• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could commission Jack Kirby what would you get?
1 1

73 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

Lol still going at it weeks later eh?! You seriously can’t get over with someone not agreeing with you ?

“Push around the pencil on a piece of paper and make marks”  - Vodou‘s excellent display of facts - as usual hahah 😂 .. 

“Its not Jack and nothing Jack could do in 92 93 94” - still waiting for facts to back up your statements loll

And you must be getting slow. Where did anyone saying he was drawing better in that other post? You said he couldn’t draw after 85- i proved you wrong and now your saying the conversation was about him drawing better later in life?

Get a life dude lol

lol

10 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

I talked to Thibodeaux specifically about this piece - firstly - Eastman didn’t draw anything on this piece. Vodou has no clue what he’s talking about (making things up as usual). Secondly, Thibodeaux penciled the monster but Mikey is all Kirby. There is 0 reason for Thibodeaux to lie about this as no one is trying to hide that his health was ailing and there is 0 monetary gain. 
Did Thibodeaux help make it look cleaner when he inked it? 
Absolutely

Gnite zzz

lol

A different ID used that same sign-off a few years back..., and I'm glad you're getting your rest, but I hope you haven't broken Board rules by having two IDs ;)

Oh and because you're my favorite Mitch-flipper (of Miller Sin City "grails"): lollollol ...just for you :)

11 hours ago, vodou said:

A different ID used that same sign-off a few years back..., and I'm glad you're getting your rest, but I hope you haven't broken Board rules by having two IDs ;)

Oh and because you're my favorite Mitch-flipper (of Miller Sin City "grails"): lollollol ...just for you :)

That’s great someone else said “gnite” at the end of their message and you remembered this useless information.. And yeah needed the rest after reading all that nonsense. 
Appreciate you looking out for me - I’ll keep in mind not to have 2 IDs 😉

lol that’s a new one “ favorite Mitch-flipper of Sin City grails” - so you are also accusing me of being a flipper of sin city grails lollollol

What other fantasies you got? :popcorn:

Edited by RICKYBOBBY

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 7:46 PM, vodou said:

This?

image.png.d142f590223cd18c9f628b825ecc90f0.png

To be blunt...you're looking at a wonderful Thibodeaux/Eastman (on their respective characters) production here. Did Jack hold a pencil, push it around somewhere on a piece of paper making some marks? Sure, why not, my cat can do that too, but nobody would have bought either of them. It took the other two guys to make it look like anything worth owning. And that signature...might as well have used a stamp (copyright Thibodeaux?)...it's not Jack's and it's nothing Jack could do in 1992/93/94. Even a decade earlier things were getting...shaky.

To be 100% clear, the previous owner had this piece signed by Eastman in 2016.  Outside of being the co-creator of the TMNT, Eastman had nothing to do with the creation of this piece of art. 

1 minute ago, Turtle said:

To be 100% clear, the previous owner had this piece signed by Eastman in 2016.  Outside of being the co-creator of the TMNT, Eastman had nothing to do with the creation of this piece of art. 

That clarifies the presence of Eastman's signature and turtle head drawing. Thanks @Turtle.

My only point is if this is how Jack Kirby was drawing in 1987:

image.png.8c327617dcdff9cf63e10c14a062b0a3.png

What do you think he was drawing like in 1992 (the date given for the Turtles piece) - better, same, or worse than 1987? I suggest applying Occam's Razor to inform your best guess and not forget Mike Thibodeux's role too, and the the fact that "Jack Kirby anything" would always sell for at least 15x "Mike Thibodeaux anything".

You seem to be going pretty far out of your way to dump on a piece that I own and enjoy and I'm not really sure why.  I'm not selling it.  If I were, you don't have to buy it. 

You're free to think whatever you want, but if you can't say anything nice...

14 minutes ago, Turtle said:

You seem to be going pretty far out of your way to dump on a piece that I own and enjoy and I'm not really sure why.  I'm not selling it.  If I were, you don't have to buy it. 

Yup he sure is. And going far out there with no proof of anything. Just ramming is opinion down peoples throat and make fun of anyone who disagrees with him. What foolish behavior (tsk)

17 minutes ago, Turtle said:

You seem to be going pretty far out of your way to dump on a piece that I own and enjoy and I'm not really sure why.

WHY: Any later than early 80s Jack Kirby attribution artwork that doesn't look bad is going to get the same from me. It's educational to the hobby - has nothing to do with you or your specific piece, attribution/date aside.

This is a service I provide the hobby free-of-charge :)

21 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Nice to everyone else, all a matter of perspective. Depending on what you paid and how much of that price was based on "Jack Kirby", you might wish you'd known then too. I'm putting it out there for the next guy.

17 minutes ago, vodou said:

WHY: Any later than early 80s Jack Kirby attribution artwork that doesn't look bad is going to get the same from me. It's educational to the hobby - has nothing to do with you or your specific piece, attribution/date aside.

