• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good moments in "Bad" comic book movies

29 posts in this topic

They can't all be winners.  We've all seen some bad comic book movies, but that doesn't mean that they were 100% bad.  What were some enjoyable moments in a movie you'd otherwise consider bad?

I'll start.

Superman Returns was a rough movie...but that airplane/shuttle rescue scene was exciting and well done.  It happens early in the movie.  Feel free to turn the movie off after this scene. 

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 has a lot of good content. Mostly those that brought some seriousness and Saga continuity.

The, "...I just wanted a sister" scene, for example.

To be clear, it's your opinion that Guardians 2 is bad, generally speaking?

2 minutes ago, Turtle said:

To be clear, it's your opinion that Guardians 2 is bad, generally speaking?

I think I gave it a D+ when I did my pre-Endgame marathon. It's funny, but I think it's a generally awful MCU film.

To me, as a standalone comedy, it doesn't work (because it's a sequel and within an expansive CU). So, within the context of the MCU, it's just not any good.

2 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Iron Man 2 when he puts on the armor via suit-case 

I personally can't consider Iron Man 2 "bad" because of many reasons unrelated to the generic villain.

His suit(s), his relationship with pepper, Black Widow, Nick Fury and his father content, building on his character, War Machine, etc etc etc.

I know a decent amount of people consider it "bad", but that sequence where Iron Man and War Machine take on the drones gives me a freaking hard-on every time.

The Incredible Hulk

The entire opening scene in Rio. Went downhill after that.

Hulk

The running and jump scenes when he escapes into the desert are comic book perfection and the battle that comes right after rivals any Hulk scene done in the current MCU. The movie just didn’t work.

3 minutes ago, D84 said:

Batman v Superman 

The warehouse fight, showing Batman fight the way I always saw it in my head reading the comics.

I had this one locked and loaded.  I liked Batman v Superman more than most, but I don't think it's a great movie.  However, Batman taking out those chumps in the warehouse was amazing.  It's like it was pulled right out of the Rocksteady Arkham games, which are tremendous.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

@Turtle dare we open the endless can of worms that is the Star Wars franchise in these threads?

Star Wars has comics.  Why not? 

Heck, I'll start with the obvious. 

The song Duel of the Fates might be the best part of Phantom Menace.

While The Last Jedi doesn't have a single full minute of good/great, the part which Luke basically blows up the room after seeing the connection between Ben and Rey, was great. Despite "turning himself off from the Force" he was able to demonstrate how powerful he was on the turn of a dime.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus
Grammatical error.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

While The Last Jedi doesn't have a single full minute of good/great, the part which Luke basically blows up the room after seeing the connection between Ben and Rey, was great. Despite "turning himself off from the Force" he was able to demonstrate how powerful he was on the turn of a dime.

I never understood that.  Rey looked at him with a shocked look when she discovered he cut himself off from the Force...almost like it was a permanent decision.  But then he was able to use the Force a number of times throughout the movie.  If it can be turned on or off at a moment's notice, why is it a big deal?

2 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I never understood that.  Rey looked at him with a shocked look when she discovered he cut himself off from the Force...almost like it was a permanent decision.  But then he was able to use the Force a number of times throughout the movie.  If it can be turned on or off at a moment's notice, why is it a big deal?

The same thing could be said about any religion, I guess.

I think of it, like... Obviously there are Force-sensitives who aren't super powerful like the Skywalkers. They need to 'train' to stay attached. People like Luke have an inherent connection that, while it can be ignored, they are never really completely 'cut off'.

Am I right? Am I wrong? Idk.

The Quicksilver scene from X-Men Apocalypse

A few caveats for this one.  It's a pander-y re-hash of the excellent Quicksilver sequence from Days of Future Past and it's also completely tone-deaf given the upbeat music and inherent humor of the scene despite the fact that the explosion he's racing against just killed an X-man. 

But if you can ignore that and look at the scene in a vacuum, the mansion rescue is a lot of fun. 

I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember really enjoying the fight between black suit Spidey and Sandman in the subway in Spider-man 3.

Thomas Haden Church was pretty terrific in that role.  He looked the part and brought some depth to the character.  They could have left out the Uncle Ben connection and the Sand Monster thing at the end and it would have been much better.