• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What I’ve noticed on Facebook groups, a stock cover gets more likes than a CGC graded 9.8 cover.. Why is that?
3 3

69 posts in this topic

This thread is the ultimate '1st world problem'

Who gives a rats behind what some faceless folks on the internet think.

Your books, so if you like them, that should be enough.

Facebook likes..... Jesus wept.

11 hours ago, Krismusic said:

wait who still has a wall phone in their kitchen.... I hope its cordless at the very least lol 

I heard that! I moved mine to the living room table years ago. Come on kav, get with the times.

21 hours ago, an99 said:

For the record, I do not have FB and don't ever plan to. My wife and some of my friends have asked me to join numerous times to join, but I just can't be bothered.

One of my wife's friends actually asked her one time "Why didn't you "like" any of my photos from my trip?" My wife had spoken to her on the phone, so she didn't think it was necessary to "like" the photos on FB. Apparently she was wrong. I started laughing when I heard that. I guess I just don't get the FB culture.

I also said I would never be on Facebook, however...

My Son decided to sell his collection and I offered to help, I started by contacting LCS's in the area, the problem...

Nobody lists a contact by e-mail anymore, the only way to contact an LCS other than a phone call is Facebook or Twitter, so here I am on Facebook.

When I signed up I told my family they were now in trouble, they never should have let me find this and this is what I posted...

"You are now in trouble, you tried to hide your puny/insignificant world from me but you have been found."

Fantastic Four 48 GD 2.0.JPG

72299283_114838129923290_2562800066330886144_n (1).jpg

On 1/26/2020 at 9:35 PM, nepatkm said:

I guess I’m just wondering if graded comics, outside of this community are appreciated? It seems in Facebook groups every issue is a 9.8 that they own 😆

If I were for Example to post this image..A77FDB85-D263-4D25-A9E0-478FDABA825F.jpeg.49c66a33d9d9844aa200a55c8d8fd781.jpeg

I would get some likes, and comments praising the collection, and others how they have that set in better/ perfect condition. Waste of money, how do you read them, and some telling other members that liked it, that it would only cost $100 Or less to have one like it or better. 😆

Then this image of a reprinted tpb would be posted soon after.. and get more likes ...E8080A56-F363-4E16-98F6-A84C356EE76C.jpeg.45b759cab04c9b07f9dd0e0f09a44e12.jpeg

Just wondering if the outside of the community world cares about grading, or single issues anymore? As everything is available in digital format, reprints, and TPB (shrug)

Are the days of knowing how to grade, and condition.. Heck even owning individual issues, turning not important these days?

Just wondering if we’re a smaller group than I thought is all.  ??? :tonofbricks:

One of these images is suitable as a phone wallpaper, the other isn’t. Some people are appreciating the art and not the label. Short of the MCS watermark in the corner the bottom image is much more pleasing to look at 

4 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

One of these images is suitable as a phone wallpaper, the other isn’t. Some people are appreciating the art and not the label. Short of the MCS watermark in the corner the bottom image is much more pleasing to look at 

Thanks for the response @dupont2005, Yes, I can see that also👍
 However my books,( images on my phone were never the ones I was in question with, just used them as an example (bad example), as to what I had been seeing getting likes on FB pages

- It seems everyone overlooks this statement in my original postF211F45E-C4D0-43CA-81A4-19798943924E.jpeg.902400cfc61382e52672fc7c602b0f5f.jpeg

My fault as I can’t put my thoughts into writing well. (Especially low sugar)

Mainly I was questioning copies of Graded books that I do not own getting trumped in likes, or hateful CGC comments, or bad looking books being compared to a graded book with no one seeing any flaws. (Grading is Bad on FB in certain groups)

None of the books were mine that upset me with comments (I  wish they were though Great copies!!) some examples were:

—Incredible Hulk #181 nice looking  graded copy, trumped by a MCS watermarked image...
—A lower graded Amazing Fantasy #15, upstaged by the reprinted Marvel $1 copy....

—An Amazing Spider-Man #300 in S.S 9.8 signed by Todd McFarlane, upstaged by a ratty looking raw copy

—-A Spider-Man #129 in 8.5 upstaged by the ACE reprinted edition raw

—Then the one that messed me up the most was similar to my post ( after seeing the ASM #129)... A  graded set of the Punisher Limited cut apart in comments, then Someone posted ( I admit..Nice copy of Circle of Blood GN) killing his collection in likes, and comments.
-So Felt bad for the guy, and wondered if CGC copies were actually appreciated, and posted my misunderstood question. (Bad Wording & Examples)

I’m just getting exposed to the outside world of FB collecting now, (been mostly on the CGC boards for the last 14+ years socially)
 —Company Graded Comics, well I just didn’t feel are appreciated outside of this group. 

—Anyway what I was trying to ask about :|

again:

896906B5-24CA-4EC3-8E63-775D09C7806C.jpeg.47da1480a691e0834b9a281e970444b9.jpeg

Edited by nepatkm
Graded copies not appreciated outside this group?

As has been said, graded books are a niche within a niche. The vast majority of comic buyers don't care about them at all. And that's fine. There's no right or wrong way to collect.

Also worth noting, while there are a few FB comic groups with sharp folks, most of them are populated by mouthbreathing cretins, flipping books back and forth to each other.

Either way, it's not worth getting worked up about, or thinking about at all, really. Collect what you love, love what you collect. If other people don't like it, or "like" it, you still have what you love. I try to throw a "like" up when I see something here that I genuinely think is cool, but sometimes I don't think to do so. It's also worth noting that the "like" feature is a relatively new thing for the CGC Boards. I'm sure there are still a lot of boardies who don't even use the function here. So I wouldn't take a "like" to be a true measure of interest, or lack thereof, either here or on FB. 

Tl,dr: people are dumb, don't worry about it!

To be serious as I know I did a funny post before..

No one will ever know why things are liked on FB, IG, etc.. than other things. If you took a marketing course they would tell you there is no right or wrong way to advertise. Since marketing became a thing its all just been trial & error with best guess of what will get liked and what will sell with what type of marketing. Even trying to collect data on usage, likes, follower etc.. the many marketing people that study this stuff, don't even have a clue of what drives these things; all they do is try to look for a pattern and repeat it to see if it works. So even people who study this stuff have no idea how it works or and idea of how to control/influence it.

Don't go chasing the "like" game on social media, you will never make it out alive if you do. :foryou:

Just enjoy your books, share it on social media if you want to share it, but don't worry about the likes, enjoy it for what it is and don't worry what others like so long as you like it. 

Edited by Krismusic

Thanks for everyone’s informative responses..

I was just overwhelmed by how bad grading is, and isn’t recognized outside of CGC groups. There is lot of hate out there for Graded books, also Reprints , and TPBs, are considered equal or better than individual original copies. 

I personally don’t care about the likes on Facebook, however they do matter to some people, as they have members of the group recognized in the page..

—Badges are given to people in groups, those badges let posts be shown over other members (top of page) compared to those who don’t have the badges (scroll,scroll,scroll...)
—It’s a crazy world out there in Facebook land, as I posted earlier I understand it all now, new to it, remember when I too wasn’t able to grade also. I’m very happy with the 5 groups that I’ve stayed in...

I was just amazed at lack of respect a Graded copy gets in some of the other groups out there. I now believe that out in that Facebook world raw copies would sell much higher than a graded copy would.   :devil: 

-Now can we please just let this Thread die. :$

Facebook is a funny place

Especially when someone posts about a tragedy somewhere in the world and people hit the like button.

I'm thinking are they hitting the like button because they appreciate the post informing them of the disaster.

Or they like the chaos that was posted

Or they hit the like button without even thinking what they like

Very bizarre

22 hours ago, southern cross said:

Facebook is a funny place

Especially when someone posts about a tragedy somewhere in the world and people hit the like button.

I'm thinking are they hitting the like button because they appreciate the post informing them of the disaster.

Or they like the chaos that was posted

Or they hit the like button without even thinking what they like

Very bizarre

Seems that the obsession with likes is even more apparent in Israel

462D6010-744A-48F5-964E-8E42162B48FF.thumb.jpeg.d71ab3fdadd43e3671697e09913f664f.jpeg    

The world is such a lonely place when you need to yearn for “likes” by total strangers on the internet. Represents desperation and insecurity. 

Who cares what the number is on a plastic case? I’ve been collecting 50 years, I’m way more impressed with a cool, old rare book than what the “number” says.

And, I can’t count on one hand who my real friends are and I’m way OK with it...

Because that other picture is cooler? Because your picture just comes off as bragging? Because hardly anyone cares about some made up grading scale and a number that means nothing? Most people care about the art itself and why would most people care about a small picture composed of even smaller pictures of comics in plastic cases? But as long as you like it who cares about anything else.

1 hour ago, catman76 said:

Because that other picture is cooler? Because your picture just comes off as bragging? Because hardly anyone cares about some made up grading scale and a number that means nothing? Most people care about the art itself and why would most people care about a small picture composed of even smaller pictures of comics in plastic cases? But as long as you like it who cares about anything else.

Yeah I understand @catman76, @Robot Man—  I wanted this thread to die.. everyone overlooks this statement -1E37337D-D5C9-457F-AAB0-F26C605663F4.jpeg.b626a907e994967c741b28718d8f320c.jpegI used those books as bad examples, made up... The guy I felt bad for left the group because of the posted fake ownership, googled copies w/ watermarks, and same copy posted cropped  (As did I )

I am talking about you posting some book of yours, and someone posting later...and getting way more compliments and recognition of your book?

“I have that, in better condition than yours. “0F59AB56-CB8C-497A-B7B7-A116B2798BE2.jpeg.fc2d7b9ceb6449efea7ee7d89414c633.jpeg3582A864-3F12-4584-9876-AF6A8C2065EE.jpeg.95dc55818f8529506b740e5c46636ddd.jpeg

AC27FB2B-2864-4342-B5F7-A7D3FA8CEEAE.jpeg.b84226406f5cde1a61b9dd6c66e6cd71.jpeg
Haha—here’s mine, it’s better!!

589A5198-1A65-4F12-9C28-A091F7C8E89E.jpeg.0c2bc2376bc8837f0b4145e14692c449.jpeg

Not my books, yours cropped & googled.. (Awesome books btw,👍)...however not recognized as yours anymore  I know easy to shrug off right?

How would you take that? (shrug)
-Well that’s What’s happening in some Facebook groups. :|

Edited by nepatkm
Add

Like I said shouldn’t have even started this topic, I don’t put my thoughts into good sentences,  Thanks for the responses though. (thumbsu

Edited by nepatkm