Nice to everyone else, all a matter of perspective. Depending on what you paid and how much of that price was based on "Jack Kirby", you might wish you'd known then too. I'm putting it out there for the next guy.

Cool...

This is a topic about a hypothetical commission one could get from Jack Kirby.  At it's core, this thread is a celebration of Jack Kirby's work.  Your knowledge about the subject has its place, but this thread isn't it.

It's a little hard to believe that it nothing to do with my specific piece when you cite the date, subject, and collaborator.  If it's "educational for the hobby", then don't try to doublespeak.  Own it. 

And to be clear once again, I did a lot of research before purchasing this piece.  I knew everything I needed to know going into the purchase and have no regrets. 

I have this piece posted in the Copper Age TMNT thread.  It's also posted on CAF.  Are you going to bash it there too in the name of education?  Of course not...because it wouldn't be appropriate.  It's the same way you wouldn't see a stranger on the street and announce publicly that you don't like their sweater.  It doesn't offer any educational value.  It only offers your opinion and only serves to sow bad vibes.  That is to say, it would be better if you had said nothing at all. 

Offering your opinion and portraying it as "educational for the hobby" isn't a service that people asked for.  If someone started a thread asking "What do you think of this Jack Kirby piece?" or "At what years was Jack Kirby at his peak?", then by all means, chime in and drop that knowledge. 

This seems to be an issue of a lack of social awareness.  Since it seemed lost on you the last time, I'll finish the quote:

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. 

42 minutes ago, vodou said:

What's your stance on Captain Victory and the later Topps creations Secret City/Bombast?

12 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Offering your opinion and portraying it as "educational for the hobby" isn't a service that people asked for.  If someone started a thread asking "What do you think of this Jack Kirby piece?" or "At what years was Jack Kirby at his peak?", then by all means, chime in and drop that knowledge. 

Asked and answered below by Blastaar, a newer collector. He brought up dates:quality metric directly in response to your piece; I responded to that.

And btw it is fantastic, but what makes it so is Thibodeaux not Kirby, including the highly stylized Jack Kirby signature with the exact same flourish as Mike Thibodeaux's below it in the margin.

On 2/13/2020 at 9:57 AM, Turtle said:

Jack Kirby's work is the link that prompted the Eastman/Laird partnership which ultimately led to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  I'd have considered asking him for a Ninja Turtle, but I'm a very lucky individual.

Since that box is checked, I'd have to go with Thing fighting Dr. Doom. :cloud9:

On 2/14/2020 at 11:42 AM, Blastaar said:

This is Fantastic! I was under the impression that his work began to suffer in the late 80's, but this being 92' shows that he was as impressive as ever. 

On 2/14/2020 at 12:13 PM, vodou said:

According to some, Jack very best work was the same week he passed. YMMV lol

On 2/14/2020 at 1:33 PM, Blastaar said:

I'm not in the know....whatchutalkin about?

On 2/14/2020 at 3:04 PM, vodou said:

On 2/14/2020 at 4:14 PM, Blastaar said:

So in the case of the TMNT piece you have 3 artist signing off on it (Kirby, Eastman, Thibodeaux). Would be hard to imagine that he didn't work on it...right?

On 2/14/2020 at 7:46 PM, vodou said:

This?

image.png.d142f590223cd18c9f628b825ecc90f0.png

To be blunt...you're looking at a wonderful Thibodeaux/Eastman (on their respective characters) production here. Did Jack hold a pencil, push it around somewhere on a piece of paper making some marks? Sure, why not, my cat can do that too, but nobody would have bought either of them. It took the other two guys to make it look like anything worth owning. And that signature...might as well have used a stamp (copyright Thibodeaux?)...it's not Jack's and it's nothing Jack could do in 1992/93/94. Even a decade earlier things were getting...shaky.

2 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

What's your stance on Captain Victory and the later Topps creations Secret City/Bombast?

Thanks again for asking, we should all be asking questions before spending, as many as needed, until we have actual confidence to buy not merely CONfidence supplied by the folks trying to pry bucks out of our wallets :)

My stance (opinion, of course) is that everything after Jack's return to comics from Hanna-Barbera is problematic. Either it's not very attractive (subjective, of course) to me (and that tells me: it's Jack all day long) or it's quite nice and thus much more the inker/finisher I'm responding to not Jack Kirby's participation. Let's be clear: I'm buying artwork not signatures, so if I'm looking for something Jack Kirby, there needs to be a lot of Jack Kirby art there! That's another separate problem right there: because anything Jack sneezed on a seller will price "to Jack market" and I'm not interested in paying up for that.

The latest Jack Kirby comic art I find attractive enough to own at a price I feel is commensurate with his involvement in the final piece in front of me is: Jack Kirby's Bicenntennial Return to Marvel era.