• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a second printing with a 1st appearance still a first appearance?

88 posts in this topic

No... absolutely not. 

I feel as those supporting the "yes it is" answer are those hoarding 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th printings  of the 1st Spider Gwen or something. 

So lets take a book that goes five printings like Edge of the Spider-verse 2...

By the time the 5th printing came out of her first appearance her second appearance (and I think third) had already been published.  So no, there are modern collectors that seek things out like 5th printings due to limited distribution but a 2nd print of a 1st appearance is not a 1st appearance.

• "But, Buzzetta, what about the Action 1 reprints?"

• "Well little Johnny let me explain that... Unless you are the son of a Lebanese Prime Minister and heir to a billion dollar construction company, you cannot afford an Action 1.  That is why the demand rises for Action reprints.  Now let's look at those reprints.  Try and tell me that the Action one reprint of ads and all that was published a few years ago is the first appearance of Superman."

It's not... it was $10. It is still worth about $10.  If you believe it should be held to any level even near the first printing of Action 1 then I will let you know that I have a couple and we should talk some trades. 

Edited by Buzzetta

37 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

No... absolutely not. 

I feel as those supporting the "yes it is" answer are those hoarding 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th printings  of the 1st Spider Gwen or something. 

So lets take a book that goes five printings like Edge of the Spider-verse 2...

I was one of the ones who answered “yes” and I can assure you I’m NOT hoarding reprints of the 1st Spider-Gwen, Superman, or anyone else. 

I answered “yes”, not because I’m trying to manipulate some kind of financial gain, but because I focused on the context of STORY

You answered “no” because you focused on the context of PUBLICATION.  (And in that context, I don’t disagree with anything you said)

If you want to read the STORY of the first appearance of Spider-Gwen, Superman or anyone else, that can just as effectively be done in the 5th printing as the 1st. 

But when you start talking about VALUE...which a good portion of you comments seemed to focus on...then the context of PUBLICATION comes much more heavily into play. 

I have the Quick reprint of Action Comics #1 (not a hoard of them, just one copy). In terms of STORY, it contains the the 1st appearance of Superman (why else would they bother to reprint it). But I have absolutely no delusions about the value of the book as  in terms of PUBLICATION it in no way, shape or form be considered the first appearance of Superman. 

The reason my answer focused on the context of STORY is because of the OP’s puzzlement over the 1st appearance notation on the later printing of New Mutants. 

I think there’s this assumption that CGC only makes note of something that would affect the value of the comic. But it’s seems clear to me they’re making notations based on what may be significant in terms of STORY, the market can decide whether those noted elements are deemed more valuable or not. 

3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I was one of the ones who answered “yes” and I can assure you I’m NOT hoarding reprints of the 1st Spider-Gwen, Superman, or anyone else. 

I answered “yes”, not because I’m trying to manipulate some kind of financial gain, but because I focused on the context of STORY

You answered “no” because you focused on the context of PUBLICATION.  (And in that context, I don’t disagree with anything you said)

If you want to read the STORY of the first appearance of Spider-Gwen, Superman or anyone else, that can just as effectively be done in the 5th printing as the 1st. 

But when you start talking about VALUE...which a good portion of you comments seemed to focus on...then the context of PUBLICATION comes much more heavily into play. 

I have the Quick reprint of Action Comics #1 (not a hoard of them, just one copy). In terms of STORY, it contains the the 1st appearance of Superman (why else would they bother to reprint it). But I have absolutely no delusions about the value of the book as  in terms of PUBLICATION it in no way, shape or form be considered the first appearance of Superman. 

The reason my answer focused on the context of STORY is because of the OP’s puzzlement over the 1st appearance notation on the later printing of New Mutants. 

I think there’s this assumption that CGC only makes note of something that would affect the value of the comic. But it’s seems clear to me they’re making notations based on what may be significant in terms of STORY, the market can decide whether those noted elements are deemed more valuable or not. 

