• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When buying comics at a convention...
2 2

171 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

Taxes & shipping are not the value of something

Shipping does count towards the cost of the book BUT, it doesn't add value to the book 

Same with taxes...if you go into your LCS do you look at a $4 back issue & think its $4 or do you add tax in your head and say its $4.24?

Of course they don't add value, don't move the goalposts. 

It doesn't change the fact that IT IS a cost to the book.  Everyone wants more information.  Just like on GPA would you not feel more informed if that book you were looking at was selling (all in at $121 and the con dealer has a copy available for $120) or GPA showing it's selling at $100 and all of a sudden that dirty dealer is asking 20% more than GPA :o?

I guess the cost of owning a car is just the cost of the car, not the fuel, insurance, maintenance, repairs. :foryou: 

4 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

Taxes & shipping are not the value of something

Shipping does count towards the cost of the book BUT, it doesn't add value to the book 

Same with taxes...if you go into your LCS do you look at a $4 back issue & think its $4 or do you add tax in your head and say its $4.24?

I use Excel and paper copies of my cost, and I always include the shipping and or sales tax...

The problem with cons is there are so many unknowns, I've had dealers charge tax with a cc and on me using cash....

Negotiate? Yes or no?

Slabbed or raw? Yes or no 

It is endless lol @Ryan. hence why I tune into this thread every year, hoping to buy some magic beans, it's all my fault! :sorry:lol

8 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

Of course not, but that's not what the discussion is about.

Same with taxes...if you go into your LCS do you look at a $4 back issue & think its $4

No.

or do you add tax in your head

Yes.

and say its $4.24?

I wish. :frown:

On 1/27/2020 at 5:08 PM, Deadpoolica said:

You won't like this but, my 2c

If you have a book for $60 on eBay & tax/shipping brings it to $80(which really that shouldn't ever be the case) fine, the buyer has to be ok with paying shipping cost

BUT, I'm not paying you $80 at a convention for it you don't have those additional shipping expenses(don't say booth fees, gas, employees...you do not have to be at the convention, you chose to come)

As far as what you said about GPA, they shouldn't add those additional costs into their pricing. The book is selling for $100, shipping, eBay fees, paypal fees, tax...none of that is the cost of the book.

AND yes, that person will buy that book for GPA somewhere for $100. The more likely scenario  from another dealer at the same show you're at 

This whole thing is ridiculous, for you as a seller to say that to a potential buyer is crazy. You're not making that sale regardless now or future sales to that customer, they will avoid you like the plague at any show they see you it 

I could really go on & on about this but, I'll stop rantrant

Your position is economically irrational. You'd rather pay $80 on ebay than $79 at a show? 

On 1/27/2020 at 5:08 PM, Deadpoolica said:

You won't like this but, my 2c

If you have a book for $60 on eBay & tax/shipping brings it to $80(which really that shouldn't ever be the case) fine, the buyer has to be ok with paying shipping cost

BUT, I'm not paying you $80 at a convention for it you don't have those additional shipping expenses(don't say booth fees, gas, employees...you do not have to be at the convention, you chose to come)

As far as what you said about GPA, they shouldn't add those additional costs into their pricing. The book is selling for $100, shipping, eBay fees, paypal fees, tax...none of that is the cost of the book.

AND yes, that person will buy that book for GPA somewhere for $100. The more likely scenario  from another dealer at the same show you're at 

This whole thing is ridiculous, for you as a seller to say that to a potential buyer is crazy. You're not making that sale regardless now or future sales to that customer, they will avoid you like the plague at any show they see you it 

I could really go on & on about this but, I'll stop rantrant

You were all very nice to ignore this but

22 hours ago, october said:

The last three or four shows I went to resulted in such sticker shock I literally stopped going. It's completely pointless.

At the final show, I played a game with a dealer's stock, a person known for being a "dealer's dealer" or at least a guy with reasonable prices. I evaluated the comic, mentally figured what I could SELL it for, then compared. His prices were triple what I felt was retail. 

Unless the show is in my back yard, it's not worth it. Amazing how much things have shifted in the last few years.

You're looking for better stuff. There are deals to be had on under $50 books. Of course, I haven't been to a show in 2.5 years, but I digress

1 hour ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Simple. Because there's a market for raw copies, as in there's an entire segment of the collector base that dislikes encapsulated books. Plus they don't need a 3rd party to grade for them if they have half a clue how to grade. And once again, people pay more for raw in person than they would for the same book online and only applies to certain books. It's a combination of experience and instinct where and when I apply this approach to raw books.

Remember, we're talking about buying at conventions (in person), and not online. Encapsulated copies will almost always fetch more online than a raw copy. That's one of the main purposes of graded comics: to remove doubt and uncertainty from online transactions.

However, I remember a time when certain raw keys were fetching more on Ebay than their CGC counterpart. Some people just wanted a raw copy and were willing to pay more for them!

Rarely, unless you have a raw seller where folks think they're tighter than cgc. Sure, there are exceptions. People get wrapped up in a dumb bidding war sometimes. I lost track of what the book was worth as a slab.

21 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Of course they don't add value, don't move the goalposts. 

It doesn't change the fact that IT IS a cost to the book.  Everyone wants more information.  Just like on GPA would you not feel more informed if that book you were looking at was selling (all in at $121 and the con dealer has a copy available for $120) or GPA showing it's selling at $100 and all of a sudden that dirty dealer is asking 20% more than GPA :o?

I guess the cost of owning a car is just the cost of the car, not the fuel, insurance, maintenance, repairs. :foryou: 

I agree, it is a cost to the book but, to me it's just for online. It shouldn't factor into in person transactions.

Let's just say a dealer looks at eBay sold for whatever book, It sold for $125 & $15 shipping...whats the justification for them putting it on the wall for $140? 

