• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long term storage?

14 posts in this topic

I have a box of Silver age that i want to protect for long term storage.

I've been reading that mylites 2 or 4 are the way to go, but there isn't much talk about the board?

I've read that acid free boards still need switching out after 5-7 years? So the 20+ year advantage of mylites is out the window, no?

What if:

Put just the comic in a mylites bag, then put the bag and board into a slightly larger PP bag?

Trying to find the best storage solution that doesn't require switching out every 5-10 years.

Thanks,

54 minutes ago, bababooey said:

The above thread has some discussion about boards.  The E Gerber acid free full or half backs seem to be the consensus best case, there's another thread where the acidity of the Gerber boards is tested against other product, it was started by the same thread starter if you want to dig deeper. 

Also, store in a cool, dark place away from moisture. 

8 minutes ago, apeg said:

Even after 20 years there is no issues with keeping the same backer board? 

20 years is a long time. Most damage deterioration discussions focus on 25 years max. If you think the comics are valuable, you need to act on that. 

I wouldn't go overboard on mylars & acid free boards for a bunch of very good condition SA books.  How have the books been stored for the last 50 years, what is the page quality like?    Why spend a buck a book to store a $10 book for 20 years when it'll probably only be worth $5 in 20 years. :tonofbricks:  

12 hours ago, bababooey said:

I wouldn't go overboard on mylars & acid free boards for a bunch of very good condition SA books.  How have the books been stored for the last 50 years, what is the page quality like?    Why spend a buck a book to store a $10 book for 20 years when it'll probably only be worth $5 in 20 years. :tonofbricks:  

Nah - they'll be toilet paper in 20 years.

Brittle, painful, soiled toilet paper.

14 hours ago, bababooey said:

Are you saying that VG books are screwed no matter what you do?

I have Silver Age books that have been in the same 1 Mil Mylite (that is all that was available in the early 80's) with the same board for 30 + years.

I regraded all of my books (2000 +) in 2015 and none of the boards were yellowing or showing any signs of deterioration and none of the comics showed any damage (other than their normal wear and tear) from old boards.

You have to realize that the comic books degrade on their own as they age, the paper that was used was poor quality, the inks used contain damaging acids, As stated earlier, everything depends on proper storage conditions, the more a books environment is changed the more/faster it degrades so you want Mylites, Acid Free Boards, Storage Boxes, Controlled Temp/Humidity and books should be kept away from all Light/Heat sources especially UV Light and Heater/AC Vents, do not store in unfinished, non-temp controlled garages/sheds/attics/basements.

17 hours ago, apeg said:

Even after 20 years there is no issues with keeping the same backer board? 

I haven't seen any issues with the boards whatsoever, but I use high quality boards from Bill Cole enterprises. They cost a little more, but apparently you get what you pay for...