Even storywise to me it is not a 1st appearance given the many other appearances that occur between the actual first appearance and the subsequent printing.  To each their own though.  If I want a first appearance I go after the first printing. 

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's a little ironic this thread and the current TMNT#1 first, second and third print craze.  :x

Was thinking the same thing 

1 minute ago, Krismusic said:

Was thinking the same thing 

I'll admit I'm glad that it popped up, no I didn't buy tmnt #1 in any printing, but I did buy TMNT #2 second print :) 

Nice to know a consensus  

I have a Batman #1 new 52 first printing; but to answer the OP it’s not the same book as obviously they have changed the cover artwork whether it’s a different colour, different sizes, etc... it’s different. So in those cases I don’t see the 2nd printing as the same book because they changed the cover art or changed something to denote it’s not the same book...just my thought on it since I had the same thing with my batman new 52 where background is red in the 2nd print and grey in the first...

thought I would stir the pot lol 

Edited by Krismusic

The answer is yes, of course it is. TMNT #1 third printing is still a book featuring the first appearance of the Tutles. Ultimate Fallout 4 second printing is still Miles Morales' first appearance. Is it worth as much as a first printing, well that's another question. But it is still a first appearance.

And it's fun to note the second or third printings that change the cover to make it be the panel that introduces that first appearance character, since those are worth even more. Like Venom 3 third print and amazing spider man 569 2nd print.

Edited by William-James88

I can't come up with a conclusive answer. I'm not sure it really matters. 

Bilbo Baggins first appeared in the Hobbit some seventy five years ago. If a kid picks up the 2019 edition of The Hobbit, is he not reading the story Bilbo first appeared in?

A book that reprints Spiderman 129 is reprinting the first appearance of The Punisher. Why would it matter if he appeared in 7,453 other books between publishing dates.

The question should be do reprints of first appearances hold the same cache or value as the original and the answer is almost always no.

On 1/28/2020 at 1:22 PM, valiantman said:

What if we're talking about something like the first professional game played by an athlete?  If it's live, then it's the first appearance, but if you see it later, it's not the first appearance (because that already happened)! It doesn't matter if you record the game, it isn't live anymore.

Even better --- what about the "ball drop" for New Year's that is played in the Central, Mountain, and Pacific time zones at midnight, but the ball dropped in New York City hour(s) earlier.  Does it count as "seeing the ball drop" or seeing a replay/re-run of the ball drop?

Even better worse --- what if you live in New York City and you watch the ball drop on TV, but you record it and watch it again at 12:10am, is that closer to "the real thing" than someone who watches (50 minutes later) at exactly midnight in Central time?

Isn’t the first appearance of the new years eve ball drop the first time it happened ever? All those scenarios don’t count you mentioned since it’s not the first one ever:banana:

30 minutes ago, oldbsturgeon said:

Isn’t the first appearance of the new years eve ball drop the first time it happened ever? All those scenarios don’t count you mentioned since it’s not the first one ever:banana:

By that logic, there is no such thing as a comic with the first appearance of Harley Quinn since her first appearance was on a TV show. That time she appearaed in a comic is just a later appearance of the character.

Anyways, I see people here are confusing second printing with reprints. It's not at all the same thing. A second print is just an extension of the original print run of the comic. A reprint happens much later. That's why CGC does differentiate the two. That Action 1 reprint is not a "second print".

Edited by William-James88

46 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

By that logic, there is no such thing as a comic with the first appearance of Harley Quinn since her first appearance was on a TV show. That time she appearaed in a comic is just a later appearance of the character.

Correct. Harley has a first appearance in comics and a first appearance in the DCU, but no comic book contains her first appearance.

46 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Anyways, I see people here are confusing second printing with reprints. It's not at all the same thing. A second print is just an extension of the original print run of the comic. A reprint happens much later. That's why CGC does differentiate the two. That Action 1 reprint is not a "second print".

No. Second (and other later) printings are a special type of reprint that are done shortly after the original, usually due to unforeseen demand. If they were any part of the original print run, they wouldn't be a later printing.