• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hindsight is 2020...
4 4

30 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:
31 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Why not send the 2015 Gray's Sports Almanac to an ancestor in 1955? (shrug)

:kidaround:

Cause I hate sports and Back to the Future rules don't apply :P

I have thought about time travel as much as any other nerd (well, maybe more than some nerds), and I realized you wouldn't just need information from the future, you'd need money (or something of major value).  I believe the thing that solves both problems is to take the knowledge you already have about things (whatever you're interested in, comics, sports, world events, etc.), and to have a pocket full of lab-created diamonds.  They're identical to diamonds, flawless, and much, much cheaper.  They pass all (old-timey) jeweler's tests as real diamonds and they're easy to carry to the past.  Travel the country (or the world) selling diamonds to pawn shops and jewelers and buy comics (sportscards, rare coins, whatever) at shops, drug stores, and newsstands.  Before you go, pick a property in your home town that you know hasn't been visited for 100 years and that will be your hiding spot for all your loot. (thumbsu 

Edited by valiantman

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I have thought about time travel as much as any other nerd (well, maybe more than some nerds), and I realized you wouldn't just need information from the future, you'd need money (or something of major value).  I believe the thing that solves both problems is to take the knowledge you already have about things (whatever you're interested in, comics, sports, world events, etc.), and to have a pocket full of lab-created diamonds.  They're identical to diamonds, flawless, and much, much cheaper.  They pass all (old-timey) jeweler's tests as real diamonds and they're easy to carry to the past.  Travel the country (or the world) selling diamonds to pawn shops and jewelers and buy comics (sportscards, rare coins, whatever) at shops, drug stores, and newsstands.  Before you go, pick a property in your home town that you know hasn't been visited for 100 years and that will be your hiding spot for all your loot. (thumbsu 

If I ever figure time travel out, you are definitely the first person I am going to call :D

37 minutes ago, valiantman said:

or simply look up the lotto numbers for the big draw.. winner!! but yeah bringing back jewellery to use as your past currency to invest in good that you know will be worth a ton is a good idea.. but what happens when you travel to the future and it has changed as the future you live in is gone.. as the slightest change can have complied effects and unforeseen consequences. 

Like, lets say shop owners notice this middle aged dude buying all the AC 1, AF 15, Tec comics in large bundles and notes that a dude has a tons of these comics and gets wise and stores a box or more of them himself and later when you travel back you find the books worthless as shop keeper kept 10000 more perfectly minty comics in storage or people know there's a Valiant man pedigree collection with a ton of minty books out there it could affect the rarity and value etc.. and wonder where this valiant man is...how did he disappear for many years and suddenly show up again... how will you justify this? 

with the detectives we have on this forum, ohh boy good luck getting time traveling goods past them specially in large quantities. This could alter you current future and you can end up your own flashpoint.... dun dun dunnnnnn…. lol

sorry had to have a little fun :whee:

Edited by Krismusic

34 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Yes, but it's a movie-based replica: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Back-to-the-future-1-zbox-grays-sports-almanac-varient/223809691607

Fun fact, Back To The Future II showed the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series in 2015 (which they hadn't won in 100 years).  The Cubs actually won in 2016.

...Cubs win in 4 game sweep vs unnamed Miami team :whistle: (symbolized by a gator) (:

The 20 year block characterization makes sense. The 90's are a blur though. Another positive from certification is that it torpedoed restoration. Attempting it wouldn't make as much sense today as when people were paying top dollar for uncertified raw copies. I think maybe people have gotten better at spotting it as well 🧐

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

I was generally asking the question "What would a non-collector understand about each 20-year block of time?" and "DC", "Marvel", and "Independents" accurately reflect what "rose to prominence" (even for non-collectors) in those 20-year blocks.  Comic book movies have risen to unbelievable heights during the past 20-years, while things like CGC, Ebay, and the internet (in general) have been impactful across the entire 80-years of comic book output - not specifically to comics printed 2000s-2010s.

Umm... movies are not comic books and are no more specifically relevant to the comics from the past 20 years than CGC, feeBay, etc.

The mindboggling explosion of variants aimed at separating an ever-dwindling group of fools customers from more of their money is actually relevant.

3 hours ago, Krismusic said:

or simply look up the lotto numbers for the big draw.. winner!! but yeah bringing back jewellery to use as your past currency to invest in good that you know will be worth a ton is a good idea.. but what happens when you travel to the future and it has changed as the future you live in is gone.. as the slightest change can have complied effects and unforeseen consequences. 

Like, lets say shop owners notice this middle aged dude buying all the AC 1, AF 15, Tec comics in large bundles and notes that a dude has a tons of these comics and gets wise and stores a box or more of them himself and later when you travel back you find the books worthless as shop keeper kept 10000 more perfectly minty comics in storage or people know there's a Valiant man pedigree collection with a ton of minty books out there it could affect the rarity and value etc.. and wonder where this valiant man is...how did he disappear for many years and suddenly show up again... how will you justify this? 

with the detectives we have on this forum, ohh boy good luck getting time traveling goods past them specially in large quantities. This could alter you current future and you can end up your own flashpoint.... dun dun dunnnnnn…. lol

sorry had to have a little fun :whee:

Just like you wouldn't sell all the diamonds to the same shop, you wouldn't buy bundles of comics.  One at a time, nothing unusual.  Lottery winning numbers is a good call, though, but you should only win once. You can buy as much stock as you can afford, though. People don't think Warren Buffett is a time-traveler. :foryou:

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Umm... movies are not comic books and are no more specifically relevant to the comics from the past 20 years than CGC, feeBay, etc.

The mindboggling explosion of variants aimed at separating an ever-dwindling group of fools customers from more of their money is actually relevant.

This is a good point, but I disagree. Comics were "modernized" starting in 2000 (Ultimate lines) to match modern re-tellings / re-imagining of origins in the movies. The books were created in the hope of having movie goers jump onboard. The fact that it failed didn't mean they didn't spend 20 years trying.