• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When buying comics at a convention...
2 2

171 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, manetteska said:

Yep. The whole thing is also unorganized. Each year it lures me in bc other booths have a similar setup but the books are all $1-$3 so you think this is the same. And there are good books in there, just you have to do all the work and then get hammered for fmv graded prices. 

I don't bother with them anymore because it's just not worth it.   I can just buy them slabbed at their prices.

58 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

Exactly! The slab itself adds value

Unless the buyer actually isn’t looking to get it graded and considers a NM to be a NM regardless of if it’s a 9.2 or a 9.8. Those are the exact buyers that would be in the market for a raw 9.2. If there’s 2 copies on eBay, a good looking raw 9.2 from a seller with tons of positive feedback for $70, and an equally good looking slabbed 9.2 from an equally reputable seller for $100, I bet the $70 copy sells to this buyer. That’s the kind of buyer I am. Might even pay $80 for it because to me that’s still a savings of $20, plus probably saving on shipping, plus removing the hassle of deplaning it to fit it in my box. It’s important to remember that most collectors are still collecting raw comics.

Edited by dupont2005

3 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

$10-13 is reasonable shipping price for a slab...anyone that has $20 for shipping is just making money off shipping

That included tax. 8% tax on $73 ($60 + $13) is around $6. That's pretty close to $80.

2 minutes ago, RCheli said:
3 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

$10-13 is reasonable shipping price for a slab...anyone that has $20 for shipping is just making money off shipping

That included tax. 8% tax on $73 ($60 + $13) is around $6. That's pretty close to $80.

This could go on and on, but selling on eBay even at $60 + 13 shipping + 6

The seller will only net $52... compared to $80...

So it's all grey gray area :roflmao:

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

It should make a difference to you. Leave out the potential grading discrepancy that what you grade a 9.0 might come back from CGC as an 8/8.5. This is of course a potential problem but I'm going to ignore this just to make the argument simpler. Take a bronze book that sells for $100 in CGC 9.2, let's say ASM 103 for example. You charge $100 for it slabbed and you charge $100 for it raw as a 9.2. You are ignoring that the slab itself costs money. As a buyer, if I bought your raw 9.2 and then wanted to get it slabbed, I would have to pay around $30 to get it graded. But I can buy it already graded for $100. Why in the world would I pay an extra $30 for your raw copy just to have to do the work myself, and take the risk of a lower grade to boot? You can look at it as the book itself is only worth $70 and the slab literally adds $30 in value.

Simple. Because there's a market for raw copies, as in there's an entire segment of the collector base that dislikes encapsulated books. Plus they don't need a 3rd party to grade for them if they have half a clue how to grade. And once again, people pay more for raw in person than they would for the same book online and only applies to certain books. It's a combination of experience and instinct where and when I apply this approach to raw books.

Remember, we're talking about buying at conventions (in person), and not online. Encapsulated copies will almost always fetch more online than a raw copy. That's one of the main purposes of graded comics: to remove doubt and uncertainty from online transactions.

However, I remember a time when certain raw keys were fetching more on Ebay than their CGC counterpart. Some people just wanted a raw copy and were willing to pay more for them!

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

6 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Simple. Because there's a market for raw copies, as in there's an entire segment of the collector base that dislikes encapsulated books. Plus they don't need a 3rd party to grade for them if they have half a clue how to grade. And once again, people pay more for raw in person than they would for the same book online and only applies to certain books. It's a combination of experience and instinct where and when I apply this approach to raw books.

Remember, we're talking about buying at conventions (in person), and not online. Encapsulated copies will almost always fetch more online. That's one of the main purposes of graded comics: to remove doubt and uncertainty from online transactions.

However, I remember a time when certain raw keys were fetching more on Ebay than their CGC counterpart. Some people just wanted a raw copy and were willing to pay more for them!

"Encapsulated copies will almost always fetch more online"

Huh?  I would not agree with this statement.  I will pretty much get the same price whether I'm at a show or the book is bought online.  