I guess I just look at online sales as I'm offering the book for $125 & that's what I'd ask in person but, since i need to ship it it's going to be an extra $15

4 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

I agree, it is a cost to the book but, to me it's just for online. It shouldn't factor into in person transactions.

Let's just say a dealer looks at eBay sold for whatever book, It sold for $125 & $15 shipping...whats the justification for them putting it on the wall for $140? 

I guess I just look at online sales as I'm offering the book for $125 & that's what I'd ask in person but, since i need to ship it it's going to be an extra $15

:tink:

giphy-3.gif

It's so largely a price difference to me....

If I'm at a con, research prices before hand, adjust sold prices for shipping and tax, go to con and spot "fmv" book as researched, then negotiate, agree on price, then wait and see if I'm charged tax on agreed price.....

Hopefully I get my beanstalk this year, I think it'll work out, but so much math, I'll have to add in the exponent of "fun, excitement, and the thrill of the hunt" :takeit:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, Deadpoolica said:

I suspect that for most dealers at shows, their overhead costs for doing a show are at least as large a percentage as the shippings costs would be if they sold the books online.  That $15 for shipping the online book goes towards covering the table fees and other expenses of doing a show. I don’t think a lot of dealers are making a killing doing shows - at least not the smaller shows I go to.

Ultimately though, it boils down to “what price will the book sell at?”  If the dealer is priced too high at the show, they won’t sell any books.  If the books are selling, then they obviously weren’t too high.  I look at most Wall books at shows and think they are overpriced.  However, the books seem to change from year to year, so they must be selling.  

Frankly, I’m thrilled to pay the same price ( including shipping ) at a show as I would online.  I get to inspect the book in person and don’t run the risk of having to deal with returning it when it shows up with an undisclosed surprise.  

13 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's so largely a price difference to me....

If I'm at a con, research prices before hand, adjust sold prices for shipping and tax, go to con and spot "fmv" book as researched, then negotiate, agree on price, then wait and see if I'm charged tax on agreed price.....

Hopefully I get my beanstalk this year, I think it'll work out, but so much math, I'll have to add in the exponent of "fun, excitement, and the thrill of the hunt" :takeit:

During your negotiation you should be asking if the dealer is charging you sales tax and if they can avoid it if you pay in cash (some will some won't).  Waiting to the end to be surprised by the end price doesn't seem wise especially if you are operating on a tight budget and the dealer is right there talking to you.

14 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

@Deadpoolica how can you say taxes and shipping don't count towards what the cost of the book is?

1. Book is $100 shipping is $10 and taxes are 10% = $121

2. Book is $110, free shipping taxes are 10% = $121

3. Book is $121, local pick up in a tax free state = $121

4. Book is $10, shipping is $100, taxes are 10% = $121 (you can't tell me the book is only $10 if it cost you $121 to get it).

Each time the buyer paid $121.  The cost of the book is $121.

dont forget duties through GSP if your Canadian... :(

15 hours ago, Hamlet said:

I suspect that for most dealers at shows, their overhead costs for doing a show are at least as large a percentage as the shippings costs would be if they sold the books online.  That $15 for shipping the online book goes towards covering the table fees and other expenses of doing a show. I don’t think a lot of dealers are making a killing doing shows - at least not the smaller shows I go to.

Ultimately though, it boils down to “what price will the book sell at?”  If the dealer is priced too high at the show, they won’t sell any books.  If the books are selling, then they obviously weren’t too high.  I look at most Wall books at shows and think they are overpriced.  However, the books seem to change from year to year, so they must be selling.  

Frankly, I’m thrilled to pay the same price ( including shipping ) at a show as I would online.  I get to inspect the book in person and don’t run the risk of having to deal with returning it when it shows up with an undisclosed surprise.  

$1500 for a 2 booth cost would = 100 separate shipments.  For 3 days I don't ship 100 packages.  

The costs for online sales are always cheaper then a 3 day show.

As far as not selling books at a show this goes back to my convention rants.

No customers to even negotiate with - Promoters fault

No customers with money - promoter might be charging too much to get in,  regional economics

Customers looking but not buying - My prices could be too high,  could be too many dealers in the room.  Sometimes my perception of what a customer thinks is high grade is higher then their perception.   

No big buyers - Either I don't have the price points on keys or I just don't have what they are looking for.  If you are at shows where the dwindling want list is in effect you have to wonder what new customers will step in to fill that void

Not enough dealers - You may have the best inventory/best priced but if the shows word of mouth is there aren't enough dealers to warrant customers coming then you might be the LAST man standing.  Might be good for you but Greg and I were the last man standing at Wizard Philly and I finally had to bail.  Which is why when posters bad mouth shows the more specific WHY they aren't coming is better then "There was nothing to buy".  If you are coming to most shows looking for hard to find books I can go a whole year without seeing certain types of material and I'm doing 15+ shows a year.

Edited by blazingbob

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

No big buyers - Either I don't have the price points on keys or I just don't have what they are looking for.  If you are at shows where the dwindling want list is in effect you have to wonder what new customers will step in to fill that void

This is what's been killing me at shows the past few years. I see a ton of nice books at shows still but, its either stuff I already have or ones I don't want....never stuff I "need" :frown:

1 minute ago, Deadpoolica said:

This is what's been killing me at shows the past few years. I see a ton of nice books at shows still but, its either stuff I already have or ones I don't want....never stuff I "need" :frown:

Problem I have are the customers that are asking for books I have at home.  My show schedule is a FULL year in advance.  Go to the website and ask me to bring the books you need to the show.  Problem solved.

Nope,  ask me when they see me and I then have to remind me I can't bring 35K books to the show.