• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Books (or Characters) That Haven't Aged Well

39 posts in this topic

That Cap cover in the original post is classic. All kidding aside, I would love to have that original art framed in my home. The floating head would put a smile on my face every day. 

Also, there is a comparison here of unlikely events that can actually happen and therefore give you hope. George hooking up with Marissa Tomei is just as likely as that Cap cover getting published by Marvel. If one can and did happen then why not the other. Same level of absurdity/humor. 

11 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I'll never forgive Seinfeld for allowing us to believe that fat bald guys actually had a shot with Marisa Tomei! 

You did. And still do! She's single!

I know this and I'm not even fat or bald. Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

2 hours ago, Summydad1 said:

That Cap cover in the original post is classic. All kidding aside, I would love to have that original art framed in my home. The floating head would put a smile on my face every day. 

Wouldn't you much rather have this classic one here to frame and hang in your home:  lol

Image result for worst captain america rob liefeld

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

I read a couple of the Denny Oneil/Adams Green Lantern run and was very disappointed. 

I found them dated when I read them circa 1980.

The run aged in a very accelerated manner.

8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I can understand liking one concept better than the other, but the movie ending just does not work, for many reasons.

Also, I don't think that has anything to do with how the comic aged.

I asked him if he preferred the movie to the novel. His initial comment didn't mention the movie.

18 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I'll never forgive Seinfeld for allowing us to believe that fat bald guys actually had a shot with Marisa Tomei! 

Hahahaha ...

9 hours ago, Kramerica said:

You did. And still do! She's single!

I know this and I'm not even fat or bald. Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

Eh, I'm married now. She had her chance!

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I asked him if he preferred the movie to the novel. His initial comment didn't mention the movie.

I'm just saying that not liking the Squid Alien invasion concept has nothing to do with the passage of time. It's not like squids were all the rage in the 80s and now they're so passe that anything even mentioning them is considered to be dated.

13 hours ago, shadroch said:

I read a couple of the Denny Oneil/Adams Green Lantern run and was very disappointed. 

Yeah, those are books that are very much a product of their time and really show it, though some parts haven't aged as poorly as others.

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, those are books that are very much a product of their time and really show it, though some parts haven't aged as poorly as others.

These came out when I'd cut back my comic buying and I rarely bought Green Lantern but I remember picking one up and being bored at the time. Hal and Ollie spent most of the book sitting around a fire moaning about stuff.

I didn't read the whole series until the deluxe versions came out in the 80s. When I picked up one of these recently, I thought I'd enjoy it.

The first Teen Titans run, mostly the way the others talk to Wonder Girl.

Edited by revat

40 minutes ago, shadroch said:

These came out when I'd cut back my comic buying and I rarely bought Green Lantern but I remember picking one up and being bored at the time. Hal and Ollie spent most of the book sitting around a fire moaning about stuff.

I didn't read the whole series until the deluxe versions came out in the 80s. When I picked up one of these recently, I thought I'd enjoy it.

My problem with Hard Travelin Heroes is that it's VERY HEAVY HANDED with its message. But then again, it was a different time, superhero comics weren't exactly known for their nuance, and the fact that comics were trying to broach these topics at all (racism, drugs, etc) was pretty heavy stuff. I don't think the books READ particularly well these days, but they're still important, and the art is still pretty. I can't imagine needing to sit down and actually read them again any time soon, though.

12 hours ago, revat said:

The first Teen Titans run, mostly the way the others talk to Wonder Girl.

Also a classic example of dated, and to me unreadable, teenage / hippy dialogue, written by the middle-aged Haney and Kanigher, which explained why even as a kid in the 70s it could sound a bit off at times to me.

Nice Cardy and Adams art, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred

The way Stan wrote some of his heroines very much strikes me of a product of its time.  I remember having to do a double take the first few times I came across panels like these:

Wasp.jpg.a8ffd7850fd24b35087700ce46add47d.jpg

or

IW.png.1692f22f6a5b7bd00739ef920d02ced7.png

6 hours ago, Turtle said:

The way Stan wrote some of his heroines very much strikes me of a product of its time.  I remember having to do a double take the first few times I came across panels like these:

Wasp.jpg.a8ffd7850fd24b35087700ce46add47d.jpg

or

IW.png.1692f22f6a5b7bd00739ef920d02ced7.png

Oh there were a lot of good one's especially from Reed in those earlier FF stories. I read FF1-125ish a few years back. If you want to see some real product of it's time, hasn't aged well Stan Lee penned stuff crack open the first Captain America Omnibus. There is a text story in there that hasn't aged well at all.