• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad moments in "Good" comic book movies

16 posts in this topic

Ever watch a good comic book movie that's weighed down by one or two bad scenes?  Let's hear them!

I'll start.

The Christopher Reeve Superman movie was mostly excellent, but it was really let down by the climax.  I've heard it "explained" a few ways, but I'm still unclear on what exactly happened.  Did Superman reverse the Earth's rotation to turn back time?  Did he fly faster than the speed of light to travel back in time?  Something else?  In any case, it seemed vague and just came off as corny.  It took me right out of the movie. 

By all means, if I'm missing something here, change my mind.  :popcorn:

Edited by Turtle

Contrary to somewhat "popular" belief, the Martha scene in Dawn of Justice is one of its very few weaknesses, and it doesn't make for an overall bad movie (the Theatrical Cut itself is weak, but the actual movie is awesome). I understand the premise and execution, but it being the encompassing reason behind their resolution is still a very large weak spot.

40 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Ever watch a good comic book movie that's weighed down by one or two bad scenes?  Let's hear them!

I'll start.

The Christopher Reeve Superman movie was mostly excellent, but it was really let down by the climax.  I've heard it "explained" a few ways, but I'm still unclear on what exactly happened.  Did Superman reverse the Earth's rotation to turn back time?  Did he fly faster than the speed of light to travel back in time?  Something else?  In any case, it seemed vague and just came off as corny.  It took me right out of the movie. 

No you are on point. Let’s just say that his turning time back for the planet worked for me when I saw it as a boy in the late 70s. So it still works for me! 

39 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Contrary to somewhat "popular" belief, the Martha scene in Dawn of Justice is one of its very few weaknesses, and it doesn't make for an overall bad movie (the Theatrical Cut itself is weak, but the actual movie is awesome). I understand the premise and execution, but it being the encompassing reason behind their resolution is still a very large weak spot.

The Martha scene works for me. I saw it giving Batman a moment of pause just for a second which allowed Lois Lane to get between the two shielding Superman. Bruce wasn’t going to go through her and came to his senses despite his rage and frustration. Yup, I’m completely good with it internet!

2 minutes ago, Oddball said:

The Martha scene works for me. I saw it giving Batman a moment of pause just for a second which allowed Lois Lane to get between the two shielding Superman. Bruce wasn’t going to go through her and came to his senses despite his rage and frustration. Yup, I’m completely good with it internet!

IMO it works, but it's definitely the weakest point of the film. They were just beating the carp out of each other. The problem is that it's a complex moment that many casual moviegoers just don't understand. Add to the fact that the Theatrical Cut just doesn't build up enough to that point...

It's a gray area because of the 2 different cuts. I still remember my initial reaction in theaters wasn't good. It makes much more sense in the UE and I think it would be more well-received if Worlds of DC didn't handcuff its directors.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It makes much more sense in the UE and I think it would be more well-received if Worlds of DC didn't handcuff its directors.

It seems like creative control is reined in at DC as a film starts creeping towards the one hundred million mark. One thing I’m really looking forward to is Zacks Netflix movie Army of the Dead where he stated he had no studio interference.

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

I'll start.

There's probably something in every good comic book movie that's a cringe-worthy part.  Might as well mention Superman II, when he battles the Kryptonian villains in the Fortress.  He has a "plastic-wrap shield" and sudden teleportation skills with hologram dopplegangers.  Thankfully, Lois ends the cringe-worthy powers with her ultra-cringe-worthy "you're a real pain-in-the-neck!" dialogue, so the movie gets back to Lois being the unintended villain like we'd gotten accustomed to for two movies. lol

Edited by valiantman

I've got a small gripe with Endgame that probably only bothers me and no one else on the planet, but here it is:

In Infinity War, Gamora tells us that Thanos could achieve his goals with a snap of his fingers if he had all the stones.  He was also gloating to Thor in the moments leading up to the snap.  The snap is very consistent with Thanos' character.  It's not a necessary gesture.  In the movie, they make it a point to show that all he has to do is close his fist to activate the stones. 

Fast forward to Endgame when Hulk wore the Iron Gauntlet and brought everyone back.  He's grimacing in pain like he can barely handle it...then he snaps!?  JUST CLOSE YOUR FIST!!!  The snapping made it seem like he was playing up the pain for dramatic effect.  It took me out of the moment for sure. 

Tony snapped, but he did it right in front of Thanos, almost mockingly.  This is entirely consistent with Tony's character.  The Hulk snap thing was just dumb.

2 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I've got a small gripe with Endgame that probably only bothers me and no one else on the planet, but here it is:

In Infinity War, Gamora tells us that Thanos could achieve his goals with a snap of his fingers if he had all the stones.  He was also gloating to Thor in the moments leading up to the snap.  The snap is very consistent with Thanos' character.  It's not a necessary gesture.  In the movie, they make it a point to show that all he has to do is close his fist to activate the stones. 

Fast forward to Endgame when Hulk wore the Iron Gauntlet and brought everyone back.  He's grimacing in pain like he can barely handle it...then he snaps!?  JUST CLOSE YOUR FIST!!!  The snapping made it seem like he was playing up the pain for dramatic effect.  It took me out of the moment for sure. 

Tony snapped, but he did it right in front of Thanos, almost mockingly.  This is entirely consistent with Tony's character.  The Hulk snap thing was just dumb.

I think you're right. lol

I think that the Infinity Gauntlet was designed to use the stones individually, or together, by finger movement/gesture. I also think that The Snap was required to activate all 6 stones.

I think Tony simply programmed the Nano Gauntlet to act the same as the one forged on Nedavellir. I don't think that all 6 stones can be used without snapping, because the 6th stone isn't on a finger or thumb - it's on your hand.