• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Eternals Signed by Jack Kirby
1 1

26 posts in this topic

I'm just curious about this book.  It's a SS Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.  So the Jack Kirby signature obviously was unwitnessed so why isn't this a yellow label with a green top boarder like the example below?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ETERNALS-1-CGC-9-8-SIGNED-by-both-STAN-LEE-JACK-KIRBY-Truly-Amazing-Thanos/293302782075?hash=item444a35487b:g:pJ8AAOSwwtdcDbOM

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 11.33.19 PM.png

Edited by Xenosmilus

7 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Funny because it’s a simple and obvious answer, it seems like a loop hole though to get around having a green label.

Gotcha. Wanted to make sure you weren't thinking that I meant Stan Lee sigs are above the law...

It kind of is. It's part of the reason that I despise any of the custom labels. People have pointed out Spider-Man labels with restoration notes. IMO, non-universal/only-SS comics should be ineligible for those labels.

10 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Gotcha. Wanted to make sure you weren't thinking that I meant Stan Lee sigs are above the law...

It kind of is. It's part of the reason that I despise any of the custom labels. People have pointed out Spider-Man labels with restoration notes. IMO, non-universal/only-SS comics should be ineligible for those labels.

So even a Restored SS Stan book would be yellow? Now that would be dangerous. 

this has been brought up in two separate threads dating back to July 2019 I think I started one. 

We had Brittany respond to it that these are CGC errors and should be sent back to be re-holder with the correct label. 

Edited by Krismusic

2 minutes ago, silverseeker said:

Is it possible that the Jack Kirby-signed book did not get a Qualified label because he signed it on the first page and not the cover?

Yes, but Kirby died before CGC formed. Hence no CGC verification. Most people understand this. But by CGC standards it would still be a green label even if legit.

1 minute ago, Xenosmilus said:

Yes, but Kirby died before CGC formed. Hence no CGC verification. Most people understand this. But by CGC standards it would still be a green label even if legit.

I think only Stan lee's signature is called out on the label as verified ("SIGNED BY STAN LEE ON 09/22/18"), while Jack Kirby's signature is just called out in a note.

Would the book get a Qualified grade (green vs. blue label) if it were not submitted through the Signature Series service? I don't think it would in that case, otherwise every book with someone's signature on the first page would get a Qualified grade.

6 minutes ago, silverseeker said:

Would the book get a Qualified grade (green vs. blue label) if it were not submitted through the Signature Series service? I don't think it would in that case, otherwise every book with someone's signature on the first page would get a Qualified grade.

Yes, It would get a green label. if there is not a CGC employee or CGC surrogate the book will get a green label even if legit.

11 hours ago, silverseeker said:

I think only Stan lee's signature is called out on the label as verified ("SIGNED BY STAN LEE ON 09/22/18"), while Jack Kirby's signature is just called out in a note.

Yes, unless otherwise requested. If you request a Universal label for the signature, then the graders would approach it as a defect rather than a "name written".

11 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yes, unless otherwise requested. If you request a Universal label for the signature, then the graders would approach it as a defect rather than a "name written".

Thanks for this info! For some reason I thought a Qualified grade would only come into play if a book was signed on the cover as opposed to on the first page (as is the case with the Jack Kirby signature on the book in question)...

6 minutes ago, XXpiggyXX said:

Sure is. Unless you mean if Stan's sig was on the first page also or Kirby's sig was on the cover, but I'm talking about this particular book. If it was previously slabbed before being signed by Stan it was in a blue label.

"Books that have a signature on an interior page will not be Qualified, and therefore have the writing factored into the grade. An interior signature usually has a very minimal affect on the grade, and a small, neatly-placed signature on an interior page can often still achieve a 9.8 (assuming of course that the book is otherwise a  9.8 already).

Although the book would get a Blue Universal label, it will still state (in lowercase) "Name written on 1st page in pen." (or whichever page it happens to be)." Bree CGC employee.

That is often not the case.

6 minutes ago, XXpiggyXX said:

So then, prove me and the CGC employee in charge of Ask CGC wrong  (shrug)  I expect a multitude of examples since "this is OFTEN not the case".

My 4 pieces of anecdotal evidence are at home. I'll have to try remembering to take images for you (I don't typically log-in on weekends).

Then, I'll have to figure out how to upload them here from my phone...

4 minutes ago, XXpiggyXX said:

It doesn't have to be your personal books, show me all the evidence you've accumulated scouring Ebay, CC, Clink, HA, etc.

That's easy. When you reply, right under the text box it says "click here to select files". Click that, choose picture, and upload to the board.

I will put the case together as I see fit, thanks.