• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with Comic Production Flaw

12 posts in this topic

I started going through all my books the other day, and i have found something interesting that I wanted to ask about. I've got 2 books, Flash 165 & 222 which both have the same thing. From what i can gather they are sort of frankenstein books, technically they are married, but as it's part of the printing process I believe they are still blue label. From what I can gather they are put together from two or more scrap copies in the production process to fulfill orders. Each book has two sets of staples, one which acts as normal, and another that just pierces the interior pages and doesn't touch the cover. I know that there is a term for them but can't for the life of me remember, I'd like to look them up to learn more about them, does anyone know anything about them or what they are called?

Attached are some pictures of the 222. This isn't just my opinion btw, I messaged the guy who does the pressing on the books i send to CGC, and he was the one who told me that, as apparently he had pressed a few before but he couldn't remember what that specific type of thing was called. Any help is much appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

19 minutes ago, JeffJohn123 said:

I'm not asking anyone to verify it, just wondering if anyone has seen this sort of thing before.

Regarding this: "...From what i can gather they are sort of frankenstein books, technically they are married, but as it's part of the printing process I believe they are still blue label..."

I don't think it's Universal-eligible. I don't see this as a "production defect".

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Regarding this: "...From what i can gather they are sort of frankenstein books, technically they are married, but as it's part of the printing process I believe they are still blue label..."

I don't think it's Universal-eligible. I don't see this as a "production defect".

It doesn't particularly bother me, it's only 4.0-4.5 so never going to get it graded, just wanted to ask and see if anyone had ever seen anything similar, has to be others as I have this on two books in my collection bought from different people several years apart.

8 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It is.

11 hours ago, JeffJohn123 said:

I know that there is a term for them but can't for the life of me remember, I'd like to look them up to learn more about them, does anyone know anything about them or what they are called?

It has no special name (at least not that I've ever heard or seen).

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
11 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It is.

14 hours ago, JeffJohn123 said:

I know that there is a term for them but can't for the life of me remember, I'd like to look them up to learn more about them, does anyone know anything about them or what they are called?

It has no special name (at least not that I've ever heard or seen).

It's very common, and doesn't affect the grade. It's what happens when a copy misses the cover in the process, so they feed it through the binding section again and add a cover.