• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help for tier selection

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I have books published in the 90s and valued less than $200. I am struggling at choosing between Value or Modern (1975-Date) grading tiers. 

Looking through the details of the two tiers, Value is more expensive and takes longer, does it mean Value tier is more carefully and thoroughly done than Modern tier? If not, I am wondering why anyone would chose Value instead of Modern tier. So in my case, should I choose Value, assuming it provides a better service, or should I just go with Modern? Please help advise, thanks.

Edited by JohnnyX

8 hours ago, JonnySnyder said:

Modern tier is your best bet. Modern tier is for books values up to $200 per book and published after 1975. Value is for books valued up to $200 per book and published 1974 and earlier. 

Thanks Jonny, very clear :)

On 1/27/2020 at 12:20 PM, JonnySnyder said:

Modern tier is your best bet. Modern tier is for books valued up to $200 per book and published after 1975. Value is for books valued up to $200 per book and published 1974 and earlier. 

Yes, the 'what' is very clear. The 'why', however, eludes me.

Fantastic Four #153 (12/74) is a Value tier.

Fantastic Four #154 (1/75) is a Modern tier.

11 hours ago, Gaard said:

Yes, the 'what' is very clear. The 'why', however, eludes me.

Fantastic Four #153 (12/74) is a Value tier.

Fantastic Four #154 (1/75) is a Modern tier.

Is your question why they drew an seemingly arbitrary line at 1975?  I think it used to be 1980.  I'm not sure the real answer is available, but there did probably have to be a line somewhere that had something to with the type of paper and or sizes or something or publishing or whatever, and the line probably doesn't need to be exactly at 1975 but that's probably better than a random year like 1972 or 1976.

I guess my question is more in the vein of why are their tiers in the first place. If I try real hard, I can kinda sorta agree with cutoffs based on FMV, but, no matter how hard I squint, I can't figure out why there are cutoffs based on dates. Honestly, why the separation between Value and Modern? And I can't get behind any reasons about types of paper.