• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

13th Annual March Madness CGC Grading Tournament - Signup
11 11

249 posts in this topic

I love how this is still going and I wish we were having one this year!

It should be brought back if for nothing else but by popular demand! I fell for it too, until I did a double take on the date the thread was started. 

It takes a lot of work to put one of these things on and I hope one day we will have another one. Here's an idea, maybe the CGC could supply the scans for us? I think they said it takes about 40 books or so to put on the contest? If it happens again count me in! One year I made it to the Sweet Sixteen! (Sill proud of that, truthfully, I got lucky on a couple of grades :gossip:)

But seriously it really, really helped my grading skills. This one and the GreenHam one helped me out so much over the years. They helped me keep my grading skills sharp, as I found each year, the 10-12 months in between contests that I needed to re calibrate as I gradually slid back into my old habit of under-grading books. I'm much too harsh. 

18 minutes ago, flashlites said:

It should be brought back if for nothing else but by popular demand! I fell for it too, until I did a double take on the date the thread was started. 

It takes a lot of work to put one of these things on and I hope one day we will have another one. Here's an idea, maybe the CGC could supply the scans for us? I think they said it takes about 40 books or so to put on the contest? If it happens again count me in! One year I made it to the Sweet Sixteen! (Sill proud of that, truthfully, I got lucky on a couple of grades :gossip:)

But seriously it really, really helped my grading skills. This one and the GreenHam one helped me out so much over the years. They helped me keep my grading skills sharp, as I found each year, the 10-12 months in between contests that I needed to re calibrate as I gradually slid back into my old habit of under-grading books. I'm much too harsh. 

I'll miss it too, the comradery and feeling of belonging,  whether you were good or not, it leveled the playing field for those who were new, unadjusted, and or people looking to hone they're grading along with social skills.

The reason I remembered it ended was more on good terms, it being because of the math and spreadsheet to tally the score. So if it ended, it ended on good terms, and possibly could be resurrected when the right attitude and capable people come along...

Just my thoughts

28 minutes ago, flashlites said:

I learned that Andy gets gift grades. 

After all these years, you all wondered how I obtained my expert grading skills. Now revealed, here's the secret to my success:

Also, I want to point out, this is not a violation of Rule #1. :smile:

1. Do not talk about the books in this thread or any other thread. Do not talk to your wife about these books. Do not talk to your co-workers about these books. Do not talk to your dog about these books.

Says nothing about kids.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Are we on hold for the contest?

Andy, there is no March Mad. contest this year.

Someone necro'd last year's thread.  Half the posts since then show that members didn't realize it was a necro-thread, and not announcement of a 2021 contest.

So there are a lot of replies that suggest MM is still on for 2021.  "I'm in!"  But it's all, pardon the expression, fake news.

Edited by grebal

1 hour ago, grebal said:

Andy, there is no March Mad. contest this year.

Someone necro'd last year's thread.  Half the posts since then show that members didn't realize it was a necro-thread, and not announcement of a 2021 contest.

So there are a lot of replies that suggest MM is still on for 2021.  "I'm in!"  But it's all, pardon the expression, fake news.

Thanks for the update.  I kept looking in the grading section and saw nothing and was worried I was just missing it somewhere.  I'm not sure why I was so sad at missing it actually - I typically was struggling to stay in the middle of the pack!

Edited by 1Cool

11 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Thanks for the update.  I kept looking in the grading section and saw nothing and was worried I was just missing it somewhere.  I'm not sure why I was so sad at missing it actually - I typically was struggling to stay in the middle of the pack!

I hear you, man. These days we take the social interactions that we can get. Maybe that's part of it. 

Or maybe just the geek runs strong in you. ; )