• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie & The Gang go to comic cons...
3 3

64 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

The last time I went was in 1999 or 2000.  I got there around noon and parked across the street from the entrance and started walking toward the convention.   Some guy was walking into the parking lot with a box full of comics, so I asked him if he was done.  He said yeah, and gave me his badge.  :banana: I said thanks and just walked right in. Those were the days...:cloud9:

You mean that you just asked him for his SD Con badge and didn't even bothered to check out his box of comics?  ???

Especially since you never know back in those days.  After all, it might have been a box of valuable comic books which he was trying to sell at the Con, but left in disgust right away when the dealers were trying to low balled him assuming that he didn't know anything about the value of the books at the time.  :mad:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

You mean that you just asked him for his SD Con badge and didn't even bothered to check out his box of comics?  ???

Especially since you never know back in those days.  After all, it might have been a box of valuable comic books which he was trying to sell at the Con, but left in disgust right away when the dealers were trying to low balled him assuming that he didn't know anything about the value of the books at the time.  :mad:  :censored:

I glanced at the box and saw only 70s and 80s stuff.  I also did not ask him for his badge.  He offered it to me...and for the rest of the day all the dealers called me by HIS name because it was on the badge.  EVEN the dealers that were supposed to know my name...:facepalm:

7 hours ago, N e r V said:

It’s always interesting to me when talk of what the SDCC was and is today comes up. I’ve spent most of my life now living in San Diego but also lived in Los Angeles and San Francisco areas at times as well (among other places) and still have a lot of family and friends living all up and down the state of California including all of the big three (SF, LA, SD).

My point being the changes to the con exist as stated for sure but really little where I live looks or acts much like it did in the 70’s, 80’s or 90’s. It’s a rare thing to find anything that’s still here from back then let alone unchanged. I’m currently back living in a city that I lived in with my family as a kid which had 3,000 as its population when we moved here. Today it’s built out to 70,000+ surrounded by city after city with equal or greater growth.

You all remember the cons good old days well I do too but I also remember lots of open spaces, uncrowded streets, beaches, schools, etc... here. For goodness sakes I walked across part of the I5 drunk as a kid at 2am coming back from a party with little fear of getting hit. I dare anyone to walk across any part of the I5 today at any time. Lol

There was a time when the sleepy beach towns existed in California. Nothing like that exists today. I don’t miss just the old con I miss some of those times. Just sayin’....:nyah:

Let me illustrate your point with a couple pics from one of the books I've written...The pics show a certain valley in SD county in the 1980s and then again in 2006.  These illustrate the destruction that has taken place in your county in the name of progress...I also miss the wide open spaces in SD...

=Hab Destruc-Valley of the Kings-San Marcos-1988-BH109A (2).jpg

=Hab Destruc-Valley of the Kings-San Marcos-2006-DSC03598.JPG

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Being a good dad is a wonderful thing. You and I have talked about the importance of our fathers before, particularly in relation to baseball. I was very lucky that my parents were very trusting. And I was very good at giving the impression that I could be trusted. Plus as Nerv said, it was just a different time. In hindsight it probably wasn't the safest thing. I definitely love my dad for making it happen though.

Ron is great and he was also awesome to me back then. I went from 1978-1981 and was at his booth most of that time. Just having a base to hang out when I didn't really know many people. And we did a ton of trading. I got the Larson Mystic 2 from him at one of those shows.

As for the bras, Houston had some free spirited women but there just seemed to be so many more of them in California. 

2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

My first SDCC was 1978. I was 15 and wanted to go, so my dad bought me a plane ticket and gave me his credit card. I flew out by myself. Stayed at the Whitehall hotel. I remember noisy drunk navy guys on Broadway late on Friday night. I remember loving the fact that it seemed like none of the women wore bras. I remember seeing pot for the first time in my life at a dealer's table. I hung out at Ron Pussell's table for most of the show as we had been corresponding through the CBG. The whole experience still seems magical and certainly inspired so many of the subsequent events of my life.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Man, your dad must have either very cool, crazy or trusted you a lot. But what you’ve said about him, maybe a little of all three. Sounds like an amazing guy. My dad was too but none of the above. I probably gave him good reason. :devil:. I was probably one of those guys along with Redbeard who had the pot...B|. I doubt my dad even had a credit card and certainly you’d have given me any money for comics. But he had a big heart and loved the heck out of us. I sure miss him. I think both our dads would be happy how we turned out...

Redbeard is still a good friend. He taught me a lot about comics and business. We had some wonderful times there that I sure miss. 

And wern’t there any braless women in Houston???

Funny I was just watching that Linda Ronstadt documentary that was recently released and noticed she wasn’t wearing a bra a lot during those 1970’s interviews. I’m about Bedrocks age so growing up with bra less women was one of the perks being a youngster in the 1970’s...:x 

29 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Funny I was just watching that Linda Ronstadt documentary that was recently released and noticed she wasn’t wearing a bra a lot during those 1970’s interviews. I’m about Bedrocks age so growing up with bra less women was one of the perks being a youngster in the 1970’s...:x 

Linda Ronstadt what beautiful eyes and a voice to make a guy weak in the knees. :x

And braless...( . )( . )

14 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Linda Ronstadt what beautiful eyes and a voice to make a guy weak in the knees. :x

And braless...( . )( . )

Yeah, her and Stevie Nicks were great teen crushes to have back then. You should check out the documentary below.

