• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 1 Todd Signing Grade
2 2

31 posts in this topic

On Monday afternoon I saw that the ASM 1 Silver variant I sent in for the Todd signing received a 9.4.  Obviously I was disappointed as I was sure it would receive a 9.8 or at worst a 9.6 if the grader was having a bad day.   I also thought, ok, the grader’s are probably being pushed to pump through these as fast as possible, maybe they took their frustrations out on my one lone issue?

However, I reminded myself that I’m not a pro grader and I must have missed something OR since I didn’t window bag the book (don’t ask), maybe it was damaged somewhere in the process.  Well I received the book back today and still can’t see any defect(s) to warrant the grade it received.  Worse, there are no grader notes giving any explanation.  So, I am tempted to send the book back in for a re-grade just to see if it would somehow come back at a higher grade.  However, the rational part of me says let it go, sell it and buy a 9.8 off Ebay for $150’ish.  Either way, I lose money.   What do you all think?

I sent in 16 comics for this signing without window bags ( Don't mind explaining why) and all but three came back as 9.8... other three 9.6. (expected with two of those). CGC took good care of my submissions despite my misstep.

3 hours ago, Rayzor13 said:

On Monday afternoon I saw that the ASM 1 Silver variant I sent in for the Todd signing received a 9.4.  Obviously I was disappointed as I was sure it would receive a 9.8 or at worst a 9.6 if the grader was having a bad day.   I also thought, ok, the grader’s are probably being pushed to pump through these as fast as possible, maybe they took their frustrations out on my one lone issue?

However, I reminded myself that I’m not a pro grader and I must have missed something OR since I didn’t window bag the book (don’t ask), maybe it was damaged somewhere in the process.  Well I received the book back today and still can’t see any defect(s) to warrant the grade it received.  Worse, there are no grader notes giving any explanation.  So, I am tempted to send the book back in for a re-grade just to see if it would somehow come back at a higher grade.  However, the rational part of me says let it go, sell it and buy a 9.8 off Ebay for $150’ish.  Either way, I lose money.   What do you all think?

I assume you are referring to Spider-Man 1 from 1990 and not Amazing Spider-Man. If so, did you send in the Silver regular edition or the Silver Poly-bagged version? Reason I ask is that the Poly-bagged version will leave an impression on the cover where the plastic is heat sealed. It's very subtle, but is enough to lower the grade. I had one myself that came back at a 8.5, but once I had it pressed it returned as a 9.8. Did you pay for a press? If it's none of the above, then you'll have to chalk it up to the experts. There are many factors both inside & cover of the book that plays into it. I doubt it has anything to do with a grader having a bad day. Would not spend the money to re-grade, as it will likely come back the same.

6 hours ago, Rayzor13 said:

1990 version, unsure whether originally bagged or not as bought 2nd hand.  

If the SM 1 was polybag edition it would not have the $1.75 price on the cover. I sent in two polybag copies and had them pressed because of the seal line down the center back cover.... Came back 9.8 & 9.6

I would just sell it and buy a 9.8 copy if that's what you really want.. you can lose more and not get a 9.8 if you try to resub chances are there might be something you missed that they found etc.. so many variables. 

Some board members have eagle eyes and if you upload high quality scans or pics they might be able to find out why it got 9.4

11 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Can you give us some non-glare images? We may be able to spot the defect(s).

Sorry for the delay.  These are as good as I can get.  I realize slabbed pics are difficult to judge, but If you see something I’d like to know so I can at least learn from this experience.  

A7AE9F70-9022-4714-B74B-42D460959A6F.jpeg

0C402DE2-9071-45A6-A98C-7B7B599997FE.jpeg

D4428A76-B1E6-44A6-A02E-E23B2BD002A9.jpeg

D4B9B894-A5CF-4DD0-8762-BBA158E09A28.jpeg

E9E3C785-5A65-4F4B-A6D0-520E1B931DCC.jpeg

6616FFB5-CFB6-4E18-A419-A60D1FFF6730.jpeg

9F17154B-B23F-4940-9CEF-00228B9694E3.jpeg

312BD44B-97C5-469A-920F-117AB4A78A28.jpeg

4C1263EE-7D46-47D6-9314-600AA00E69FD.jpeg

4FA63EAB-37FD-4DD0-B86A-28A256DC12C5.jpeg

77923F1E-64BE-40CA-B578-F206F90F0EA6.jpeg

B09747AD-4FDB-4800-A4FE-B54EF2BAEDFD.jpeg

A560774E-1B0A-44F3-8AC9-544157236FEC.jpeg

FA39015C-2C7E-46B3-8160-1809BB48899E.jpeg

F6E6B36D-B9DA-42A2-AE09-09D2AE578A32.jpeg

11 hours ago, Rayzor13 said:

Sorry for the delay.  These are as good as I can get.  I realize slabbed pics are difficult to judge, but If you see something I’d like to know so I can at least learn from this experience. 

