• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trimming concern, need opinions

7 posts in this topic

This is my first post here, and I’m sure not my last. I’m looking for as much advice or guidance as possible. I have a gorgeous copy of Journey into Mystery 83 that I purchased 25 plus years ago. It came in a Fortress, and has remained in the Fortress until recently when I decided to sell it. I’m a little suspicious of some trimming that may have been done prior to my purchase. I’m trying to not get to anxious about it. With pictures attached, could some of you please weigh in?

6A3F39FD-C6BA-437C-B8D3-AD95693897EE.jpeg

9CC1063F-A6E3-46B7-8EBA-0AD63FEE976C.jpeg

87BB6274-F8CF-4BA8-BB12-8ACFB514FFA3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tempus Fugit said:

I am of the opinion that there is a strong chance this is trimmed. This is mostly due to the fact that the corners opposite the spine are pretty sharp, but the spine wear indicates a more worn book. 

The chances are overwhelming that it's a two-edge trim. A back cover image would be the clincher.  

22 hours ago, AndyFish said:

+1 for more photos.   Tough to tell but from what's shown it looks trimmed to me.

The unnaturally sharp and pointed top right corner pretty much clinch a two edge trim in and of themselves. Add to that the razor sharp, inside page flush, top edge, apparently without a trace of the typical tiny machinery-production defect usually seen on even the finest of Pedigree 9.6s and the dissimilar color and texture of the page ends on that edge on the image. These are all major tells. These JIMs in this number range, say 50-100, are typically never seen with these characteristics unless in purple label CGC slabs, with trimmed designation.

If you've had the chance to review Silver age collections that had been untouched for decades, whether overall high or low grades, or a mixture of each, the characteristics of this book would stand out in bold relief immediately (one of these things is not like the others) as highly unusual.

Edited by James J Johnson