• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 6 new pics (conservator's opinion added)

36 posts in this topic

OK its just arrived.  Here are some quick pics including one at rake angle to highlight the flatness.

Laying flat it looks new - the only thing that says it isn't is a mild agedness.  The whites have gone a bit off white.

Centre fold split 2 inches - page off 1 staple.  Can't tell if factory or user.

The spine split/wear is about 2mm.  

Spine ticks 1 or 2 tiny tiny ones.

Bit of dirt on the back

Mild corner bend.

No restoration its straight out of an old old collection.

I think its 7.5..?  The centre fold split doesn't show unless you open it quite far out.

I'm very relieved - I was half expecting water damage or some other thing that wouldn't show on photos but there's nothing.

asm61.jpg

asm62.jpg

asm63.png

Edited by mike devon
update

8 minutes ago, comicshark said:

I agree with your grade of 7.5 if pressed and dry cleaned...will look nicer. maybe a 7.0 as is. 

Cheers.  I'm thinking of selling it raw.  I didn't buy it to sell but I'm now thinking about trying for a low grade issue 1.  I don't think I'd get it pressed I'd leave that to potential buyer.  I like that its straight from original owner and totally raw.

8 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

7.5 isn't an unreasonable grade. I would say closer to 7.0 IMO.

Cheers.  I'd say 7.5 without the internal centrefold split.  That's a shame but unless you open the book right up you don't see it.  As eye candy its great.

3 hours ago, mike devon said:

Cheers - so how much do you deduct for an internal split..?  0.5 or 1.0..?

I seem to recall this issue as having that defect more often than other early Spideys. It may be a manufacturing defect, which wouldn't be viewed as harshly. So yeah, I'd only knock it down a .5...

9 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I seem to recall this issue as having that defect more often than other early Spideys. It may be a manufacturing defect, which wouldn't be viewed as harshly. So yeah, I'd only knock it down a .5...

Thats interesting.  But how would we ever be able to tell..?  The book overall is in excellent condition - almost no wear at all which suggests factory issue.  The damage doesn't look like wear its just a clean split.  But it could be.

How to tell..?  Looks like factory issue but who knows..?  All I can go on is what I can see and the book overall has practically zero normal handling wear - some dirt and mild stacking roll are the only real evidence it was ever owned and read.  Very tight staples.

How is it that some are grading this 6.5 as is and some 4.0..?  That is an enormous difference.

Edited by mike devon

6 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

A 2" tear on an internal page is too much for a 7.5.

A solid 7.0.

Cheers Harry.  7.0 is fine by me - although as mentioned above this is a known factory issue on very early ASMs.  Is there any way to tell..?  It looks to me like a very clean split..?  I'm happy with a 7.0 but if its a factory split it would be very handy to know.

10 minutes ago, mike devon said:

Cheers Harry.  7.0 is fine by me - although as mentioned above this is a known factory issue on very early ASMs.  Is there any way to tell..?  It looks to me like a very clean split..?  I'm happy with a 7.0 but if its a factory split it would be very handy to know.

I've not heard of this production issue before on any comics but I'm far from the most knowledgable boardie, sorry.

1 hour ago, Harry Lime said:

I've not heard of this production issue before on any comics but I'm far from the most knowledgable boardie, sorry.

Me neither till today Harry.  Nearly impossible to discern I'd say.  For me I would expect to pay less for one with the tear but in terms of fretting or losing sleep over it it doesn't bother me at all.  The same tear on a cover would drive me completely batty and I wouldn't buy it - unless it was like an ASM 1 I guess.