• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could commission Jack Kirby what would you get?
1 1

73 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2020 at 10:29 AM, Blastaar said:

Let's say you take a time machine back to 1977 and have the opportunity to commission the King. What would you request? After that you can hop back in your time machine and add it to the commission thread. One commission, 11x17, pencil only, two characters max, limited background. You get to pick the scenario and characters.

back-to-the-future-delorean-600.jpg.61e9d1ec623e311760244be9e659b1f5.jpg

100 new issues of the Fantastic Four

Jack Kirby's work is the link that prompted the Eastman/Laird partnership which ultimately led to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  I'd have considered asking him for a Ninja Turtle, but I'm a very lucky individual.

Since that box is checked, I'd have to go with Thing fighting Dr. Doom. :cloud9:

On 2/13/2020 at 8:57 AM, Turtle said:

Jack Kirby's work is the link that prompted the Eastman/Laird partnership which ultimately led to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  I'd have considered asking him for a Ninja Turtle, but I'm a very lucky individual.

Since that box is checked, I'd have to go with Thing fighting Dr. Doom. :cloud9:

This is Fantastic! I was under the impression that his work began to suffer in the late 80's, but this being 92' shows that he was as impressive as ever. 

30 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

This is Fantastic! I was under the impression that his work began to suffer in the late 80's, but this being 92' shows that he was as impressive as ever. 

According to some, Jack very best work was the same week he passed. YMMV lol

3 hours ago, Blastaar said:

So in the case of the TMNT piece you have 3 artist signing off on it (Kirby, Eastman, Thibodeaux). Would be hard to imagine that he didn't work on it...right?

This?

image.png.d142f590223cd18c9f628b825ecc90f0.png

To be blunt...you're looking at a wonderful Thibodeaux/Eastman (on their respective characters) production here. Did Jack hold a pencil, push it around somewhere on a piece of paper making some marks? Sure, why not, my cat can do that too, but nobody would have bought either of them. It took the other two guys to make it look like anything worth owning. And that signature...might as well have used a stamp (copyright Thibodeaux?)...it's not Jack's and it's nothing Jack could do in 1992/93/94. Even a decade earlier things were getting...shaky.

4 hours ago, vodou said:

This?

image.png.d142f590223cd18c9f628b825ecc90f0.png

To be blunt...you're looking at a wonderful Thibodeaux/Eastman (on their respective characters) production here. Did Jack hold a pencil, push it around somewhere on a piece of paper making some marks? Sure, why not, my cat can do that too, but nobody would have bought either of them. It took the other two guys to make it look like anything worth owning. And that signature...might as well have used a stamp (copyright Thibodeaux?)...it's not Jack's and it's nothing Jack could do in 1992/93/94. Even a decade earlier things were getting...shaky.

Lol still going at it weeks later eh?! You seriously can’t get over with someone not agreeing with you ?

“Push around the pencil on a piece of paper and make marks”  - Vodou‘s excellent display of facts - as usual hahah 😂 .. 

“Its not Jack and nothing Jack could do in 92 93 94” - still waiting for facts to back up your statements loll

12 hours ago, vodou said:

According to some, Jack very best work was the same week he passed. YMMV lol

And you must be getting slow. Where did anyone saying he was drawing better in that other post? You said he couldn’t draw after 85- i proved you wrong and now your saying the conversation was about him drawing better later in life?

Get a life dude lol

Edited by RICKYBOBBY
Spelling

7 hours ago, Blastaar said:

So in the case of the TMNT piece you have 3 artist signing off on it (Kirby, Eastman, Thibodeaux). Would be hard to imagine that he didn't work on it...right?

I talked to Thibodeaux specifically about this piece - firstly - Eastman didn’t draw anything on this piece. Vodou has no clue what he’s talking about (making things up as usual). Secondly, Thibodeaux penciled the monster but Mikey is all Kirby. There is 0 reason for Thibodeaux to lie about this as no one is trying to hide that his health was ailing and there is 0 monetary gain. 
Did Thibodeaux help make it look cleaner when he inked it? 
Absolutely

Gnite zzz

I'm doing a cheat here. If I was commissioning The King with investment/flip in mind, I'd have him draw Captain America vs Red Skull with the American flag and a Na'zi (insert Aldo Raine voice) banner draped in the background.

Of Kirby's creations, O.M.A.C. is my fave so how could I not? Brother Eye would have to be in the background.

If I was going for something with personal meaning, I'd have Kirby pay a homage to his cover to Super Powers #6 (v. 2, 1985). Not a recreation, but a homage to Superman battling Darkseid with Earth in the background. Of course, I'd have to travel back to 1977 and then wait around for 8 years as a man out of time for that to happen.

I don't do commissions often, but I do get to tempted to see how artists will interpret a character that I think is good fit for them, but they have never drawn. In this case, I think He-Man would be a good fit for Jack. But He-Man's design itself, although iconic, is kinda boring, so I'd have Jack draw He-Man riding a Wind Raider to get that Jack Kirby vehicle in there.