• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What I’ve noticed on Facebook groups, a stock cover gets more likes than a CGC graded 9.8 cover.. Why is that?
3 3

69 posts in this topic

So I’ve posted some of my collection graded 9.8 in CGC on some Facebook groups, closely after someone else will post an obvious stock image of the same cover.. it will get twice as many likes, why do you all think that is?

- I know a lot of people think grading is a waste of money, but a common (noticeable) stock cover will get more likes than a graded 9.8 copy??

I collect Graded copies for my satisfaction, but stock photos appreciated more.. What’s your thoughts? (shrug)

50 minutes ago, the blob said:

Why do you care what dopey people think?

I guess I’m just wondering if graded comics, outside of this community are appreciated? It seems in Facebook groups every issue is a 9.8 that they own 😆

If I were for Example to post this image..A77FDB85-D263-4D25-A9E0-478FDABA825F.jpeg.49c66a33d9d9844aa200a55c8d8fd781.jpeg

I would get some likes, and comments praising the collection, and others how they have that set in better/ perfect condition. Waste of money, how do you read them, and some telling other members that liked it, that it would only cost $100 Or less to have one like it or better. 😆

Then this image of a reprinted tpb would be posted soon after.. and get more likes ...E8080A56-F363-4E16-98F6-A84C356EE76C.jpeg.45b759cab04c9b07f9dd0e0f09a44e12.jpeg

Just wondering if the outside of the community world cares about grading, or single issues anymore? As everything is available in digital format, reprints, and TPB (shrug)

Are the days of knowing how to grade, and condition.. Heck even owning individual issues, turning not important these days?

Just wondering if we’re a smaller group than I thought is all.  ??? :tonofbricks:

Edited by nepatkm

I am am old man, not part of "like" culture. I don't "like" anything on FB because the person I lime may have "liked" something posted by someone who once made a racist post, so that would apparently mean I an a racist too (law of communicative property or something). My wife yelled at me for not liking something and I was all "are you f-ing kidding me???"

I’m on a bunch of character fan groups, that’s where I feel the dislike is...

Yeah , if you go to Graded groups, they mostly understand. Like CGC comic collectors society -  👍

Edited by nepatkm

11 minutes ago, the blob said:

I am am old man, not part of "like" culture. I don't "like" anything on FB because the person I lime may have "liked" something posted by someone who once made a racist post, so that would apparently mean I an a racist too (law of communicative property or something). My wife yelled at me for not liking something and I was all "are you f-ing kidding me???"

More or less just curious about the likes, and comments. It does make me wonder though. The differential is noticeable from a nice graded book, and a posted stock image.  And it’s just not on my posts. There’s a few in fan groups ( not graded groups) who post graded copies, but never as appreciated seemingly as a posted stock image with watermarks and all. Curious is all...

Edited by nepatkm
Cookeries?

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Only explanation for them not getting likes is others in the group don't know you. What groups are these? Are they knowledgeable collectors groups? 

No not graded groups, lot of love for graded books on those. Mostly noticed in Character fan pages. (Which have higher member counts than graded groups)

The reason Why I’m posing the question if grading is only cared about in a smaller community than we here think?

1 hour ago, nepatkm said:

No not graded groups, lot of love for graded books on those. Mostly noticed in Character fan pages. (Which have higher member counts than graded groups)

The reason Why I’m posing the question if grading is only cared about in a smaller community than we here think?

Well I have a coworker & neighbor that are major marvel comics fans. Not collectors in any way just into characters & movies. None of them had any clue about cgc before hearing it from me. A good portion of those in fan groups may not even know what 9.8 means. 

The "certification" crowd is probably tiny in comparison to the overall universe of industry consumers. The high grade crowd who spend thousands of 💵 on one slab is even tini tinier! I don't know that its smaller than we think since I'm under no delusion it's anything more than a niche hobby to begin with. Pretty sure it always has been so I don't think its any reason to worry. 

