• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sharpie bleed through board?

20 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Trifisherjoe said:

Yes, acid free coated on side, bought this year. Thanks

I can't see it ever bleeding through to the coating side, and then through the coating, to reach the comic.

I've used acid-free boards to write on and haven't ever seen any bleed-thru.

27 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Contact-side still is.

I like acid anyways.

it all makes sense now lol.. 

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm curious: Why would you want to get smearable ink anywhere near your books? 

I'm assuming there is Sharpie on the backing board with some type of identifying information on it either from the OP or from the comic shop

Sharpie/marker will bleed through a standard comic bag over time.

If you have any marker on a bag, and you don't want it transferred to the book, get a new bag.

Also: if you have a "comic defense" box from the 90s, do not stack anything on it. It's not tall enough, and the books, rather than the box, will take the added weight.

Also: if you use boards, make sure the board is WIDER than the comic, or you will end up with indentations on the book or the book behind it.

Also: if your back cover has ink near the staples, DO NOT use a board next to the book. Eventually, the board will scuff the ink right off, especially near the protrusions on the cover made by the staple legs.

Amazing...we use these "storage" products to protect our books, and they end up doing more harm than good.

meh

50 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I'm assuming there is Sharpie on the backing board with some type of identifying information on it either from the OP or from the comic shop

Right!...then I thought, wonder if that will bleed through? I might just get a couple new boards and swap out. thanks for the help!

13 hours ago, Trifisherjoe said:

Right!...then I thought, wonder if that will bleed through? I might just get a couple new boards and swap out. thanks for the help!

Safe > sorry.

I thought that maybe you were gonna add grades, or prices paid, on the backs of your boards. Paper/excel is always better for that, anyways, IMO.

43 minutes ago, Trifisherjoe said:

Can't say it didn't cross my mind.

you can write on a sticker and attache to the back the grade price etc.. I've seen this on quite a few books I am starting to use these avery office supply stickers on the back plastic to note whatever info I want on the book with a ball point pen and attach it to the back of the plastic where the flap closes the book.

4 hours ago, Krismusic said:

you can write on a sticker and attache to the back the grade price etc.. I've seen this on quite a few books I am starting to use these avery office supply stickers on the back plastic to note whatever info I want on the book with a ball point pen and attach it to the back of the plastic where the flap closes the book.

Great idea!Thanks