• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hottest Era of Comics! Can you pick which one has been hottest?

33 posts in this topic

Ok - this is just for fun but also kind of informative.  Considering the following 5 categories of books can you correctly guess which has been the hottest (or at least easiest to sell) on E-Bay over the last 3 months?

Modern, Copper, Bronze, Silver and Gold

Defining hotness is always subjective but I'm going to define hotness as the total number of items up for sale vs the total items which sold over the last 3 month as of a few minutes ago.  There is some items misplaced in the wrong category which could effect things a bit but for a fun comparison it will do.  Please post up your guesses from hottest to least hot and I'll post up the answers tonight. 

Edited by 1Cool

If we're talking items sold vs items available I'd guess that Bronze Age is hottest and Modern Age is coldest.  e.g.  The largest percentage of items available that sold would be Bronze and lowest percentage would be Modern.  Though I would guess Copper would be close to Bronze and might even exceed it.

Here was my guesses before seeing the outcomes:

1. Gold

2. Modern

3. Copper

4. Bronze

5. Silver

With the limited number of items up for sale and how hot they are at cons and here on the boards I'd think there would be a high rate of purchases in the gold section.  There is obviously a ton of modern stuff up for sale but this section seems to be very hot with a ton of $1 / $2 sales so I thought this section would be next.  There seems to be a ton of books in demand in copper with Bronze and Silver keys getting too expensive for most so copper was next and Bronze/Silver was a toss up.  Just way too much filler items up in the bronze / silver section for me to put them higher.

I would guess, 

1. modern

2. bronze

3. SA

4. GA

5. Copper

everyone loves the spec game and moderns have a huge amount of sales even with large values on some of them thank to CGC SS, high grade hunting 9.8's(gems and mints), etc.. 

then bronze as affordable "minor" key looking books such as converting Hulk 180 to a minor key and driving the value up, etc.. 

SA investment key range so need a bit more to spend as investment cash which wouldn't turn over so quickly as hitting bronze of modern books in speculation modes... 

GA - can never afford a key only for heavy long term collectors... might be able to do runs without keys (hmm) 

Edited by Krismusic

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's what they used to say about pennies...

what are pennies they do not exist in Canada... I'm serious Canada discontinued the penny years ago lol 

Just now, Krismusic said:

what are pennies they do not exist in Canada... I'm serious Canada discontinued the penny years ago lol 

No idea - I'm more of a California dime guy myself.

11 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

copper no one wants.

Ebay's definition of Copper is 1984-1991, so that's ASM #252, #300, New Mutants #87, #98, Spider-man #1 (1990), Infinity Gauntlet, Killing Joke, Secret Wars 8, Hulk #340, Wolverine #1 (regular, 1988).  Just those 10 books cluster at the top of the CGC most-submitted list.

Edit: I forgot X-Men #266, so that's 11 books inside the Top 25, or if you skip Hulk #340 (at #25), Copper Age (1984-1991) has 10 of the top 18.

Edited by valiantman

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Ebay's definition of Copper is 1984-1991, so that's ASM #252, #300, New Mutants #87, #98, Spider-man #1 (1990), Infinity Gauntlet, Killing Joke, Secret Wars 8, Hulk #340, Wolverine #1 (regular, 1988).  Just those 10 books cluster at the top of the CGC most-submitted list.

I guess if I go with that definition I am wrong and will edit my copper thing I always put copper as 90's+ 

1 minute ago, Krismusic said:
7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I guess if I go with that definition I am wrong and will edit my copper thing I always put copper as 90's+ 

It seems like Copper Age would be the least-accurately used category on Ebay because many people just call everything 1980s+ "Modern" or they expect more potential buyers in the larger category (almost 30 years for Modern) vs. a specific 7-year category called "Copper".

Since the original question is related to the percentage that are actually sold, then the question is basically "which Ebay category has the most overpriced books" or "which Ebay category has the most books not worth the shipping cost" since those are the two most-consistent reasons any comic book doesn't sell.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

What the...

yeah they round up change or round down to the nearest 5 cents now only on visa or debit transactions will it do it to the penny. They removed the penny as it cost more to produce the penny then the actual monetary value attached and it was a financial burden.

4 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

yeah they round up change or round down to the nearest 5 cents now only on visa or debit transactions will it do it to the penny. They removed the penny as it cost more to produce the penny then the actual monetary value attached and it was a financial burden.

Canada just told inflation to hold their beer...

30 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It seems like Copper Age would be the least-accurately used category on Ebay because many people just call everything 1980s+ "Modern" or they expect more potential buyers in the larger category (almost 30 years for Modern) vs. a specific 7-year category called "Copper".

Since the original question is related to the percentage that are actually sold, then the question is basically "which Ebay category has the most overpriced books" or "which Ebay category has the most books not worth the shipping cost" since those are the two most-consistent reasons any comic book doesn't sell.

I hadn't considered the 'not worth the shipping cost' part of the equation.  Can I change my guess?

3 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

I hadn't considered the 'not worth the shipping cost' part of the equation.  Can I change my guess?

Sure - not a test so answers can always be changed.

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
6 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Sure - not a test so answers can always be changed.

Ok then lets go with SA or GA at the top (all are worth shipping) CA and MA near the bottom (very few worth the shipping cost).  BA in the middle.

EDIT:  It would also be interesting to see what percentage of comics in each age are listed BIN vs auction.

Edited by thunsicker