76A2E218-F23E-484F-A0F4-E302A0DE08B6.thumb.jpeg.d975df90ef8688975a144bfd520f9735.jpeg

7B385538-DC8F-4DA6-AF46-DCC254F097C9.thumb.jpeg.b0d4e3832b106425e7ea8c53ae605996.jpeg

D95A7D55-37A7-45FE-8FA3-6E4FF0C2D557.jpeg.9a1f747d8bf0244c37cfeb75b5cab2d3.jpeg

CA24B138-B6A4-4721-A57E-8D2D0A0D2010.thumb.jpeg.fc61a8ffdbea66beba8fbf4a988af63a.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Let me illustrate your point with a couple pics from one of the books I've written...The pics show a certain valley in SD county in the 1980s and then again in 2006.  These illustrate the destruction that has taken place in your county in the name of progress...I also miss the wide open spaces in SD...

=Hab Destruc-Valley of the Kings-San Marcos-1988-BH109A (2).jpg

=Hab Destruc-Valley of the Kings-San Marcos-2006-DSC03598.JPG

Yeah it’s even more dramatic as you head back into the 1970’s. Some areas like the downtown have improved however since the early SDCC’s were in a pretty seedy downtown district. I’m just glad I grew up here when I did since there were a ton of open areas for a kid to play and still be near an ocean. Going to open areas today requires a drive inland. 

2 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Yeah it’s even more dramatic as you head back into the 1970’s. Some areas like the downtown have improved however since the early SDCC’s were in a pretty seedy downtown district. I’m just glad I grew up here when I did since there were a ton of open areas for a kid to play and still be near an ocean. Going to open areas today requires a drive inland. 

Sorrento Valley still has a lot of open space...

12 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Sorrento Valley still has a lot of open space...

I still enjoy heading up to Ramona or Julian (pies!) if I want some “country” feel too. Still fun driving through Rancho Santa Fe as well. Not everything here is unrecognizable. My family has been in California for a very long time in one form or another. We have family photos from the 1920’s, 1930’s, 1940’s and 1950’s in Los Angeles and San Diego that look nothing like it is today.

Edited by N e r V

6 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I still enjoy heading up to Ramona or Julian (pies!) if I want some “country” feel too. Still fun driving through Rancho Santa Fe as well. Not everything here is unrecognizable. My family has been in California for a very long time in one form or another. We have family photos from the 1920’s, 1930’s, 1940’s and 1950’s in Los Angeles and San Diego that look nothing like it us today.

Yeah, I love the Laguna Mtns and Julian area.  I'm a transplant from CA to AZ.  I still spend about a third of my time in CA.  I'm a reptile seeker/photographer, and I remember back in the late 70s and throughout the 80s the Carlsbad area was a grassy wonderland.  Now you need to look at google earth just to find the last open spaces in the north county...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

12 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Yeah, I love the Laguna Mtns and Julian area.  I'm a transplant from CA to AZ.  I still spend about a third of my time in CA.  I'm a reptile seeker/photographer, and I remember back in the late 70s and throughout the 80s the Carlsbad area was a grassy wonderland.  Now you need to look at google earth just to find the last open spaces in the north county...

My mom was dating a western artist during the 1970’s/80’s period so I spent some time in Scottsdale. Arizona has changed a whole lot too since those days!

15 hours ago, N e r V said:

Yeah, her and Stevie Nicks were great teen crushes to have back then. You should check out the documentary below.

76A2E218-F23E-484F-A0F4-E302A0DE08B6.thumb.jpeg.d975df90ef8688975a144bfd520f9735.jpeg

7B385538-DC8F-4DA6-AF46-DCC254F097C9.thumb.jpeg.b0d4e3832b106425e7ea8c53ae605996.jpeg

D95A7D55-37A7-45FE-8FA3-6E4FF0C2D557.jpeg.9a1f747d8bf0244c37cfeb75b5cab2d3.jpeg

CA24B138-B6A4-4721-A57E-8D2D0A0D2010.thumb.jpeg.fc61a8ffdbea66beba8fbf4a988af63a.jpeg

That bottom photo is it for me. The Cub Scout photo is classic too. Even as an old man, I still have a crush on her. So sad with what she is going through now. 

13 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

August is the best because it has been raining and it's all green and cooler (at least in the canyon)...of course, if you just want "cool" and not green, then October is OK...

I’m sure it is but with an average of 94 with the record high being 110 it can get a little warm. I have a number of stunning pictures taken in places around the world in simply awful temperature conditions. Lol

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

I’m sure it is but with an average of 94 with the record high being 110 it can get a little warm. I have a number of stunning pictures taken in places around the world in simply awful temperature conditions. Lol

I've only seen 100 degrees in the canyon once.  It was in July.  But, I go there to see reptiles, so I want it a little warm...but after a monsoon shower it's real nice.  You need to get into reptiles...a whole new world for you to explore...LOL