• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about being scammed on Ebay

81 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Drive by posting by the seller trying to save face but won't respond again... blah blah blah, seen this story before. And your evidence is as weak as your scam. Don't let the door hit'cha on the way out.

But doesn't (re)listing an item not in her possession prove what a great seller she is?

lol

:facepalm:

30 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Drive by posting by the seller trying to save face but won't respond again... blah blah blah, seen this story before. And your evidence is as weak as your scam. Don't let the door hit'cha on the way out.

Yep.  "I wont be answering any more questions" usually screams GUILTY.
If I had been scammed I'd be answering any and all questions like crazy and shouting from the rooftops.

Edited by kav

2 hours ago, kav said:

Yep.  "I wont be answering any more questions" usually screams GUILTY.
If I had been scammed I'd be answering any and all questions like crazy and shouting from the rooftops.

Yup-- this exactly.   I also agree with the comment that followed it-- would an honest seller relist a book that is on its way back to them?   Even if they needed the money and were hoping to make another sale?   With comics being as fragile as they are you'd be taking a big risk that the book shows up in perfect shape.

Beyond that, I agree 1000% that grading is subjective, but calling that book a 7.0-7.5 is downright ignorant of the grading system.   On a GOOD day it's a 5.5 maybe a 6.0-- but missing a grade by that much is hard to swallow.    Ditto the 26 feedback and the lack of any other items of substance.   Hell, even a 73 feedback would give me pause for buying a $700 book.

Stick with established board members here, or at the very least folks on eBay who have been around.   It's easy to drive up your feedback selling 25c baseball cards-- so always look and see what else they're selling.   If all the other items are cheap thrift store pass even if you might be getting a deal.

Also, I have never understood what the necessity is for a company to "require" a police report.  A report ony parrots what the complainant says (at least where I work) .  And in this case, what would the charge be? This is a civil matter, not criminal.  In this case, the seller is simply saying the item was returned in a worse condition then when it was sent. 

13 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

Also, I have never understood what the necessity is for a company to "require" a police report.  A report ony parrots what the complainant says (at least where I work) .  And in this case, what would the charge be? This is a civil matter, not criminal.  In this case, the seller is simply saying the item was returned in a worse condition then when it was sent. 

perhaps, then ebay becomes in a "legal situation" and then can use a different class on their statements to write it off.....

edit. to refund all involved and then write it off is my point :makepoint: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 hour ago, Spidey 62 said:

All I know is the first thing Judge Judy asks for is the police report.  It adds some kind of evidentiary value apparently.
Possibly it is similar to a sworn statement, with penalties for perjury.

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, Spidey 62 said:

eBay uses filing police reports as a means of weeding out potential scams. Scammers are much less likely to file a police report, which is then "on the record." eBay counts on that fact, and assumes...not always correctly, but usually...that someone willing to go to the police is probably telling the truth, at least as they see it.

Preponderance of the evidence is the standard in civil small claims cases. I won a case just because I was willing to go through the labor of giving the precise values of 3,000 quarter books. ;) That convinced the judge that I wasn't making it up. 

2 hours ago, kav said:

"If you tell the truth you dont have to have a good memory"
-Judge Judy

It still may be difficult for some to remember the truth, good memory or bad, if you're Judge Judy's age!  Then again, some people have great memories, and others don't at any age for any number of reasons. I've been out with friends who had a great time drinking themselves under the table and when I brought up last night, "You went right down, you almost banged your head on that rail", they've said, "I did what? I don't remember anything that happened from after dinner until I woke up in bed today. I don't even know how I wound up in bed". So whether you're trying to relate truth accurately or not, extraneous factors can be troublesome. 

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

It still may be difficult for some to remember the truth, good memory or bad, if you're Judge Judy's age!  Then again, some people have great memories, and others don't at any age for any number of reasons. I've been out with friends who had a great time drinking themselves under the table and when I brought up last night, "You went right down, you almost banged your head on that rail", they've said, "I did what? I don't remember anything that happened from after dinner until I woke up in bed today. I don't even know how I wound up in bed". So whether you're trying to relate truth accurately or not, extraneous factors can be troublesome. 

Judge Judy says if you cant remember say I dont remember.  

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Or plead the fifth dimension. 

Let the sunshine.......let the sunshine in........the suuuuuuun shine in-

4 hours ago, kav said:

All I know is the first thing Judge Judy asks for is the police report.  It adds some kind of evidentiary value apparently.
Possibly it is similar to a sworn statement, with penalties for perjury.

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

eBay uses filing police reports as a means of weeding out potential scams. Scammers are much less likely to file a police report, which is then "on the record." eBay counts on that fact, and assumes...not always correctly, but usually...that someone willing to go to the police is probably telling the truth, at least as they see it.

Preponderance of the evidence is the standard in civil small claims cases. I won a case just because I was willing to go through the labor of giving the precise values of 3,000 quarter books. ;) That convinced the judge that I wasn't making it up. 

Yes, there are penalties for filing false reports, but if I was sent to someone, who wanted a report, and they told me this story...I would say that it is a civil matter and a police report is not needed.  Some people just want something on paper that has some police department boilerplate.  There is a trend where people simply want to criminalize everything in order to get police involvement where it is neither needed or even required.  Sometimes the police are not the answer to every problem.

1 minute ago, Spidey 62 said:

Yes, there are penalties for filing false reports, but if I was sent to someone, who wanted a report, and they told me this story...I would say that it is a civil matter and a police report is not needed.  Some people just want something on paper that has some police department boilerplate.  There is a trend where people simply want to criminalize everything in order to get police involvement where it is neither needed or even required.  Sometimes the police are not the answer to every problem.

Oh, sure, I don't disagree. Just pointing out eBay's thinking on the matter. And eBay's thinking is seldom rational.