• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 1 Todd Signing Grade
2 2

31 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2020 at 9:16 PM, Rayzor13 said:

On Monday afternoon I saw that the ASM 1 Silver variant I sent in for the Todd signing received a 9.4.  Obviously I was disappointed as I was sure it would receive a 9.8 or at worst a 9.6 if the grader was having a bad day.   I also thought, ok, the grader’s are probably being pushed to pump through these as fast as possible, maybe they took their frustrations out on my one lone issue?

However, I reminded myself that I’m not a pro grader and I must have missed something OR since I didn’t window bag the book (don’t ask), maybe it was damaged somewhere in the process.  Well I received the book back today and still can’t see any defect(s) to warrant the grade it received.  Worse, there are no grader notes giving any explanation.  So, I am tempted to send the book back in for a re-grade just to see if it would somehow come back at a higher grade.  However, the rational part of me says let it go, sell it and buy a 9.8 off Ebay for $150’ish.  Either way, I lose money.   What do you all think?

There's a rather obvious defect with the corner. Not saying it couldn't be a 9.8, but I would not at all see it as a given. There is such little difference between a 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 on moderns that unless your book looks immaculate (which this one doesn't) it could land on either of those depending on how that corner is interpreted.

Edited by William-James88

On 1/31/2020 at 7:33 PM, KryptoSpidey said:

This back cover bottom corner looks creased vertically(it actually looks like it goes as far "north" as the word GUNS or higher..... It's likely the problem from what i see....clearly something going on there that edge about 1/2 inch in

A560774E-1B0A-44F3-8AC9-544157236FEC.jpeg.1620c3a26d5dadda30e0136de414e8a1.jpeg

I see it too I think that might be the issue if its a crease I would send it in for a pressing did you get the pressing done with the SS? that might be the issue you might be able to salvage a 9.8 if you can verify that the bend/crease is there.

also was this issue in the poly bags or was it the variant? could the poly bag have affected it and the famous poly bag line?

40 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

also was this issue in the poly bags or was it the variant? could the poly bag have affected it and the famous poly bag line?

The poly bag line is more in the center. This looks like a book where either the Silver Age and modern age boards were mixed together, or there were boarded and unboarded books in the same box and the seam from the board got longbox-pressed in.

30 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

The poly bag line is more in the center. This looks like a book where either the Silver Age and modern age boards were mixed together, or there were boarded and unboarded books in the same box and the seam from the board got longbox-pressed in.

that's what I thought was just wondering if anyone came across a poly bag where the seam was off from the center and on the edge by chance.. but I was leaning towards the wrong backing board used and it compressed over time either from stacking or long box etc.. 

On 2/4/2020 at 8:59 AM, Krismusic said:

Has $1.75 price on cover.... not a polybag edition.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 11:29 PM, Rayzor13 said:

Wow, you guys are good - not sure how I missed it, but there is a slight, non-color breaking  crease running almost the full length on the back cover.  A press would easily have taken care of it.  

😖

It still can.