• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When buying comics at a convention...
2 2

171 posts in this topic

Just now, blazingbob said:

I am not assuming that they are overpriced.  I'm trying to understand how they priced it.  When somebody is typing on their phone for GPA I'm in my database looking up when I bought it,  when I priced it,  how long I've had it and if the deal it was in is profitable or not.  I've sold a $1200 list price for $750 when the buyer asked me.  Does it happen all the time no,  but he got the book at his price because he "ASKED".  

Well, that's certainly fair, and I'd definitely trust your experience/opinion on the matter. I guess one of my pet peeves is folks who seem entitled to getting what they want, and I don't ever want to come across that way. I suppose a lot of the trick is in the way one asks. 

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

Before I go to a show, if I'm looking for a specific book(s), I'll do a little research on GPA and eBay and get an idea of the general range that a book might sell for in a given condition. I think it's good to be informed. But I'd never, ever bring up other sales to a dealer as a means of haggling. Just seems rude. It's their book, they can charge whatever they want to charge, and I assume they have their reasons for asking what they're asking. If I like the book at their price, I'll buy it. If I don't, I won't. If I feel like what I want to pay is within a reasonable distance of what they're asking, I may ask if they'd consider meeting me halfway. But I certainly wouldn't make a scene of pointing out to them that they're overcharging, complete with GPA/eBay sales data. Seems tacky. I dunno, maybe it's not a big deal, but the very idea makes me wince. 

Agreed, I basically do the same as you.

I'll never understand the people that really argue prices with dealers like that, you're not going to change their minds on what they'll take for the book acting that way

If people were better prepared/realistic with negotiations, dealers at shows might be more willing to work on prices & not be be so frustrated over folks haggling(I feel like that happens to a lot of them, least from what I've seen) 

Just now, Deadpoolica said:

Agreed, I basically do the same as you.

I'll never understand the people that really argue prices with dealers like that, you're not going to change their minds on what they'll take for the book acting that way

If people were better prepared/realistic with negotiations, dealers at shows might be more willing to work on prices & not be be so frustrated over folks haggling(I feel like that happens to a lot of them, least from what I've seen) 

There is a difference between arguing and discussing.  

The Us versus them mentality comes out when the customer does this

Asks what is the best you can do.

Wants below market price (10%)

Wants to pay by credit card (1-4%)

Doesn't want to pay sales tax when paying by cc (6-10%)

Lets see when I get to the net I'm 20% off market

8 minutes ago, XXpiggyXX said:

You also mentioned taxes, if the rate's 10% then $13 plus $6 doesn't seem like a "rip off" at all.

I mentioned taxes as in state taxes that some have to pay when buying online....you shouldn't be paying $20 shipping, if it's only costing $13 for them to ship

44 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Try telling that to the customer that he is a dinosaur with one in his hand as he is checking your prices against it.

As a GA buyer, when I see a dealer using an Overstreet guide to price his books in real time I pump my fist and toss my money at him as fast as I can get it out of my pocket. 

3 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

There is a difference between arguing and discussing.  

The Us versus them mentality comes out when the customer does this

Asks what is the best you can do.

Wants below market price (10%)

Wants to pay by credit card (1-4%)

Doesn't want to pay sales tax when paying by cc (6-10%)

Lets see when I get to the net I'm 20% off market

Completely get that, I really think people have forgotten(or never learned) how to have a normal discussion with anyone these days :preach:

When will people learn that Cash is King? Never understand people not bringing cash to conventions

5 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

Completely get that, I really think people have forgotten(or never learned) how to have a normal discussion with anyone these days :preach:

When will people learn that Cash is King? Never understand people not bringing cash to conventions

Cash = mad sells, amirite? 

1 minute ago, Ryan. said:
7 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

Cash = mad sells, amirite? 

I always bring cash, some years I've broke even, last year I ate crow.....

This thread starts every year, I read, hoping to gleam the mistakes I'm making as if it's all my fault lol 

Most dealers at the con, from what I notice, will have raws priced at what a slab in the grade they have marked will go for.....

CGC 7.5 $80? then the raw marked at 7.5 is $80

I don't know how to negotiate that :shy: 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

This thread starts every year, I read, hoping to gleam the mistakes I'm making as if it's all my fault lol 

Most dealers at the con, from what I notice, will have raws priced at what a slab in the grade they have marked will go for.....

My understanding is that it is all your fault. This whole thread. 

22 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I wouldn't say this is a blanket statement, because plenty of dealers have more than fair prices at shows.

I agree. But when people come to the forums complaining about dealers being overpriced, Bob asks them what they mean by “overpriced”. I was giving him specific examples from a show two days ago. 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You can't negotiate that :baiting:

I see it all the time too, I just walk away...I use to go to every convention I could find but, with how they were pricing things I just stopped going....I go to 1-2 shows a year now max

4 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I agree. But when people come to the forums complaining about dealers being overpriced, Bob asks them what they mean by “overpriced”. I was giving him specific examples from a show two days ago. 

I appreciate the examples and was just giving my dealer guess on why he might be pricing the way he does.

Besides the Us versus them mentality is the "Nobody wants to leave any money on the table" mindset that is out there.  And that is from both sides of the table.

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not ashamed to say that I'm one of those dealers, at least with relatively inexpensive books, such as the example quoted above. I strongly believe the raw vs graded price discrepancies should be reserved for high grade copies and expensive books, say four figure and higher. I really don't see why a slab should fetch significantly more than it's raw counterpart in such a grade and price point. 

8 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

My understanding is that it is all your fault. This whole thread. 

I'm cool with that lol

4 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

You can't negotiate that :baiting:

I see it all the time too, I just walk away...I use to go to every convention I could find but, with how they were pricing things I just stopped going....I go to 1-2 shows a year now max

The thing is I didn't negotiate and just bought it, I bought 1 raw because I wanted to test his grading.....

It was an ASM #59 marked 7.5 for $80

It looked 9.2 from what I could see, but as he is a local dealer from whom I've since bought other raws, ice learned he grades strict to cover any mistakes. Ex. A soft 9.4/9.2 he'll put at 9.0... etc

He's setting up again this year, but I sent the #59 off to be graded value tier and it won't be back before the next con I see him at so :(

that's what I get for being cheap lol

5 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I'm not ashamed to say that I'm one of those dealers, at least with relatively inexpensive books, such as the example quoted above. I strongly believe the raw vs graded price discrepancies should be reserved for high grade copies and expensive books, say four figure and higher. I really don't see why a slab should fetch significantly more than it's raw counterpart in such a grade and price point. 

I agree to a point, since any 3rd party can grade it, including dealer and buyer, but cause there always is one lol

It costs sometimes a fair sum to have cgc do it, imo, I tend to spend more at a dealer who is aware, but how much of a price break is indeterminablr especially depending on dealer and value of said grade. To each his own, but some dealers deal more in cgc currency and have ebbed prices....

It's differentfor everyone I get that (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM