• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about being scammed on Ebay

81 posts in this topic

So I bought a Flash 123 that was advertised as 7.0-7.5 but after receiving it it was detached at the bottom staple, barely attached at the top, and the spine looked terrible so I requested a return. The seller accepted the return and said she would refund me after she received it back... and after receiving it today opened a case with eBay saying it was cover less and not the book she sent me. Ebay says they'll decide in 48 hours but is there anything at this stage I can do? Or if eBay sides with her is there any appeal process? 

I knew it was below a 7.0 but it still looked solid mid grade to me but the almost detached cover was the deal breaker for me. 

Below is her message and pictures of the book...

Screenshot_20200127-180248.png

IMG_20200124_154025853.jpg

IMG_20200124_154003169.jpg

IMG_20200124_153116793.jpg

IMG_20200124_153953949.jpg

Just send ebay the pics and explain on the phone as you can see the cover was falling off its obvious the seller just pulled cover loose and is making up a story to get out of her responsibility.

Also possible she has another coverless copy and is using pics of that as a ringer-examine the pics carefully for differences.

18 minutes ago, kav said:

Just send ebay the pics and explain on the phone as you can see the cover was falling off its obvious the seller just pulled cover loose and is making up a story to get out of her responsibility.

I just got off the phone with them and they just told me to wait and let the process work. What a way to start the week.

6 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Were you aware that the book was trimmed? Everything about that auction sends off shady seller vibes. 

Yes the seller did put that the book had light trimming on the top cover (definitely was not light) which is why it fell in my price range. It was actually the fact she mentioned that it was trimmed med me think she was honest. 

1 minute ago, Steelrain41 said:

Yes the seller did put that the book had light trimming on the top cover (definitely was not light) which is why it fell in my price range. It was actually the fact she mentioned that it was trimmed med me think she was honest. 

That mention of it being trimmed is "hidden" in one line in the description among how FMV is $2K and all kinds of language that pumps the book while trying to absolve responsibility for accurate grading. Exactly what I would expect from a shady seller trying to prey on people not paying enough attention and/or not knowledgeable enough on grading and resto. 

Ebay will side with you. I know it's stressful but I'm pretty sure they will side with you just based on the fact that they try to protect buyers far more than sellers, with good reason in a case like this where a thief if trying to take your money. And this guy is nothing more than a thief. Also, I doubt it's a female. It's likely a guy hiding his identity by using a relative's name. 

9 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

99.9% chance you win this case

11 minutes ago, kav said:

dont fret you will be fine.

20 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

That mention of it being trimmed is "hidden" in one line in the description among how FMV is $2K and all kinds of language that pumps the book while trying to absolve responsibility for accurate grading. Exactly what I would expect from a shady seller trying to prey on people not paying enough attention and/or not knowledgeable enough on grading and resto. 

Ebay will side with you. I know it's stressful but I'm pretty sure they will side with you just based on the fact that they try to protect buyers far more than sellers, with good reason in a case like this where a thief if trying to take your money. And this guy is nothing more than a thief. Also, I doubt it's a female. It's likely a guy hiding his identity by using a relative's name. 

Thanks. I appreciate the help. 

1 minute ago, Iceman399 said:

Not sure which of you is lying but funnily enough they've posted their side of the story on FB.

image.thumb.png.5907812ad349b368721ea6b2ef14c3cb.png

No idea about her side but it still had the cover on when it shipped. I even put it in a new bag double boarded and it was intact. 

3 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

Not sure which of you is lying but funnily enough they've posted their side of the story on FB.

image.thumb.png.5907812ad349b368721ea6b2ef14c3cb.png

Any pics so we can compare first page in both book with and without cover?

If I had to pick which one is lying I'd have to go with the seller who claims she has a 'buyer' willing to pay twice as much.  That makes no sense.

6 minutes ago, kav said:

If I had to pick which one is lying I'd have to go with the seller who claims she has a 'buyer' willing to pay twice as much.  That makes no sense.

If I was going to steal a cover I'd have picked one  that wasn't trimmed lol

Edited by Steelrain41

4 minutes ago, Steelrain41 said:

If I was going to steal a cover I'd have picked one  that wasn't trimmed lol

Good point.  That would be utterly useless.  It wouldnt fit jack.

I think at this point over a certain dollar value, you might as well video tape yourself opening packages (and possibly wrapping them up and mailing them).  Its sooooo easy to do so at this point.