• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: Nova #1 (Now in Hand)

32 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There are, like, 500 better methods of "investing".

There are no guarantees in life other than death and taxes.

Like what..?  I understand it to be that property, art, and memorabilia are the 3 things that always go up.

What else that cost 5 cents has changed hands for a million dollars..?  Or even a thousand..?

1 minute ago, mike devon said:

Like what..?  I understand it to be that property, art, and memorabilia are the 3 things that always go up.

What else that cost 5 cents has changed hands for a million dollars..?  Or even a thousand..?

Nobody bought Action Comics #1 in 1938 for 10 cents and thought it would be an "investment".

Financial advisors exist for a reason. Turning money into money is pretty much the safest bet. At the drop of a dime, the entire comic collecting market could crash.

I could opt-out of my 401k and "invest" in comics, but I'd be missing out on match contributions (aka free money) and historically 'safe'(r) returns in a currently-booming market.

12 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nobody bought Action Comics #1 in 1938 for 10 cents and thought it would be an "investment".

Financial advisors exist for a reason. Turning money into money is pretty much the safest bet. At the drop of a dime, the entire comic collecting market could crash.

I could opt-out of my 401k and "invest" in comics, but I'd be missing out on match contributions (aka free money) and historically 'safe'(r) returns in a currently-booming market.

Interesting but I'd say the entire comic collecting market wouldn't crash - not couldn't but wouldn't.  It would take a worldwide event worse than the great depression.  Comics have become chits for making money.  Same as the original art now that's leaped up in value.

Not all comics ofc just the historic ones AF15 etc.

2 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Interesting but I'd say the entire comic collecting market wouldn't crash - not couldn't but wouldn't.  It would take a worldwide event worse than the great depression.  Comics have become chits for making money.  Same as the original art now that's leaped up in value.

Not all comics ofc just the historic ones AF15 etc.

If something can happen - it will happen. It has happened (90's).

AF15 might always be worth something, but relativity matters. If you buy an AF15 for $100k, the market crashes, and it's worth $50k? You lost big time.

The MCU could experience a massive recession in current and future fans. That could equate to a crash (especially in spec drek - which is what many people who aren't pros make money on). Less demand = supply value lowers.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If something can happen - it will happen. It has happened (90's).

AF15 might always be worth something, but relativity matters. If you buy an AF15 for $100k, the market crashes, and it's worth $50k? You lost big time.

The MCU could experience a massive recession in current and future fans. That could equate to a crash (especially in spec drek - which is what many people who aren't pros make money on). Less demand = supply value lowers.

Very much agree! 

If nothing else, a significant market adjustment or mini crash is going to happen in the coming years   

3 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Sure guys but the persistent historic books will keep going up.  Batman and Spidey have huge longevity - just like Mickey Mouse.

I'm not saying Nic Cage will ever make a profit off that Batman book though - thats an outlier :)

There's no evidence to support this statement, though.

As younger people have less and less desire to collect "art", there's a massively realistic possibility that all "keys" will be worth less than they are now.

24 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's no evidence to support this statement, though.

As younger people have less and less desire to collect "art", there's a massively realistic possibility that all "keys" will be worth less than they are now.

Hmmm I think there's loads of evidence to support it - there is multi generational appeal.  Of course I understand what a correction is but high end books are traded like classic sports cars.

34 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Sure guys but the persistent historic books will keep going up.  Batman and Spidey have huge longevity - just like Mickey Mouse.

They will drop in value at some point, the comic market will not continue to grow & grow at the rate it's currently is.

Will Spidey/batman's 1st appearance always have value? Yes but, it can/will drop at some point

Edited by Deadpoolica

25 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

They will drop in value at some point, the comic market will not continue to grow & grow at the rate it's currently is.

Will Spidey/batman's 1st appearance always have value? Yes but, it can/will drop at some point

Or they might shoot up.  In 1977 only a nutcase would have bet on a Batman comic being worth millions.

I agree the peak price may fluctuate but solid mid grade prime keys I think will have long legs.

BTW I don't particularly have a dog in this race - I only have a few books.

Edited by mike devon