Heck there's people even here that collect books but don't believe in certification. Maybe they think it turns them into commodities so they reject the idea. Like I said no reason to sweat it :)

Edited by MGsimba77

5 hours ago, nepatkm said:

I guess I’m just wondering if graded comics, outside of this community are appreciated? It seems in Facebook groups every issue is a 9.8 that they own 😆

If I were for Example to post this image..A77FDB85-D263-4D25-A9E0-478FDABA825F.jpeg.49c66a33d9d9844aa200a55c8d8fd781.jpeg

I would get some likes, and comments praising the collection, and others how they have that set in better/ perfect condition. Waste of money, how do you read them, and some telling other members that liked it, that it would only cost $100 Or less to have one like it or better. 😆

Then this image of a reprinted tpb would be posted soon after.. and get more likes ...E8080A56-F363-4E16-98F6-A84C356EE76C.jpeg.45b759cab04c9b07f9dd0e0f09a44e12.jpeg

Just wondering if the outside of the community world cares about grading, or single issues anymore? As everything is available in digital format, reprints, and TPB (shrug)

Are the days of knowing how to grade, and condition.. Heck even owning individual issues, turning not important these days?

Just wondering if we’re a smaller group than I thought is all.  ??? :tonofbricks:

It could also be that the image you posted is way too busy and also too hard to see the art on the comics themselves. I'm not one for liking things on Facebook, but between the two if I had to give out a single like it would be the tpb image. 

18 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

It could also be that the image you posted is way too busy and also too hard to see the art on the comics themselves. I'm not one for liking things on Facebook, but between the two if I had to give out a single like it would be the tpb image. 

Yeah, bad example @Kon_Jelly 

Just switch with any high grade comic, and the same raw book ungraded. I believe that @MGsimba77 is correct in his statement.
I think I’ve just been around graded comics for so long now, that I forgot the feeling of just owning a copy of a comic regardless of the grade. (thumbsu And in character fan based groups, the stories are way more important than a number on an encapsulated case. I understand it now lol:idea:

On 1/27/2020 at 2:34 AM, MGsimba77 said:

Well I have a coworker & neighbor that are major marvel comics fans. Not collectors in any way just into characters & movies. None of them had any clue about cgc before hearing it from me. A good portion of those in fan groups may not even know what 9.8 means. 

The "certification" crowd is probably tiny in comparison to the overall universe of industry consumers. The high grade crowd who spend thousands of 💵 on one slab is even tini tinier! I don't know that its smaller than we think since I'm under no delusion it's anything more than a niche hobby to begin with. Pretty sure it always has been so I don't think its any reason to worry. 

Heck there's people even here that collect books but don't believe in certification. Maybe they think it turns them into commodities so they reject the idea. Like I said no reason to sweat it :)

I think this.. many people even collectors just care about the book, there is a small group, or niche of people who care about grades.. collect the book not the grade!! 

Edited by Krismusic

If you are collecting comics and sharing pictures for the likes, you are collecting comics for the wrong reasons.

When I post on IG, I do it to share. If I get a like, great. If I get zero likes, I don't care. I am still gonna post what I buy. People can follow me and look at my stuff...or not. I just do it to contribute and be part of a community. Just like on here. I post to learn, to speak my mind, to share opinions, to congratulate cool finds, to see cool stuff. If someone likes what I write, great. Thank you for doing that. If not, I am still gonna write. 

Again, if you are upset that @supercomicmastercollector69 got 100 thumbs up on his post and you only got 4, you are internetting wrong. 

40 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

If you are collecting comics and sharing pictures for the likes, you are collecting comics for the wrong reasons.

When I post on IG, I do it to share. If I get a like, great. If I get zero likes, I don't care. I am still gonna post what I buy. People can follow me and look at my stuff...or not. I just do it to contribute and be part of a community. Just like on here. I post to learn, to speak my mind, to share opinions, to congratulate cool finds, to see cool stuff. If someone likes what I write, great. Thank you for doing that. If not, I am still gonna write. 

Again, if you are upset that @supercomicmastercollector69 got 100 thumbs up on his post and you only got 4, you are internetting wrong. 

I have to kind of agree I post of FB or IG for my own pleasure not to get likes.. if someone likes my posts cool.. dont really care much.. I enjoy seeing what others have or done etc.. keep updated on stuff etc... and I like to sometimes see on FB 5 years ago events to remember those times.. but I dont create content or worry about what get likes or not.. it's just not worth it.. unless your a pro and make money to live off of IG, FB likes.. then you should be worried as you might need a new job soon..