

8 posts in this topic

So really random question. I have a few yellow labeled signed photo variant comics that are signed by the actors on the cover. They personalized them by signing “To X...” and then their names. 

Do you think it lowers the value or if someone wants their signitature then it doesn’t matter?

Very much lowers the value unless the signature is unbelievably rare

or there are no non- personalized sigs available 

3 minutes ago, revat said:

I figured that may be the case. I’ve only ever had it done twice out of the handful of signed books I have. Thank you for the reply.

On 1/27/2020 at 2:40 AM, revat said:

In the whole world of autographed items (comics, books, photographs, anything else), "flat signed" (as they are called) signatures are usually more valuable than dedicated ones. "To David.." always lowers the value (because it is only really attractive to people called David, unless - as revert has said - it is an unbelievably rare signature / collectors will take anything).

In my experience, a non-personalised addition (a sketch, a few relevant words, even the date) are welcomed. e.g. A Stan Lee signature + "Excelsior!" is attractive and usually attracts a premium.

The only point I would add is that I personally like "To Stephen" on SOME of my signatures. I usually have no intention to sell the item, and I love being reminded of the special day I met whoever.

In the end, it's up to you.

Best wishes

Stephen

On 1/26/2020 at 6:40 PM, revat said:

I disagree on value and desirability, which I imagine will be contingent upon the eye of the beholder. As an autograph collector, I believe that the more ink the better! I like the "Lot's of luck to you Jim, from Jack Kirby". That's Kirby's ink, and in my opinion, as an autograph collector as well as a comic collector, every extra stroke of Kirby's pen when signing his name, whether words, salutations, or doodles and sketches is great and a plus rather than a deterrent. 

Edited by James J Johnson

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 9:02 PM, RelicHunter said:

So really random question. I have a few yellow labeled signed photo variant comics that are signed by the actors on the cover. They personalized them by signing “To X...” and then their names. 

Do you think it lowers the value or if someone wants their signitature then it doesn’t matter?

As a hunter of sigs it does matter to me.  I collect SS books and other items with sigs on them and I avoid personalization.  Honestly I don't want to look at a book or other item with someone else's name on it and be reminded that another person collected the sig and owned it for awhile.  Makes me wonder why they sold it in the first place.  And this is especially true for books.  To me the less ink that covers up the art work on the cover the better.

22 hours ago, James J Johnson said:
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 6:40 PM, revat said:

I disagree on value and desirability, which I imagine will be contingent upon the eye of the beholder. As an autograph collector, I believe that the more ink the better! I like the "Lot's of luck to you Jim, from Jack Kirby". That's Kirby's ink, and in my opinion, as an autograph collector as well as a comic collector, every extra stroke of Kirby's pen when signing his name, whether words, salutations, or doodles and sketches is great and a plus rather than a deterrent. 

Certainly with the right book and the right collector and the right knowledge and experience, there may be some opportunities to collect a premium for personalized sigs.  But the way the original post was phrased, it seemed like a more general thing.  And generally, the market is set up such that the more people want something, the higher the price will be, assuming supply is limited.  Of course there are some buyers that are indifferent to personalized sigs or even enjoy the extra 'writing', but if there are more people that prefer to non-personalized sigs to personalized sigs, the market will result in premium (of varying value) for non-personalized sig. 

That isn't a judgment on the personal tastes on any one individual, or to say there aren't plenty of people with varying preferences and price vs taste preferences.

I definitely appreciate all the input, gang.

I tend to stray from collecting signatures, unless they are already signed at the time of purchase. I personally find the process of figuring out the perfect book to get signed, time spent in lines, and the cost of both the signiature and grading not worth it. 

The signiatures I have graded current that are personalized are an “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” #1 photo variant signed by Ming-Na Wen and a “Jay and Silent Bob” photo cover signed by Jason Mewes. They are definitely books I would be hard pressed to sell (if anyone would even want them lol) but I have been trying to organize and was curious how they would effect the values (if any). And I think I have the answer.

Again, I appreciate all the comments!