• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a second printing with a 1st appearance still a first appearance?

88 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

It's only saving grace was that it was shipped in the same month as the first printing. 

New Mutants 87 2nd printing?

I can't think of any book prior to 2010 where the second printing was shipped in the same month as the first.

hm

Maybe Cap #25?

There wasn't an ordering mechanism in place that could have accommodated such a fast turnaround, except where the publisher made a "second print" before the first print sold out.

Now, of course, with 3 week FOCs cutoffs, it's a lot easier...and several publishers have manipulated the market by printing "second printing variants" two minutes after the first...but prior to 2010, I can't think of an example where that would have been true.

Am I missing any?

36 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

BF746168-1215-4867-BD04-2D492ED618D1.gif.ddbbb424c170942dfd8eb8843cc565ad.gif

...but I know what a first appearance is, and a reprint is not a first appearance. 

It depends on whether you place more value on the content or the delivery/timing.

I can see it both ways, but obviously the first time the story is presented is more important.

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I can't think of any book prior to 2010 where the second printing was shipped in the same month as the first.

hm

Maybe Cap #25?

Did the second printing come out that fast? Reorders from the warehouses full of extra (first printing) copies certainly went out quickly.

39 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

PS. For those keeping score at home, New Mutants #87 was reprinted in between New Mutants #100 and X-Force #1...over a year after the first print.

Then why do they both show a date of 3/90?

5 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

2140EE2D-5CB0-4978-BE0A-F07892141512.jpeg.1b53eeff2bdbe8b8e2cc90f8ebee7d07.jpeg

That's not a second printing of New Mutants #98. It's a reprint.

All second (and third and fourth and...) are reprints. Not all reprints are second (or third, or fourth, or...) printings.

This is Marvel Tales #106...a reprint of ASM #129, not a second printing of ASM #129:

s-l1600.jpg

This is a second printing of Amazing Spiderman #101:

s-l1600.jpg

16 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

My gut tells me no. Firstly, because I like to disagree with CaprisunAges and secondly because a second printing, well...it came later than the first. It reprints the book that had the first story appearance. So to call it the first appearance just doesn't feel right. "Reprints the first appearance of Cable" might be a better CGC label wording.

Then again, some of the most highly prized books in comicdom have 'second printing' Octobery Novembery scenarios that people sort of ignore don't they.... hm

I'll be interested to see where this one goes actually. 

It's the same content, though. A reprint of a first appearances is just that - a reprint of a first appearance. A first print of a first appearance is another thing, dingus!

14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This is the first appearance of Sue Ellen, Bobby, and JR Ewing. But that first appearance first appeared in April, 1978.

Is it still their first appearance..?

hm

(yes.)

Not disagreeing with the overall point, but TV shows are not an adequate analogy to comic reprints.  They are not reprinting a TV episode when they re-run it, but simply making it available to you to re-watch.  It's the same as you pulling a comic book out of your library and re-reading it.  It is the same book / episode, regardless of how many times it is viewed.  The closest thing to a reprint with a TV episode might be if a later episode incorporates the old scene into their story (as in a flashback)... that might be said to be a "reprint" of the 1st appearance.  (nitpicking I know, but I have to employ that old, otherwise useless, film degree for something!).

3 hours ago, Bookery said:

Not disagreeing with the overall point, but TV shows are not an adequate analogy to comic reprints.  They are not reprinting a TV episode when they re-run it, but simply making it available to you to re-watch.  It's the same as you pulling a comic book out of your library and re-reading it.  It is the same book / episode, regardless of how many times it is viewed.  The closest thing to a reprint with a TV episode might be if a later episode incorporates the old scene into their story (as in a flashback)... that might be said to be a "reprint" of the 1st appearance.  (nitpicking I know, but I have to employ that old, otherwise useless, film degree for something!).

It's not a perfect analogy, but it is adequate.  When you watch a re-run, they "package it" with updated commercials and it is being seen at a later date, even though the content is identical to the first airing.

If you record the first airing of a TV episode and re-watch it, that's the same as pulling the comic book out of your library and re-reading it.

If you missed the first airing of a TV episode but you catch a later airing (re-run) with updated commercials and whatever on a different date, that's the same as seeing a "reprint" of the TV episode, not the original.

Edited by valiantman

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

It's not a perfect analogy, but it is adequate.  When you watch a re-run, they "package it" with updated commercials and it is being seen at a later date, even though the content is identical to the first airing.

If you record the first airing of a TV episode and re-watch it, that's the same as pulling the comic book out of your library and re-reading it.

If you missed the first airing of a TV episode but you catch a later airing (re-run) with updated commercials and whatever on a different date, that's the same as seeing a "reprint" of the TV episode, not the original.

Oh yeah!  Well then... (let me think here)...

Ah!  Okay...

What if the original episode is an HBO show and there are NO commercials!  Ha!

What if you read your old comic book and the centerfold falls out, or you spill coffee on a panel?  Is it altered and no longer a 1st printing?

(Okay... I really don't care... I'm just stalling because my eyes are tired of grading and pricing comics...)   (shrug)

24 minutes ago, Bookery said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Ah!  Okay...

What if you read your old comic book and the centerfold falls out, or you spill coffee on a panel?  Is it altered and no longer a 1st printing?

(Okay... I really don't care... I'm just stalling because my eyes are tired of grading and pricing comics...)   (shrug)

What if we're talking about something like the first professional game played by an athlete?  If it's live, then it's the first appearance, but if you see it later, it's not the first appearance (because that already happened)! It doesn't matter if you record the game, it isn't live anymore.

Even better --- what about the "ball drop" for New Year's that is played in the Central, Mountain, and Pacific time zones at midnight, but the ball dropped in New York City hour(s) earlier.  Does it count as "seeing the ball drop" or seeing a replay/re-run of the ball drop?

Even better worse --- what if you live in New York City and you watch the ball drop on TV, but you record it and watch it again at 12:10am, is that closer to "the real thing" than someone who watches (50 minutes later) at exactly midnight in Central time?

51 minutes ago, valiantman said:
   1 hour ago, Bookery said:
   2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Ah!  Okay...

(Okay... I really don't care... I'm just stalling because my eyes are tired of grading and pricing comics...)   

What if we're talking about something like the first professional game played by an athlete?  If it's live, then it's the first appearance, but if you see it later, it's not the first appearance (because that already happened)! It doesn't matter if you record the game, it isn't live anymore.

Even better --- what about the "ball drop" for New Year's that is played in the Central, Mountain, and Pacific time zones at midnight, but the ball dropped in New York City hour(s) earlier.  Does it count as "seeing the ball drop" or seeing a replay/re-run of the ball drop?

Even better worse --- what if you live in New York City and you watch the ball drop on TV, but you record it and watch it again at 12:10am, is that closer to "the real thing" than someone who watches (50 minutes later) at exactly midnight in Central time?

Okay... now my eyes AND my head hurt!  :pullhair:

bc9e0ffd4fdc70b1e6b3d72a629d8338--x-men-cable-marvel-art.jpg.48723898700ff5f7092db9f38c09acbf.jpg

bc9e0ffd4fdc70b1e6b3d72a629d8338--x-men-cable-marvel-art.jpg.90a9fb45e3d2ac354e9bbcc0a764dca8.jpg

Which Cable appeared to you first? The top one or the bottom one?

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

bc9e0ffd4fdc70b1e6b3d72a629d8338--x-men-cable-marvel-art.jpg.48723898700ff5f7092db9f38c09acbf.jpg

Different question.

I never purchased or read any of these comics because, frankly, this character just looks stoopid to me.

Did these characters during this era EVER pull anything out of a any of those pouches?