• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Monday Auctions...
2 2

43 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, vodou said:

I would mildly suggest that they have very good reason based on information we are not privvy to. My guess - they see just how much volume is already in the hopper or likely to soon be under contract for the remainder of the year and had a small come to Jesus moment ;)

Oh, I don't doubt they are drowning in volume with everyone cashing out of comics left and right (due to demographics and Death of Print.) I'm just questioning the choice of Monday night.

I thought a birthday strip for my wife who was a huge Garfield fan when we started dating might be a fun gift so I setup a search for her date. One finally turned up and it was for the year we married. I was about to enter a bid when I decided to check older bids - $1500 and up and up. Nope, too much for a b'day gift. She likes OA, but likes lots of other things for $1.5K.

2 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I thought a birthday strip for my wife who was a huge Garfield fan when we started dating might be a fun gift so I setup a search for her date. One finally turned up and it was for the year we married. I was about to enter a bid when I decided to check older bids - $1500 and up and up. Nope, too much for a b'day gift. She likes OA, but likes lots of other things for $1.5K.

Eventually (hopefully for buyers, anyway) prices will level off and go down for Garfield art, as collectors buy what they want.  You just had the "bad" luck of your perfect date coming early in the auctions.  That being said, it being the "perfect" date to get, I would still go for it, because every year afterwards on your anniversary you'll think about "the one that got away".  I'm keeping an eye out for Garfield strips published on my birthdate.   Haven't seen any yet, but I figure they'll hit someday.

10 hours ago, Fiawol said:

Eventually (hopefully for buyers, anyway) prices will level off and go down for Garfield art, as collectors buy what they want.  You just had the "bad" luck of your perfect date coming early in the auctions.  That being said, it being the "perfect" date to get, I would still go for it, because every year afterwards on your anniversary you'll think about "the one that got away".  I'm keeping an eye out for Garfield strips published on my birthdate.   Haven't seen any yet, but I figure they'll hit someday.

I showed it to Kathy and she said she'd be upset if I spent that much for it. That was good enough for me. I may set a search for one on our anniversary.

Keep in mind that the Sunday auctions were ending very late by EST standards.  If there was a page drawn by an artist at the tail end of the alphabet that competition was dying out as the midnight hour was approaching.  If you have the auction on a Sunday then sellers with artists toward the Z end of things are getting shortchanged.  If you have it on Monday then artists at the A end of the things are being shortchanged. 

With the bulk of material these days it is hard to fit all of these listings in auctions in a way that will benefit everyone at all times.   

On 2/4/2020 at 8:05 PM, alxjhnsn said:

I bought a Peanuts daily when they were just a couple grand, thinking my wife would like it and I'd buy a lot more for investments that she would also enjoy.   But she shrugged it off and I didn't buy any more.  

4 hours ago, bluechip said:

I bought a Peanuts daily when they were just a couple grand, thinking my wife would like it and I'd buy a lot more for investments that she would also enjoy.   But she shrugged it off and I didn't buy any more.  

Yeah, any time I give art related gifts, it is a edit shoot.  I have gotten some nice  art back from deceased relatives.  Ouch.  David

Edited by aokartman
clarify

It’s funny to think that a move to Monday would depress prices because I’m still not seeing any steals—by that I mean A pieces for C prices, or even B prices for that matter. Now the stock market tumbled and prices are still strong as of Monday, March 23, before today’s Dow 2000 point increase. Comic art didn’t get the memo that the economy is tanking. Now that investors are buying back into the market, prices are less likely to fatigue. Maybe OA is seen as a safehaven?

This week saw an eBay sale of a Batgirl page by Parobeck from Batman Adventures #12 for $2050 in the middle of a tanked stock market. Was that high or low? Don’t know 🤷‍♂️  But it’s a strong price for Parobeck page without Harley. If a dealer bought it, betcha it’s gonna have a $4k+ price tag on it by the end of the week. Then there’s a $2500 sale for a McVenom sketch. 

My point is that if a market tumble doesn’t have an effect on prices, I doubt the day of the week will either. 

On 2/4/2020 at 3:44 PM, vodou said:

Personally I'm doubling down on as much Garfield as I can; there's just one of each out there ya know ;)

picked up a daily now I need a Sunday!   :insane:

I don't care if its never worth anything (and in fact despite the volume they are going for good prices).   Its a strip I remember as a childhood classic so I'm happy to have all this choice.    Don't give a sheet if it loses value or never gains any.

I have to imagine there has to be some effect. I’m still seeing ok prices, little soft but range still. That Parobeck I liked a lot but backed off bidding for a favor. I think that could have done 2500 in a better location, it still had batgirl on it. Normally pages are a Small fraction of that 2000+ price, but batgirl I’m sure would bring a premium. I sold maybe 100+ parobeck DC pages in the last few years and I Was getting 300-350 for quality Batman pages so 2000-2500 seems fair for a page from a key issue with decent content.

16 minutes ago, John E. said:

Then there’s a $2500 sale for a McVenom sketch. 

that was cray cray.   Didn't really look hard at it but it looked like a backing board type freebie con sketch

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

that was cray cray.   Didn't really look hard at it but it looked like a backing board type con sketch

It does look like a backing board but the measurements say it’s almost 11x17 with the frame even bigger. 

I’m not following the Garfield stuff but if I forget to check the week’s offerings on HA until Wednesday or Thursday, the Davis stuff already seems strong midweek for such a flood in inventory. I agree that you can sink a few hundred dollars into a piece and not look back. At some point there won’t be any on a weekly basis—just like those Don Newton pages on eBay

8 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I have to imagine there has to be some effect. I’m still seeing ok prices, little soft but range still. That Parobeck I liked a lot but backed off bidding for a favor. I think that could have done 2500 in a better location, it still had batgirl on it. Normally pages are a Small fraction of that 2000+ price, but batgirl I’m sure would bring a premium. I sold maybe 100+ parobeck DC pages in the last few years and I Was getting 300-350 for quality Batman pages so 2000-2500 seems fair for a page from a key issue with decent content.

And of course prices are all relative. I believe it could’ve been $2500. Put me on record as saying I’d never back away from an auction for a friend. I hope your friend returns the favor in a big way. 

Back to the topic. To me a steal is getting that Parobeck page for $1200 because it flew under the radar. Noting flies under the radar today. Maybe the BA12 page was a discount, though not a steal, only because someone was asked to back down. I guess that’s what it takes to get a discount. But wait, did your friend win it after all?

back to prices being relative: I recall some card art selling somewhat recently for $1900 on HA and me thinking it didn’t fly under the radar. Then it pops up on Romitaman for $4k and sells. Did the piece really fly under the radar or does the platform on which it is selling helps? I bet you I couldn’t get $4k for it if I posted it on CAF classifieds, especially if someone found the comp.