• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low grades on brand new comics

10 posts in this topic

So, I sent in a Spawn 300 and 301 to get signed by Todd McFarlane and both had never been read or out of their bags until I made the window bags for them.  I got pressing done on both because Todd isnt gentle, and I still got a 9.2 on the 300 and 9.6 on the 301.  What the Hell?!  Does this sound right to everyone?  They both looked immaculate when I sent them, and they were packaged extremely well.  So disappointed with my first cgc submission! Screenshot_20200127-192838_Chrome.thumb.jpg.87a4ae788950544830e952778809632c.jpg

Screenshot_20200127-192831_Chrome.jpg

Pretty sure Todd wasn’t the only one who handled your books, especially considering the volume that were sent so it’s unfortunately the chance you take if you’re not there to hand them to him personally.

"Immaculate" isn't really an applicable term for comic books.

Also, 9.6 and 9.2 are not "low grades", just to be clear.

Are there any press-able defects on them? The 9.2 must have a color-breaking crease on it or something to maintain NM- after being pressed (assuming it was actually pressed). And, as I write this, I read the grader notes.

Yes, both of these grades seem accurate.

seems accurate with the grade. The 9.2 has a colour breaking crease on back cover. Did you check that before submitting 

The fact that you think 'never read' or 'never out of the bag' means anything indicates you're not approaching it the right way.  The condition is the condition, independent of how many times you read it or taken it out of the bag.  It could have come off the printer with some defects, or gotten defects being handled and put into distribution boxes, jostled in shipping, or mishandled at the comic shop, all before it got bagged and boarded by you or the comic shop worker.  After that its stacked with other comics, transported back to your house.  Then handled by you (who admittedly has not sent in a CGC submission before) to get into the window bag, then packaged by you, then shipped, then opened at CGC, sorted by a CGC employee, brought in front of Todd, handed to Todd by a CGC employee, handled by Todd, handed back to CGC employee, transferred to the pressing area, pressing, transferred to the grading area.

It does take experience to get better at grading and submitting, and its not a perfect or exact science for the submitter or even CGC.  But congratulations on having enough disposable money to risk on this endeavor even though you had very little experience. 

On 1/27/2020 at 7:43 PM, zombieshaner said:

So, I sent in a Spawn 300 and 301 to get signed by Todd McFarlane and both had never been read or out of their bags until I made the window bags for them.  I got pressing done on both because Todd isnt gentle, and I still got a 9.2 on the 300 and 9.6 on the 301.  What the Hell?!  Does this sound right to everyone?  

Yes, it does. The default grade of new books bought on the news stand are 9.2. That's as far as the price guide goes and that's the grade which accepts all kinds of bindery defects, like your colour break. Not saying it's the average grade, just saying that's the kind of grade you can expect (9.2 or higher). 

Your disappointment is the reason there are entire businesses around preordering books with a guaranteed 9.8. If you wanted a guaranteed 9.8, you have to purchase a guaranteed 9.8. If not, you're just rolling the dice in the high grade game.

here is an example of places that let you preorder 9.8s, you'll see you pay a heavy premium

https://mutantbeavercomics.com/

11 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Yes, it does. The default grade of new books bought on the news stand are 9.2. That's as far as the price guide goes and that's the grade which accepts all kinds of bindery defects, like your colour break. Not saying it's the average grade, just saying that's the kind of grade you can expect (9.2 or higher). 

Your disappointment is the reason there are entire businesses around preordering books with a guaranteed 9.8. If you wanted a guaranteed 9.8, you have to purchase a guaranteed 9.8. If not, you're just rolling the dice in the high grade game.

here is an example of places that let you preorder 9.8s, you'll see you pay a heavy premium

https://mutantbeavercomics.com/

It's amazing to me how little premium the market places on 9.8s, too. You can get virtually flawless books every single day for essentially cost, already slabbed.