2 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

"Encapsulated copies will almost always fetch more online"

Huh?  I would not agree with this statement.  I will pretty much get the same price whether I'm at a show or the book is bought online.  

More than a raw copy in the same grade sold online. I'm not saying that graded copies sell for more online than at a show.

Corrected. Thanks!

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

23 hours ago, NoMan said:

When I was a child I fell on a wheelbarrow and smashed my head bad. I got home from the hospital the next day and was then immediately hit in the head with a golf club. I believe this is the cause of me not really caring the costs of things I want

Well, whatever caused it, I like your style, dude...

2 hours ago, blazingbob said:

AS #103 guides for $110 which means I would price it at $120/discount to a $100.  

If you are paying $100 for a CGC 9.2 you are buying it for less then guide.  

I tell a lot of customers that a majority of those books in slabs started out with raw pricing. 

Lastly when you are grading books you really should be figuring out if CGC is MAKING YOU MONEY or COSTING YOU MONEY.

Price out the submission at your prices with discounting,  when the books come back graded price them again.

Is the invoice PLUS OR MINUS when factoring in grading costs? 

If you are consistently getting NEGATIVE results CGC isn't adding any value at all.  

If your grades are consistently lower then CGC's maybe you need a grading check.  Or GLASSES

@Guardian Comics

83138671_134069764320154_2574945203051823104_n.jpg

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Except apparently in the state of Florida @MGsimba77:whatthe:

Cgc you wascally wabbit! :sumo:

Yeah we're lucky charms down here:angel: :bigsmile: no online tax except on Heritage and Pedigree 

...for the time being. Me thinks our status will last about as long as a pack of ice cubes in the Sahara :makepoint:

Too many politicians seeing dollar signs.

Although shipping to Sarasota is always fast!

On 1/27/2020 at 5:08 PM, Deadpoolica said:

As far as what you said about GPA, they shouldn't add those additional costs into their pricing. The book is selling for $100, shipping, eBay fees, paypal fees, tax...none of that is the cost of the book

They wouldn't be able to keep track of sales tax paid anyway since of course every state is different.

It would be most helpful however if somehow GPA could keep track of total cost instead of omitting tax & ship. What someone is actually paying for the book is more informative to both buyers and sellers than just the asking or best offer accepted 2c

To @RChelis question, eye appeal might be considered in that decision by some. You almost never have a choice between 2 books before late copper age that are identically the same. Some people have massive enough OCD to compell them to pay premiums for certain eye appeal qualities they prefer. 

Edited by MGsimba77

4 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Now the other thing I caution is if you as a buyer do make an substantial offer less then the sticker and the dealer accepts it you better not come back with "I'll think about it".  I had a customer do that on a Superman #14 and believe me I wasn't happy with that response.  

I was pretty proud of how well you handled it....I was certainly expecting a lot worse. 

@Deadpoolica how can you say taxes and shipping don't count towards what the cost of the book is?

1. Book is $100 shipping is $10 and taxes are 10% = $121

2. Book is $110, free shipping taxes are 10% = $121

3. Book is $121, local pick up in a tax free state = $121

4. Book is $10, shipping is $100, taxes are 10% = $121 (you can't tell me the book is only $10 if it cost you $121 to get it).

Each time the buyer paid $121.  The cost of the book is $121.

8 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

@Deadpoolica how can you say taxes and shipping don't count towards what the cost of the book is?

1. Book is $100 shipping is $10 and taxes are 10% = $121

2. Book is $110, free shipping taxes are 10% = $121

3. Book is $121, local pick up in a tax free state = $121

4. Book is $10, shipping is $100, taxes are 10% = $121 (you can't tell me the book is only $10 if it cost you $121 to get it).

Each time the buyer paid $121.  The cost of the book is $121.

Taxes & shipping are not the value of something

Shipping does count towards the cost of the book BUT, it doesn't add value to the book 

Same with taxes...if you go into your LCS do you look at a $4 back issue & think its $4 or do you add tax in your head and say its $4.24?