• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Books (or Characters) That Haven't Aged Well

39 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

Just a hunch, but I don't think Lil Eightball would fly today.  

812165-funnies64.jpg

There are a lot of Golden Age covers I'd love to own if not for the racist depictions. I get it. They're a product of their era. I love literature, but I don't read my kid Rudyard Kipling because of the racist content. I'm not going to explain that comic cover to him either. There's a difference between Mark Twain using dialect and examining racial institutions and crass depictions that perpetuate prejudices.

Sorry, this topic has always stuck in my craw. :D 

18 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

There are a lot of Golden Age covers I'd love to own if not for the racist depictions. I get it. They're a product of their era. I love literature, but I don't read my kid Rudyard Kipling because of the racist content. I'm not going to explain that comic cover to him either. There's a difference between Mark Twain using dialect and examining racial institutions and crass depictions that perpetuate prejudices.

Sorry, this topic has always stuck in my craw. :D 

I totally get that these are a product of the time.  I love the golden age of American animation, and I've seen the so-called Censored Eleven cartoons.  Some of them are very well done, but without being able to explain the context to someone, it just looks bad.  

Watchmen. The space squid invasion ending. Spoils it for me now.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm gonna re-read it soon, and consider this contribution.

Do you think Snyder did it better in his film?

I much prefer the film’s ending. Huge improvement.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Chazgee said:

On the flip side, Aunt May has aged quite well.

am2.jpeg

I'll never forgive Seinfeld for allowing us to believe that fat bald guys actually had a shot with Marisa Tomei! 

Well, if you are going to go with Aunt May, then how about Ms. Grundy here from the Archie comic books:

Image result for old ms grundy archie comics images

As compared to Ms. Grundy from the Riverdale TV series:

Definitely very un-Grundy like behavior as what the long term Archie comic readers are used to.  :blush:

Heck, the whole Riverdale TV series is so very un-Archie like...........too wild as compared to the traditional Archie comics and probably too tame as compared to the Afterlife With Archie comic book series.  O.o

Edited by lou_fine

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Except that it's completely absurd and nonsensical. (shrug)

Better than the squid.  To me, anyway.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Better than the squid.  To me, anyway.

I can understand liking one concept better than the other, but the movie ending just does not work, for many reasons.

Also, I don't think that has anything to do with how the comic aged.

Edited by Lazyboy
addition