No worries. It looks like the front right corners may not be sharp. Could be an optical illusion, as they appear sharp on the back cover. I could see anywhere between 9.4-9.8 on this.

I could be that they don't see the top left corner as a bindery defect.

6 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
18 hours ago, Rayzor13 said:

No worries. It looks like the front right corners may not be sharp. Could be an optical illusion, as they appear sharp on the back cover. I could see anywhere between 9.4-9.8 on this.

I could be that they don't see the top left corner as a bindery defect.

Graders aren't perfect or absolutely consistent in every case too.  Or you might have gotten unlucky with the Todd signing and even while this one might look good, the grader might have just reviewed like 10 copies of the exact same comic that just 'felt' more perfect than this one.  Could be one or two minor interior imperfections as well.

even the best CGC submitters miss stuff, even the best CGC graders miss stuff.  I wouldn't regrade, you'd need a two grade bump to maybe be worth it.

I guess I would say this:  How many books has the OP submitted, and what is his hit rate on CGC 9.8's?  Also, it is def frustrating when you're sure a book is perfect, you get a low grade AND they don't provide notes.  That super sucks

2 hours ago, revat said:

Graders aren't perfect or absolutely consistent in every case too.  Or you might have gotten unlucky with the Todd signing and even while this one might look good, the grader might have just reviewed like 10 copies of the exact same comic that just 'felt' more perfect than this one.  Could be one or two minor interior imperfections as well.

even the best CGC submitters miss stuff, even the best CGC graders miss stuff.  I wouldn't regrade, you'd need a two grade bump to maybe be worth it.

I guess I would say this:  How many books has the OP submitted, and what is his hit rate on CGC 9.8's?  Also, it is def frustrating when you're sure a book is perfect, you get a low grade AND they don't provide notes.  That super sucks

I haven’t submitted too many and in fact this is the first one I thought had a good chance of hitting a 9.8 (which is why I submitted it for the Todd signing).  The fact that there are no grader notes, plus the fact that I’ve seen several 9.8’s that had more obvious flaws and that I banked on winding up with a Todd signed 9.8 all snow ball together into a big ball of #%*+.  BUT I understand and can’t argue with everyone’s advice.  Just got unlucky this time I guess.  I will probably sell this one and buy a 9.8.  🙄

This back cover bottom corner looks creased vertically(it actually looks like it goes as far "north" as the word GUNS or higher..... It's likely the problem from what i see....clearly something going on there that edge about 1/2 inch in

A560774E-1B0A-44F3-8AC9-544157236FEC.jpeg.1620c3a26d5dadda30e0136de414e8a1.jpeg

Edited by KryptoSpidey

I sent in three graded books so obviously no window bags. 

Two Spider-man 1's at 9.8 both silver and green.... they came both back at 9.8.

One ASM 301 at a 9.4 that came back as a 9.4...

Window bags?  I don't do window bags and I don't crack out my own books. 

21 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Window bags?  I don't do window bags and I don't crack out my own books. 

Window bags were a requirement for raw submissions... apparently CGC worked around this since I sent mine with standard bag and board (all received high grades). It was my first SS and didn't realize what a window bag was. I don't care for them and in the future would use a bag that exposed the whole cover. I feel the artist should choose where to sign.

Edited by jokiing
edit

2 minutes ago, jokiing said:

Window bags were a requirement for raw submissions... apparently CGC worked around this since I sent mine with standard bag and board (all received high grades). It was my first SS and didn't realize what a window bag was. I don't care for them and in the future would use a bag that exposed the whole cover. I feel the artist should choose where to sign.

No... That is not true.  Window bags were not a requirement.  I called and asked that question when I thought about sending a couple of raw copies down there. 

2 hours ago, KryptoSpidey said:

This back cover bottom corner looks creased vertically(it actually looks like it goes as far "north" as the word GUNS or higher..... It's likely the problem from what i see....clearly something going on there that edge about 1/2 inch in

Good catch.... I see it going all the way to the top.

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

No... That is not true.  Window bags were not a requirement.  I called and asked that question when I thought about sending a couple of raw copies down there. 

OK.... Maybe it was just a suggestion. I thought I erred when I learned what the bag was after the fact.