• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie & The Gang go to comic cons...
3 3

64 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I've only seen 100 degrees in the canyon once.  It was in July.  But, I go there to see reptiles, so I want it a little warm...but after a monsoon shower it's real nice.  You need to get into reptiles...a whole new world for you to explore...LOL

Hmmm, that didn’t seem to work out to well in the comics....

DE9DD53F-A034-4E8B-A64F-BD20AA99CC62.gif.31e4136dfb858bd6ac974b36a9d02c74.gif

2196951F-1D64-4C7F-9670-0F608616B04E.gif.b127f24d069d5080c78281cd2a4ee4ed.gif

On 1/29/2020 at 7:06 PM, Robot Man said:

This one is from two years later and features several older cons. 

The SDCC was now in it’s current location. Anybody remember just walking up and buying a ticket after parking in the garage below? I love that it features Tom and Virginia French. DeCarlo and Goldberg were a fun touch. Also, anybody have one of those new dangled cell phones? 

1B804A63-1698-4D57-8227-AEE248683C63.jpeg

763EF564-862F-4451-BDEF-0BF6458C5A7D.jpeg

164763B1-8025-44C4-AA77-0A5F1BB6375C.jpeg

58A42683-FF4B-4791-9077-E43EDCB1C389.jpeg

0A9A7548-AE60-4DC7-A442-081A2B5E707E.jpeg

I'm not sure Larry Charet has ever worn a suit...

On 1/31/2020 at 5:58 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:
On 1/31/2020 at 5:23 PM, lou_fine said:

You mean that you just asked him for his SD Con badge and didn't even bothered to check out his box of comics?  ???

Especially since you never know back in those days.  After all, it might have been a box of valuable comic books which he was trying to sell at the Con, but left in disgust right away when the dealers were trying to low balled him assuming that he didn't know anything about the value of the books at the time.  :mad:  :censored:

I glanced at the box and saw only 70s and 80s stuff. 

Actually, the only reason I was asking was that it sort of reminded me about my first time down at the big SD Con back in the start of the 90's.

Didn't know very much and didn't know any of the dealers at all at the time.  Then I noticed this guy going from table to table showing a small stack of books to various dealers in the room.  I clearly remember some dealers started following him around the room as he was going through this process.  Sure seemed to have created a bit of excitement at the time and I believe our own @Crowzilla was also there at the time watching some of the action.  :whee:

Left the room after that and then saw him again about a hour later outside the main convention hall as he went outside to make a phone call.  Decided to wait until he got off the phone to see if I could ask what all of the dealers were in a bit of a tizzy about.  Definitely a super nice guy as he had no issues with showing me the stack of GA books with a few Plantinum Age books thrown into the mix.  Apparently he was totally PO with the dealers as he got the impression they were all simply trying to low balled him on his books.  Especially with Metro as Fishler was apparently supposed to bring a copy of the March of Comics #4 to the convention in trade for some of the books as he had been trying to acquire a copy of that book for the longest time.  :mad:  :censored:

I guess this goes to show how popular Donald Duck was with some of the longer term collectors back in the day, plus the fact that it's probably not a good idea to give them the usual run around sometimes. hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Actually, the only reason I was asking was that it sort of reminded me about my first time down at the big SD Con back in the start of the 90's.

Didn't know very much and didn't know any of the dealers at all at the time.  Then I noticed this guy going from table to table showing a small stack of books to various dealers in the room.  I clearly remember some dealers started following him around the room as he was going through this process.  Sure seemed to have created a bit of excitement at the time and I believe our own @Crowzilla was also there at the time watching some of the action.  :whee:

Left the room after that and then saw him again about a hour later outside the main convention hall as he went outside to make a phone call.  Decided to wait until he got off the phone to see if I could ask what all of the dealers were in a bit of a tizzy about.  Definitely a super nice guy as he had no issues with showing me the stack of GA books with a few Plantinum Age books thrown into the mix.  Apparently he was totally PO with the dealers as he got the impression they were all simply trying to low balled him on his books.  Especially with Metro as Fishler was apparently supposed to bring a copy of the March of Comics #4 to the convention in trade for some of the books as he had been trying to acquire a copy of that book for the longest time.  :mad:  :censored:

I guess this goes to show how popular Donald Duck was with some of the longer term collectors back in the day, plus the fact that it's probably not a good idea to give them the usual run around sometimes. hm

Ah...the good ole dealers...:facepalm:  Well, now WE can be dealers right here on the boards and avoid those guys...:banana:

16 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Ah...the good ole dealers...:facepalm:  Well, now WE can be dealers right here on the boards and avoid those guys...:banana:

Actually, it probably had a lot more to do with a sign of the times back then and how the marketplace was at the start of the 90's.  Especially since the entire comic book market including the soon to be red hot SA Marvels basically slumbered through almost the entire decade of the 80's moving pretty much nowhere in terms of their valuations.  zzz

This definitely changed big time with the SA Marvels starting to catch fire at the turn of the 90's before eventually cycling through to the vintage GA back issue comic book market which became so red hot a few short years later and also like how it is nowadays.  By the mid-90's when the GA books were on fire, I still remember the same good ole dealers offering me multiples of guide for a pedigree book sight unseen which I had at the time, on the sole basis that they already had ready buyers available for it even a couple of multiples higher than that.  :screwy:  :whee:

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Actually, it probably had a lot more to do with a sign of the times back then and how the marketplace was at the start of the 90's.  Especially since the entire comic book market including the soon to be red hot SA Marvels basically slumbered through almost the entire decade of the 80's moving pretty much nowhere in terms of their valuations.  zzz

This definitely changed big time with the SA Marvels starting to catch fire at the turn of the 90's before eventually cycling through to the vintage GA back issue comic book market which became so red hot a few short years later and also like how it is nowadays.  By the mid-90's when the GA books were on fire, I still remember the same good ole dealers offering me multiples of guide for a pedigree book sight unseen which I had at the time, on the sole basis that they already had ready buyers available for it even a couple of multiples higher than that.  :screwy:  :whee:

17 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Everyone’s trying to squeeze out every dollar they can get.

Some just squeeze harder...:nyah:

9B20E9B0-D855-4DB8-BACC-468554D987C0.gif.3d7286a83726034bb49bffa04915cf68.gif

645A5A4B-3544-4521-89F8-6683D79FFDA0.gif.66484d4c3e11c73dd013154f33809ce8.gif

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 12:31 PM, N e r V said:

It’s always interesting to me when talk of what the SDCC was and is today comes up. I’ve spent most of my life now living in San Diego but also lived in Los Angeles and San Francisco areas at times as well (among other places) and still have a lot of family and friends living all up and down the state of California including all of the big three (SF, LA, SD).

My point being the changes to the con exist as stated for sure but really little where I live looks or acts much like it did in the 70’s, 80’s or 90’s. It’s a rare thing to find anything that’s still here from back then let alone unchanged. I’m currently back living in a city that I lived in with my family as a kid which had 3,000 as its population when we moved here. Today it’s built out to 70,000+ surrounded by city after city with equal or greater growth.

You all remember the cons good old days well I do too but I also remember lots of open spaces, uncrowded streets, beaches, schools, etc... here. For goodness sakes I walked across part of the I5 drunk as a kid at 2am coming back from a party with little fear of getting hit. I dare anyone to walk across any part of the I5 today at any time. Lol

There was a time when the sleepy beach towns existed in California. Nothing like that exists today. I don’t miss just the old con I miss some of those times. Just sayin’....:nyah:

I started Jr. High in Long Beach in the fall of 1956 and it was a great time for a kid to live there.  My parents would drive down to San Diego on Highway 101 to see an uncle and we would stop along the way to buy pieces of smoked fish at the stands along the highway.  At the time, San Diego was referred to as a sleepy little navy town.  Now there are interstates with heavy traffic 24 hours a day and no smoked fish stands and the politicians call it progress.  I am happy not to live there any more.

Smoked fish! My family used to buy from the roadside stands along PCH every time we went to the beach. That habit ceased when we all got Montezuma's revenge from a bad piece of fish one time.

6 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

SDCC 1975 

Thanks for this video. Love it and I was there. In some respects it seems like a million years ago and some respects like yesterday. 

That stack of EC’s...:luhv:  And most were probably $3-$5. each. One of the first shows I ever saw books in bags. 

8 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

The program for SDCC 1975 

He was definitely right with his last statement:

"And $10 for all 5 days......................my, how times at changed at Comic-Con!!!"  lol  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

19 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I remember walking up to the nice old lady at the card table and paying $2. to get in. 

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

He was definitely right with his last statement:

"And $10 for all 5 days......................my, how times at changed at Comic-Con!!!"  lol  :takeit:

Well gas was just over 50 cents a gallon and homes that exceed 1.5 million today where I’m at were around $40,000.00...:cry: 

Sadly I was only 12  in 1975 and $2.00 was 8 comics and $10.00 was 40 comics.

My first was in 1974 and I had tickets to the 1976 show but couldn’t attend. Not sure what happened in 1975...

On 1/29/2020 at 6:58 PM, Robot Man said:

Was cleaning up from Terry’s show today and ran across these. Probably wrong department but I figured a lot of you older geezers might get a kick out of these. 

First up Pep #601 from 1989. This is when SDCC was at the older, smaller Convention Center. Loved these days. Met Siegel & Shuster, Bob Kane and one of my big favorites Wally Wood among others here. This one pictures the building and features Shel Dorf, John Rodgers and Jackie Estrada in the story. Good times!

CB70C2EA-43AB-4222-A049-E76E9927D980.jpeg

3991C3B4-818D-4DD8-8895-9297F993FFA8.jpeg

0D8EB82E-377A-4BBE-B4D1-5E991EA941F1.jpeg

I've recently been spending some of my down time cataloging my collection, and just noticed that my copy of this issue (Pep #601) is signed. Any ideas on who signed it, and their connection to SDCC and/or the booths depicted in the issue? Thanks!

IMG_1729.jpg.d8b7d3bef6f6800ab6da75a8c91ae74d.jpgIMG_1731.jpg.b31f48e6c895b2fe31364cd5fa3d3e9b.jpgIMG_1730.jpg.a7e01315340e909063841104c696a54c.jpgIMG_1732.jpg.213a892062cdc2de1f3277b66eed2e6f.jpg

Edited by archiecomicscollector
typo