• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a second printing with a 1st appearance still a first appearance?

88 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

It's only saving grace was that it was shipped in the same month as the first printing. 

Was it really?Neat,didn't know that.

I always scoop up all these golds wh

en I see em cheap,love em

4 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

This is not hard.  Not sure why there is any confusion at all.

To use your example, NM 87 is the story featuring the first appearance of the character.  That info is denoted by the phrase "first appearance."

But, this copy of NM 87 is a reprint.  That is denoted by the phrase "Second Printing." 

So this NM 87 is clearly denoted as a reprint of the first appearance.

Indeed.

But maybe having "First appearance" and "Second printing" on the same label might confuse some in a mutually exclusive kind of way. Not me of course though. I'm very intelligent and everything like that :insane:

40 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed.

But maybe having "First appearance" and "Second printing" on the same label might confuse some in a mutually exclusive kind of way. Not me of course though. I'm very intelligent and everything like that :insane:

Why?  They refer to two different concepts.  I think anyone buying a slabbed comic book is sophisticated enough to understand what a second printing is.  

21 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Why?  They refer to two different concepts.  I think anyone buying a slabbed comic book is sophisticated enough to understand what a second printing is.  

@Blastaar? You there? Duck thinks you're stupid.

1 hour ago, wilbil said:

That is interesting. I wonder why it is not the same as book publishing.

Actually, I think it is the same. 

The novel Gone with the Wind is the fist appearance of Rhett, Scarlet, Wilkes, Mammy and all the other characters associated with that story.  That’s true whether it’s the first printing or the one hundredth printing  

The first printing of the first edition is the first appearance of the novel itself, which includes the first appearance of all those characters.